Date: 28-04-24  Time: 08:56 am

Author Topic: Installing HID Kit - Help & Advice Please  (Read 2937 times)

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Installing HID Kit - Help & Advice Please
« on: 08 November 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
I have a 02 Fazer 1000 and i have just ordered the following HID kit http://www.parkingsensoronline.co.uk/h4-hid-conversion-kit-p-327.html. I have spoken to the owner and he has confirmed that they are small Ballasts and should fit quite easily. I have also ordered the additional loom that supplies power to each bulb independently. Is there anyone that has any experience of installing a HID kit on a Fazer 1000 and could offer some advice please? :)
« Last Edit: 08 November 2011, 10:47:12 pm by gel »

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
Re: Installing HID Kit - Help & Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2011, 09:28:27 am »
I think on an '02 you still have a headlight switch so you should be OK - on my '05 which has no switch I couldn't get the HID's to fire up reliably. HID's seem to need the engine running before switching on the headlights. I had no such problems with the same kit previously on my FZS600.

Other than that the kit I had (not from your supplier) was a pretty straightforward plug and play with using the existing bulb power supply to the ballasts.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2011, 10:22:16 am »
The Kit has connectors to the pwer supply to the lights and also a power feed from the battery, I am hoping this this should resolve the issue when the engine is not running. I am still trying to work out where the Ballasts should be mounted so that they are out of the weather, do you have any ideas? Thank you for your response.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2011, 10:35:48 am »
If they are small enough you may be able to mount them behind/underneath the clocks. You will need to remove the screen to gain access.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2011, 10:45:31 am »
Hi Gel...not sure why you would wire to the battery as there will be a live feed somewhere near the front of the bike. I fitted HIDs to my first 600 and rather than fit the ballasts behind the clocks  I zip tied them to the frame rails below the tank. Knowing what I know now I would get the sticky velcro and fasten them inside the fairing behind the indicator mounts so that they are easily accessed by removing the infill panel, neat and effective rather than mess about with fairing removal etc. There should be loads of room.
The Frying Scotsman

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2011, 12:44:01 pm »
Thanks Guys, this is a great help, just spoken to the supplier and they should be with me on Friday, so a weekend of tinkering is ahead of me. I'll let you know how a got on an post some pics.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2011, 08:40:46 pm »
Just follow the instructions - it's pretty straighforward. First time I did it I put the ballasts under the infill panels. Second time around behind the clocks.

Be aware that from 1 Jan aftermarket HIDs are an automatic MOT fail (AFAIK this applies to bikes too). Passed my last 3 MOTs with them in but will put the standard bulbs in for my next test.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2011, 08:57:03 am »
How did you mount them behind the infill panel, also I am going to have to cut the rubber backing around the headlight as the current opening is too small. If a make a mistake, are these espensive to replace?

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2011, 10:47:03 am »
Double sided tape onto inside of fairing and cable tied to existing wiring. Cable ties are important because the tape doesn't last that long  :D
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2011, 06:43:11 pm »
Update on progress, got everything mounted and wired up, but had complete nightmare with getting the bulb attachment to mount properly, tried different ways but the back of the bulb mount was so long that it fouled the infills. Rang the supplier and they finally admitted that is was for a car not a bike and agreed to give me my money back. What a waist of time  :wall

Back on Halegen, Less Hassle. Thank you for all your advice, its been a great help.