Date: 03-05-24  Time: 16:28 pm

Author Topic: Chain & Sprocket change..  (Read 3206 times)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Chain & Sprocket change..
« on: 10 December 2013, 11:08:16 am »
It is now time to change the chain and sprocket on my bike. I have already bought  genuine Yamaha items. I have been quoted £45 for labour by the guy who MOT'd my bike. Is it reasonable?

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Chain & Sprocket change..
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2013, 03:21:38 pm »
£45 is on the high end of the scale, but if he is a top notch mechanic then its ok........how long has he quoted you for the job, as an hour is plenty to have a couple of tea breaks thrown in too

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2013, 03:50:01 pm »
£45 is on the high end of the scale, but if he is a top notch mechanic then its ok........how long has he quoted you for the job, as an hour is plenty to have a couple of tea breaks thrown in too

The garage where he works don't do bike repairs...they only MOT them so he wants me to leave the bike there and he can work on it in between jobs during the day.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2013, 04:04:59 pm »
To be honest I'd rather pay more for a proper bike mechanic although the chain and sprockets is not to difficult to do.......do you have bike shop near you

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2013, 04:21:51 pm »
He is a bike mechanic as he does bike MOT and is also rebuilding 2 bikes. But I think I will phone local bike shop and get it done locally.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2013, 07:39:59 pm »
It is now time to change the chain and sprocket on my bike. I have already bought  genuine Yamaha items. I have been quoted £45 for labour by the guy who MOT'd my bike. Is it reasonable?

If its an endless chain requiring removal of the swingarm, then it's cheap,

If its a rivet link chain then it should only take 40 mins max, so including VAT, it's probably ok

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2013, 11:20:29 am »

If its a rivet link chain then it should only take 40 mins max, so including VAT, it's probably ok

It is a rivet link. I don't like the idea of leaving my bike there for the whole day ( and it is 10 miles from my home ) so I will have to find a proper bike repairers to do it while I wait.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2013, 12:26:47 pm »

It is a rivet link. I don't like the idea of leaving my bike there for the whole day ( and it is 10 miles from my home ) so I will have to find a proper bike repairers to do it while I wait.

I only asked because I thought the yamaha one was endless and therefore required the swing arm removed, I could be wrong though!

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2013, 01:50:48 pm »

I only asked because I thought the yamaha one was endless and therefore required the swing arm removed, I could be wrong though!

I could be wrong there as I've not opened the box. It was just my belief that all chains had links! Stand corrected...

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2013, 03:46:42 pm »
Just phoned the Yamaha dealer and they want £75. Said it takes about an hour. So £45 it is!

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2013, 09:43:18 am »
It's all done...my mate did the job for me. It was an endless chain but it also came with a link. All he had to do was split the chain and then use the supplied link. It took him an hour as the nut holding the front sprocket was a bit hard to take off otherwise it's an easy job and I'll do the next one if I've still got the bike.

Dimitis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2014, 04:03:30 pm »
Does enybody know if there is any diference to the chain and sprokes of the FZ6S 04 to the later models? I read some adverts for these items that seperate the 03-04 models to the 07 onwards or fit 04 models to 09.   

Dimitis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2014, 08:53:47 pm »
I am not asking for the tool, I was asking if the sprokets from later models fit the 04.

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2014, 01:50:50 am »

Does anyone actually bother with endless chains anymore?