Date: 21-05-24  Time: 18:01 pm

Author Topic: So, front or back?  (Read 3109 times)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
So, front or back?
« on: 20 January 2013, 11:32:16 pm »
I'm thinkin of getting some luggage and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on tailpacks vs tankbags? I wont need panniers as theres no chance of taking a pillion.
thou shalt not kick

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
Re: So, front or back?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2013, 11:51:51 pm »
get it all
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2013, 02:02:33 am »
I use a tank bag as it is easy to take off and take with you when you leave the bike for stops - lunch etc and soft panniers (no heat problem with an FZ6)  as they can be slung beneath the seat for security and lets face it- who wants my dirty washing..... no dont answer that  :eek

I tried a tail pack and couldnt get on with it as I couldnt sling my leg over the bike and ended up sort of hopping on to the bike in a most ungainly manner

59 going on 57

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2013, 02:14:55 am »
Forgot- had the same set-up on the old FZS6 also

59 going on 57

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2013, 04:26:30 am »
i prefere tankbag over tail bag for few reasons,i can see its still attached to bike while im riding(seen a tail bag fall off before!)can put directions/map in clear top pocket(still use a wrote down directions over a sat nav) ,can get my leg over easyer (on bike of course) and take pillion if needed!
iv also got small top box wen i need it and throw over soft panniers (that i hardly ever use)
iv also got a small tank bag that i use for just go to shops etc to put a few daft bits in and so easy to just place on tank
the only downside of tank bag is can mark your paintwork if you get crap on it thru magnets(but only if you pick up metal swarf etc from work like i can do!

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2013, 06:05:50 am »
 :)    Regular Question .. Simple answer .. Yes .. get it all.

Baglux Tank Cover & Bag set.  Ideal for all the bits and bobs required during your voyage  8)  Easy off and back on when you stop.   Just fold it forward to fuel up, no need to remove.

Cargo Soft Throw-Over pannier bags .. Pack, Unpack, Throw half away, Re-pack and Ride  :lol   This helps to keep weight low and distributed between stem and Stearn.

The whole kit is also easy to remove when you want the bike to look well cool again  :b  .. mostly on dry sunny Sunday's (in Spain  ;) ).

Stay Safe  ;)     Trev     The Polar Bear.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2013, 07:57:27 am »
+1 for the Baglux kit, its saved my fuel tank more than once and the bags are well made.

I prefer a tailpack personally for big load carrying, I've used an oxford lifetime sports for the past 12 years on my long distance commute. Mega Secure, it ain't going anywhere when put on with all the bungees, and they're tough bags.

If your feeling a bit flush, look at the Ventura system, its brilliant design and can be removed from the bike in seconds, rack and all. I've used the rack as I was given one by a friend and put it on my fzs600, but I didn't own the bags so I can't comment on those.

Best thing I've used for my daily work commute is a givi top box. It doesn't get any simpler or more secure than that! I miss it like mad now that I haven't got one anymore.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2013, 08:25:21 am »
My top-box once caught on the back overhang of a flatbed truck when I was filtering, almost brought me to a complete stop!

On the other hand I could stuff all my gear in there when I got to work, boots, leathers and lid.

Tanks bags also stop you getting your chin on the tank.

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2013, 10:45:52 am »
prefer a top box myself.. doesnt get in the way like a tail pack.. you can still carry a pillion, its a lot more secure than textile and its a piece of cake to take on and off..
saying that if Im doing a weekend away and the wifes there I add a tank bag too.. side panniers just get in her way and she has trouble getting on and off..
I have a tail pack too which I have used on occasion but tend not to fit it on the seat but the top box rack if I aint got the box on..
Each has its own advantages..
Budgie

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2013, 11:31:55 am »
Don't like big tank bags, I would only use a small tank bag with topbox/panniers/tailpack.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2013, 11:53:42 am »
I use a tank bag as it is easy to take off and take with you when you leave the bike for stops

Interestingly I went with hard luggage (top box and panniers) for the opposite reason: when I get off for a stop I don't need to take anything with me because it's all secure on the bike

(Also if, gods forbid, you drop it, the luggage will take some of the impact before the bike!)

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2013, 03:14:57 pm »
Definitely tank bag. Way too useful, and when it's too full, you can just hold it down with your chin as your ride.  ;)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2013, 03:42:04 pm »
I've used a magnetic tank bag on my gen II And had the thing flip up on me on the motorway due to the plastic tank shroud not working with the front magnets  :\ attached it to my pillion seat for everyday riding now.

I was after a rack/top box too until I found out it ruined the gen II handling at motorway speeds. Luckily it doesn't affect the fazer 600 below 140  :rolleyes
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2013, 08:11:41 pm »
I do use the anti slip mats (Aldi about £1) to protect my tank and I have never had one flip up on me and have never used the front strap.... perhaps because I am leaning on it with my large belly and that holds it down  :D in place
59 going on 57

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2013, 11:51:11 pm »
Top boxes are brilliant!!
Safe, secure, you can stuff tons of kit in them, stick a pad on and they are excellent for pillions to lean on, makes them feel more secure.
Much easier to get on and off the bike than a tail pack etc etc..........
And I HATE them! They look shit and ruin the lines of any bike, rattle around, giant air brake, did I mention they look shit :lol
And on a final note, if you ever happen to pick up a bag of samples from Lyons foods in Runcorn, to be taken to a photographers in Manchester, and you put them in your top box, try to ensure the big tub of curry powder doesnt explode somewhere along the way. Your topbox will stink for quite some considerable time ;)
Once, we were couriers..........
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2013, 11:53:24 pm »
Dont you mean curryers?

I'm sorry
thou shalt not kick

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2013, 12:10:51 am »
Dont you mean curryers?

I'm sorry

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2013, 09:00:50 am »
Not used a tailpack but I have got/used a tank bag.  Tends to get in the way a bit when manoeuvring so I prefer to use the topbox.  Motorway/DC when you're going straight it's fine though.  Plus you can put a map/gps in the top.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2013, 10:55:07 pm »
Yep- long motorway rides can lean on the tnak bag and take the weight off your wrists (at lower speeds) :D
59 going on 57