Date: 18-05-24  Time: 17:46 pm

Author Topic: What grease?  (Read 2400 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
What grease?
« on: 30 June 2013, 12:42:32 pm »
Centre stand is no longer smooth and gets stuck half-way up and needs to be lifted by hand. So I want to take it off to clean and grease it.

Having had no spanner experience before biking I need to ask what grease to use. There seems to be many mentioned on an internet search - lithium, white, or mostly just "grease". I already have copper grease - is this good for the job or should I get something else?

And finally is this a job I can do myself - have read darsi's thread http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,2879.0.html however I would suggest that there is a gap between his years of experience and expertise and my own :)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: What grease?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2013, 12:57:34 pm »
I hope yours comes off easier than mine. My centrestand has been getting harder to use lately as it's developed a twist... it was fight to get the r/h bolt undone, had to take the angle grinder to the rounded-off locknut in the end.
Grease: main requirement there is something really thick that's going to stay put. I use Castrol Heavy.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2013, 12:59:48 pm »
I'm not altogether positive you need to take the stand off to do what you want.  Clean all the gunk off, use a degreaser, move it through it's entire range of movement.

A different bike, but you might learn some useful info on this page http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.qgntgwplktwyjcps&pageId=2214557

But in answer to your question, I am sure copper grease will be fine, just don't put much on.

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/26806#.UdAdm_msiSo
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=6868.0
http://www.bikerforum.co.uk/topic/8355-centre-stand-spring/page__view__findpost__p__85378
« Last Edit: 30 June 2013, 01:05:08 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2013, 01:08:21 pm »
Try lubricating with engine oil if you want to use grease lithium/general purpose or molydisulphide.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2013, 01:13:32 pm »
Some lithium grease should do the job, you can usually pick up some cheap stuff from the pound shop.

Andy

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2013, 02:01:38 pm »
I'd probably go with lithium grease as well - seems a bit more resistant to water / muck than copper. I use copper on bolt threads to prevent corrosion more than anything else

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2013, 03:43:14 pm »
I could be very wrong but the reason it may be sticking might be because the stand is twisted, they have a bad habit of doing that?

As suggested i would degrease the joints first with brake cleaner, or whatever you have, and see if it helps at all. Then a heavy lithium grease is what i'd also use.

Don't bother with copper grease, that's used more to stop metals bonding together, rather than a moving parts lubricant.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2013, 04:50:36 pm »
Don't bother with copper grease, that's used more to stop metals bonding together, rather than a moving parts lubricant.

Yep, only use copper grease on nuts and bolts so they don't get stuck, normal grease on moving parts.

Tbh I wouldn't be too concerned about what type (lithiumetc) just greasing its going to be better than no grease at all!
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2013, 05:22:30 pm »
Looking on 1000s corner, twisted stand seems to be a prelude to the thing breaking altogether, dumping the bike on the floor. If you're taking it off, might be a good idea to check that it's not cracked. Don't know if this has been a problem on the 6's?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2013, 05:34:03 pm »
Looking on 1000s corner, twisted stand seems to be a prelude to the thing breaking altogether, dumping the bike on the floor. If you're taking it off, might be a good idea to check that it's not cracked. Don't know if this has been a problem on the 6's?

Yeah, they start with a bit of rust first, then twist.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2013, 06:07:52 pm »
A big thanks for all the replies :thumbup I think I'll leave it in place for now but try to clean it with chain cleaner and lube it with engine oil, see what that does.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2013, 08:14:38 pm »
I've got some white spray grease that does the job. Came from the WD 40 range that they brought out a while ago but does the job, even if it splatters a bit.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2013, 08:16:15 pm »
http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=WD1020&gclid=CMnnle2-jLgCFWzItAod22gADA

That's the bugger!

Got some of their de-greasant as well that does the job too...

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2013, 09:31:44 pm »
Noticed mine was sticking yesterday (dont use the main stand much) I just gave it a few squirts of 3in1 oil and its fine again now!!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2013, 09:47:11 pm »
When my centre stand twisted it was due to severe corrosion of curved tubular bridge section which has been cut out & a new piece welded in, restoring shape & strength If you can remove the stand bolts/nuts the shouldered part of the bolt dries out and gets rusty. Clean off & use lithium based grease on reassembly. Otherwise spray grease with "straw" attachment into the parts between stand & frame bearers. Double check springs ok-they do wear out intime.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2013, 12:13:41 am »
That tub would last me 20 years!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2013, 12:14:00 am »
Centre stand is no longer smooth and gets stuck half-way up and needs to be lifted by hand. So I want to take it off to clean and grease it.

Having had no spanner experience before biking I need to ask what grease to use. There seems to be many mentioned on an internet search - lithium, white, or mostly just "grease". I already have copper grease - is this good for the job or should I get something else?

And finally is this a job I can do myself - have read darsi's thread http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,2879.0.html however I would suggest that there is a gap between his years of experience and expertise and my own :)

Spray WD40 liberally on the spring and around the 2 bolts attaching it to the frame. Move it up and down to see if it frees out. If so it just needs greasing. I usually use good quality chain grease and it works fine. Worst case scenario is that it is starting to crack and needs to be replaced. Not a difficult job just awkward to get at.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2013, 08:27:23 am »
I use some spray lubricant. I believe it is mixture of teflon (PTFE, whatever they call it) and lithium soap base lubricant. Easy to just spray beneath the bike.

If you want to be thorough: 1st some degreaser, then wash it off, then some WD40. Let it drip. Then apply some grease and spray lubricant.

I got cheap some red "coplex lithium grease". It is very good. This explains advantages:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28381/grease-lithium-production-resistance

The complex grease doesn't get more gummy in cold than the regular one, at least it appears that way.

When in doubt:

Elastica - Vaseline

Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.