Date: 18-05-24  Time: 08:01 am

Author Topic: Spotlights  (Read 4266 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Spotlights
« on: 20 April 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
I've just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.zenoverland.com/lighting/rigid_industries_dually.html

Meant to be the latest & greatest but I have not yet figured out where & how I'll mount them to my Fazer. The original plan was to fit them to some Renntec engine bars but I have gone off that idea as I'm quite happy with the crash bungs fitted now. That would be the easy way to do it though!

Just wondered if anybody had done something similar before or have any bright ideas? I have been thinking about the forks (with a clamp), mirrors mounts, and those seemingly redundant holes on each side or the frame (just behind the radiator) as possible locations. Not keen on any mods that are non-reversable.

Thoughts much appreciated!

Fuzzy

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
Re: Spotlights
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2012, 11:10:54 pm »
God there big 3 inch sqaure  :eek

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2012, 11:33:21 pm »
Yeah, suppose they're big compared to some but they looked alright fitted to bikes in photos. Hadn't really thought about it...we'll see when they arrive.....

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2012, 11:46:33 pm »
Cluck.... £145. Post some photos when fitted please

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 09:36:15 pm »
Right, finally got these installed over the weekend. In the end I went with crash bars for the mounting location and had to replace my tatty crash bungs in the process. It was a pretty easy install after I had got all the parts I needed. Needs a little tidying up, I'll start with replacing all the white cable ties with black ones!

Here is the result before aiming and adjustment. The offside lamp is still a little lop sided although much less so than in the photo and is not so noticeable now. This is because the offside crash bar does not protrude as much and to compensate you must fix the mounts further outwards where there is a bend in the bar.

That night I went for a ride on the darkest roads I could find and honest to god, I have never been so gobsmacked by anything I have done to my bike so far. The output of these lights are amazing, better than the HID kit I had installed many times over. Even more impressive is that they do this whilst only drawing 15w each, about the same as an indicator. I was switching from highbeam only to highbeam with the spots and there is no comparison, I had to slow right down after I switched the spots off. The construction is very solid too, I don't need to worry about damage from knocks or water. My only worry is that they might be too bright for oncoming traffic if I don't switch them off in time.

To be honest I thought I had made a mistake spending so much on some lights but I am really impressed. I will get some night time shots asap.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 11:30:09 pm »
if i when down that road i would have got these look better and very bright mate got set on his gsx1400  :D
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-cree-led-running-lights.html

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 01:52:06 am »
Actually, I looked at those aswell. The ones I got are sold through Bikevis too and I believe they are more powerful although they also use Cree LEDs. They were a tad cheaper to boot so that made my mind up  :)
« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 02:02:31 am by Fuzzy »

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 01:59:04 am »
Sorry topgun, I was talking rubbish, I thought you meant another pair they also sell which look similar. Those ones you mention are a lot cheaper and don't project any light but the Duallys are driving lights (although I have been calling them spots) and would be miles more powerful than any running lights. These pump out 1300 lumens

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-rigid-industries-duallys.html

« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 02:02:00 am by Fuzzy »

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2012, 04:31:10 pm »
I like the square ones, some serious lighting power there. I don't do much nightime riding so not worth it for me. Looking forward to the nightime shots.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2012, 11:59:53 pm »
Photos don't do them justice but here they are.
  • dipped
  • high beam
  • spots only
  • high & spots

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2012, 12:02:20 am »
A few more.

• dipped
  • high
  • spots (slightly miss aimed)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2012, 09:08:10 am »
Jesus H! Hope I'm never on the opposite carriageway from you at night!

Is your bike an import? Dipped looks very "continental".

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
I noticed that too. The bike isn't a import but its possible that the headlight unit is as I replaced it recently. The pattern does look wrong but I'm not sure if the headlight mod could also be the cause. Better look into it....

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
bloody hell, can't tell the high beams on once the spots are on. Do they get hot?

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2012, 05:18:51 pm »
I was worried about this because not only does the aluminium body of the lamps basically look like huge heatsinks but also because I was mounting them quite close to the headers.

It was one of the warmest nights we've had recently when I tested them, and I was switching them on and off for around an hour and they were cool as anything when I checked afterwards, I didn't detect any heat whatsoever.

I think there must be a time when they do get hot but I reckon the conditions have got to be pretty extreme.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2012, 08:23:11 pm »
I was worried about this because not only does the aluminium body of the lamps basically look like huge heatsinks but also because I was mounting them quite close to the headers.

It was one of the warmest nights we've had recently when I tested them, and I was switching them on and off for around an hour and they were cool as anything when I checked afterwards, I didn't detect any heat whatsoever.

That's impressive indeed.

I think there must be a time when they do get hot but I reckon the conditions have got to be pretty extreme.