Date: 18-05-24  Time: 22:13 pm

Author Topic: Nolan N90 Classic - Opinions Please!!!  (Read 5207 times)

trotsky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Nolan N90 Classic - Opinions Please!!!
« on: 25 March 2013, 07:41:47 pm »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Nolan N90 Classic - Opinions Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2013, 08:45:16 pm »
Most important is to get to a shop and try it on for fit first.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2013, 10:09:04 pm »
Seriously you cannot buy a lid without trying it on first.

If you're not bothered about colours or the latest models and gadgets there are plenty of bargains to be had, punt around some shops like HG and local bike shops.

Personally I wouldn't wear anything without a gold sticker and I doubt if this Nolan has one of those - looks like polycarbonate to me, best avoided.

trotsky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2013, 10:16:46 pm »
Hi Streetbudgie,

I probably didn't precise my question.
I didn't mean buying without trying but I meant quality and durability. And thats a lot for what you have just said.
Could you advice what makes and models would you recomend? Bearing in mind I will definitely go and try myslelf before buying, but I would like someone's experienced opinion what could/should be worn as a protection af my brain :-)

Thanks
T.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2013, 10:40:22 pm »
With lids it's all about what fits you, you will find you have a certain shaped head that will suit some lids and not others, go to Hein Gericke and try a few on, usually less pressure sales in HG so you can try some then go away and think about what you want to spend because...

that's the next main element of choosing a lid, you get what you pay for.

Generally look for a gold acu sticker on the lid, most decent makes such as Caberg, AGV, Shoei and Arai have them.

Avoid polycarbonate lids they are not anywhere near as resistant as fibreglass.

The lid should be snug but not uncomfortably tight, the cheek pads should push on your cheeks and leave an indent without feeling like your face is being squashed.

For example I cannot wear Shoei lids, I've tried many and even bought one which didn't feel too bad but ended up in the cupboard as it gave me a headache and made the top of my head feel like it was being squashed.

Arai on the other hand fit me perfectly and I always have one of them but AGV fit OK as well.

trotsky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2013, 10:42:44 pm »
Hi,

Thanks and that was a kind of answer I was looking for :) .

Best.
T.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2013, 12:31:41 am »
I am a http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ kinda guy myself.

Neither of my caberg's have gold stickers but they are 5* rated.

If you don't plan on doing a track day it doesn't matter. A lotta perfectly good lids don't have a gold sticker.

Just my 2p.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2013, 08:33:35 am by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
Gold ACU sticker means nothing from a safety point of view, the ACU don't have a lab & don't test helmets.

A few years ago a reporter from MCN posing as a new Chinese helmet manufacturer contacted the ACU & enquired about how to get a new lid ACU approved.  The answer was to send them photos, proof that it had been granted BS/EU safety approval & a cheque for (IIRC) £3,500 & they'd then approve it & send him 10,000 ACU gold stickers!

trotsky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2013, 09:14:00 pm »
Pat,

so I am now very confused. What lids(manufacturers) should I consider???

Thanks

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2013, 10:50:00 pm »
Webbikeworld listed it as their helmet of the year

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n90/
[/size]
[/size]Lots of praise for it - I couldn't find a dealer with it in stock when I looked so got a Shoei xr1100 which I love but it looks good

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2013, 12:12:37 am »
All of the lids should meet the required standard (I forget it's name).

The more you spend the more time and effort will have been put in to making the helmet safe, comfortable, ventilated and aerodynamic.

A lot of manufacturers will add on a premium for race replicas but I guess a Nolan doesn't fit in to that category.

The most important thing is to try it on, beyond that the opinions are like ass holes. Everyone has one.

Form your own judgement but please try it on before you buy. It had to fit the shape of your head.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2013, 12:39:55 pm »
Gold ACU sticker means nothing from a safety point of view, the ACU don't have a lab & don't test helmets.

A few years ago a reporter from MCN posing as a new Chinese helmet manufacturer contacted the ACU & enquired about how to get a new lid ACU approved.  The answer was to send them photos, proof that it had been granted BS/EU safety approval & a cheque for (IIRC) £3,500 & they'd then approve it & send him 10,000 ACU gold stickers!

Interesting, please explain why you need a gold ACU sticker to use your helmet on any race track in the UK if it has nothing to do with safety?

Maybe the above was to highlight a problem with the ACU approval process which is now dealt with?

The very fact that MCN (that fine reputable tome) did this must have been to reveal something misleading about the sticker which indicates that it should mean something.

If you want to wear a polycarbonate helmet then that's your choice, personally I would put as much trust in one of those ridiculous cycle helmets that people are so fond of putting their kids in.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2013, 12:53:53 pm »

Interesting, please explain why you need a gold ACU sticker to use your helmet on any race track in the UK if it has nothing to do with safety?

Maybe the above was to highlight a problem with the ACU approval process which is now dealt with?

The very fact that MCN (that fine reputable tome) did this must have been to reveal something misleading about the sticker which indicates that it should mean something.

If you want to wear a polycarbonate helmet then that's your choice, personally I would put as much trust in one of those ridiculous cycle helmets that people are so fond of putting their kids in.
I think you'll find it was a way to generate money for the ACU by giving perceived value (the sticker) via a license cost to the manufacturer.  I can't think of any test that is relevant to a track that isn't equally (or more so) relevant to road use.

Lids are down to personal preference, lack of testing standardisation means you have no idea what you're paying your money for.  If it fits and it meets ECE Regulation 22 (Europe) (2001) then it's okay for road use, that doesn't mean it's a good lid.
You pays your money and you takes your choice, just don't be under the illusion that a £400 Shoei or Arai is so much better than a £120 Caberg, as the opinions are subjective imo.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2013, 01:06:42 pm »
I don't want to think, I want to know - proof please that the Gold ACU sticker is meaningless

My first ever lid was a Centurion open faced Pinto, it cost about £10 and was polycarbonate, it was shit and split down the middle on impact, polycarbonate lids may pass the ECE regs but they don't pass mine - and no, the technology behind polycarbonate has not moved on.

I was 16, skint and ignorant, if I had asked somebody for advice I would not have bought it, the OP has sensibly asked for advice and been given the options and told the truth about polycarbonate lids so they can make an informed decision.

Why fudge it?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2013, 01:46:24 pm »
I don't want to think, I want to know - proof please that the Gold ACU sticker is meaningless

My first ever lid was a Centurion open faced Pinto, it cost about £10 and was polycarbonate, it was shit and split down the middle on impact, polycarbonate lids may pass the ECE regs but they don't pass mine - and no, the technology behind polycarbonate has not moved on.

I was 16, skint and ignorant, if I had asked somebody for advice I would not have bought it, the OP has sensibly asked for advice and been given the options and told the truth about polycarbonate lids so they can make an informed decision.

Why fudge it?
How about you prove that the acu sticker means something. Telling someone else to do the research is a bit of a cheek  :rolleyes

Feel free to express your opinion as much as you like. Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one.

I'm sure you can't justify yours as much as I can't justify mine.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2013, 01:57:06 pm »
My research is based on what I am told by the Bike Shop Owner selling me a helmet - he or she is an industry expert and explained to me that the Gold ACU sicker is an indication that the helmet is approved for racing and built to the highest standard.

You are the person telling me and the OP that's not true so why should I do the research for you? And why state something then admit you can't justify it?

Don't fudge it for him, he has had good advice that polycarbonate lids are not as good as fibreglass and been advised to talk to local Bike Shop Owner and buy the best he can afford.

trotsky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2013, 02:38:17 pm »
Hi guys,

I didn't want to create any tension between you/us.
You are all the foccers and i might join you one day and I don't want to cause any argument. its not what i would want.
Peace and Love  :D
Trotsky

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
My research is based on what I am told by the Bike Shop Owner selling me a helmet - he or she is an industry expert and explained to me that the Gold ACU sicker is an indication that the helmet is approved for racing and built to the highest standard.

You are the person telling me and the OP that's not true so why should I do the research for you? And why state something then admit you can't justify it?

Don't fudge it for him, he has had good advice that polycarbonate lids are not as good as fibreglass and been advised to talk to local Bike Shop Owner and buy the best he can afford.

The last time I checked you didn't need a degree in engineering or even be a subject matter expert to be a salesman/woman.  A bike shop owner is not an industry expert, they are a person trying to sell a helmet.  Have they had an accident in each helmet they sell ?, have they even tried every helmet they sell ?  I think not.  Don't confuse a shop owner with an industry expert.

Since you're not doing any research and are basing your opinion on the equivalent of someone that is trying to sell and expensive safety item to you I think you need to reassess your decision making skills and become a bit more objective.

Like I said before, I'm no expert, but I don't think you, or your salesman friend should be classified as such either.  Let someone make up their own mind without spreading FUD.

I'm not going to argue with you any more as you're obviously set in your ways.  If you decide to find some objectivity and base your discussion on logic,reason and science then I'll have a reasoned debate with you.

Peace out.

:)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2013, 04:05:03 pm »
Hi guys,

I didn't want to create any tension between you/us.
You are all the foccers and i might join you one day and I don't want to cause any argument. its not what i would want.
Peace and Love  :D
Trotsky

Don't worry shit gets thrown in every direction on this forum and you learn how to duck or stand and argue back (albeit covered in shit) - that's just how it works...

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2013, 04:43:04 pm »

The last time I checked you didn't need a degree in engineering or even be a subject matter expert to be a salesman/woman.  A bike shop owner is not an industry expert, they are a person trying to sell a helmet.  Have they had an accident in each helmet they sell ?, have they even tried every helmet they sell ?  I think not.  Don't confuse a shop owner with an industry expert.

Since you're not doing any research and are basing your opinion on the equivalent of someone that is trying to sell and expensive safety item to you I think you need to reassess your decision making skills and become a bit more objective.

Like I said before, I'm no expert, but I don't think you, or your salesman friend should be classified as such either.  Let someone make up their own mind without spreading FUD.

I'm not going to argue with you any more as you're obviously set in your ways.  If you decide to find some objectivity and base your discussion on logic,reason and science then I'll have a reasoned debate with you.

Peace out.

Oh I get it, you're a 'last word door slammer', plenty of them on here in the past.

All I have read from you is what is no good according to your theory based on a newspaper article printed some years ago - how about offering the OP some actual advice based on your extensive helmet experience - do you wear a polycarbonate helmet or a fibre glass one?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2013, 05:07:55 pm »

Peace out.

Oh I get it, you're a 'last word door slammer', plenty of them on here in the past.

All I have read from you is what is no good according to your theory based on a newspaper article printed some years ago - how about offering the OP some actual advice based on your extensive helmet experience - do you wear a polycarbonate helmet or a fibre glass one?

Oooh, nice troll response.  You'd made a great police negotiator.  I have a Caberg V2 407 and a Caberg Duke.  I also never said I have extensive helmet experience, I expressly said a number of times "I'm no expert".

Even in the face of massive opinion you stick by your belief that the ACU gold sticker has mystical powers despite the large number of google pages returned by the query "acu sticker" which do not support your perspective.

This is an interesting link though showing that ACU are trying to claw back some respect from the industry.  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/acu-gold-sticker.htm

I'm not a "last word door slammer" whatever one of those is (I suspect you just made that up).  I just know when I'm talking to someone that is unable to accept any opinion other than their own.  I wasn't even expressing an opinion, as I don't have one.  All I said was it is personal choice and don't let people tell you that spending a lot of money is justified based on objective safety testing rather than personal opinion.

ChrisJH

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2013, 08:18:07 am »
HG in Manchester have a limited stock of ex demonstrator ones on sale now for £49.99
i don`t have anything profound or funny to write so .............................

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2013, 08:32:19 am »
HG in Manchester have a limited stock of ex demonstrator ones on sale now for £49.99

Great deal but I'd be worried about people treating demo kit with any respect. It coulda been dropped/bounced on the floor any number of times.

It'd be worth being careful with any ex demo buy imo.  Like I said before though, great price.