Date: 18-05-24  Time: 09:14 am

Author Topic: Squeeking from front end......  (Read 1335 times)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Squeeking from front end......
« on: 24 May 2012, 07:51:26 pm »
On my way home the other night my bike developed a loud squeek from the front, as I'd stripped and cleaned my brakes at the weekend ready for the MOT I thought it could be linked. No ! I removed both calipers, it still squeeked, on removing the front wheel a small piece of speedo drive fell out . On inspection the drive had no drive one lug was on the floor the other nowhere to be seen  and the pick up was packed full of grease, is this correct? For now I've glued the single lug back on and washed out all the grease and the squeek has gone. My question (finally) is when I fit the new drive should it be packed with grease or not?

Andy (Squeek free)

MOT Passed by the way.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Squeeking from front end......
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2012, 09:15:53 pm »
The lugs on the speedo drive fit into slots, if it's just randomly put back on the lugs snap off, and were probably the cause of that squeak.
I'd imagine it's a common mistake to make, i did it myself when i first took my wheel off years ago, and i read about it quite often.
But yes it should be packed with grease.
Washing out grease is a very bad idea. When things go round they generally need lubrication.
I very much doubt gluing the lug back on will work either, it'll just happen again probably, and you were fortunate to pass the MOT because i doubt that your speedo is working properly as it is??
I'd get it sorted sooner rather than later otherwise your next thing will be a speeding ticket!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012, 11:11:09 pm »
Speedo works fine as it did when it squeeked. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be lubricating though so I just wondered if other people who'd had the front wheel out had grease packed in to their drive?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 11:41:43 pm »
noticed mine had grease in it when i had front wheel out?....but whoever had done used ..white grease??

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2012, 06:30:44 am »
Just for the record, i saw this yesterday whilst looking something up........
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2012, 11:28:00 am »
Lithium based grease it is then, when I fit my new drive I'll lube it up. But first I need to order one..........Still I did change my front sproket nut yesterday and tightened it up to 90Nm only took about 30min. But today looks more like riding weather.

Cheers

Andy