Date: 07-05-24  Time: 21:55 pm

Author Topic: Crash Bungs  (Read 10512 times)

Kingy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Crash Bungs
« on: 07 February 2012, 07:47:43 pm »
Are these worth it, if so any recommendations and how easy are they to fit?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Crash Bungs
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2012, 10:30:22 pm »
Are these worth it, if so any recommendations and how easy are they to fit?

They tend to cause more damaged then a spill can either the frame is damage or they get pushed into the crank case/s, personally I would go for Renntec crash bars.   
Later

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2012, 10:03:59 am »
I had a lowside on a roundabout the crash bung took pretty much all the damage. Course there's horror stories about them catching kerbs and flipping the bike causing more damage. Basically if you have a crash there's gonna be damage, because of my experience i'll use crash bungs i think it'll cost me less.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2012, 11:44:12 am »
I've got crash bungs fitted but I've never used them   :lol

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2012, 06:33:23 pm »
They have limited the damage a couple of times for me. Once when somebody reversed into it whilst parked and once when it slid down the road at reasonably high speed. The crank cases were scratched, so was the rear panels and  the handle bars were bent but I think the bungs helped the bike slide and stopped anything digging into the road. They didn't bend or deform, just scratched and gouged up. I think it's worth it, I imagine engine bars are more protective, but how much better in a high speed spill is negligible because damage is inevitable in that scenario. They are heavier and you may not like them for their aesthetics either, either is better than nothing! My bungs were DHM, I think.

Kingy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2012, 08:02:46 pm »
H sure about mmm not about crash bars Gnasher think they spoil the look of the bike a bit thanks for advice everyone I think crash bungs are the way to go, seen on another post Yamaha do some for the newer Fazers might see if they do some for mine.

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2013, 12:13:23 am »
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would use the search facility and bring this one back from the dead!
I was after a set of those DHM (Double Hard Mushrooms) are they any good does anyone use them?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2013, 09:38:27 am »
I have just the smaller lower bars which you hardly notice, I think the issue with the bungs on fzs600 is where they fit to protect just provides a pressure point on the frame whereas the bars spread the load, and on our bikes the bungs have to be so large inorder to stickout further than the bits protected that they too look ugly. other bikes can get away with mushrooms or shorter bungs.

« Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 09:44:44 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2013, 10:19:48 am »
Bungs are better than nothing but bars are better than bungs as they distribute any load force over multiple points rather than just one bolt, bungs are only any good for slower crashes as the single bolt will tend to bend on impact, this is from several experiences!
Some say...

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2013, 12:12:26 pm »
Ive fitted R&G bar ends, frame crash bungs, front axle bungs, Rear axle bung, casing sliders and swingarm bobbins.
Probably get some crash bars in the future as all this protection pays for itself the first time you have a spill of any kind.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
If you take a look at my another one bites the dust thread youll see that my bung got bent & the casing then took a scrape,

The bike fell off its stand before & the bike was untouched so yep id no agree bars for sliding,bungs for falling.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2013, 10:12:33 pm »
speaking as a tall foccer I prefer the bungs to the crash bars I had previously simply cos I can stretch my legs out on them! :)

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2013, 11:10:56 pm »
I have just the smaller lower bars which you hardly notice, I think the issue with the bungs on fzs600 is where they fit to protect just provides a pressure point on the frame whereas the bars spread the load, and on our bikes the bungs have to be so large inorder to stickout further than the bits protected that they too look ugly. other bikes can get away with mushrooms or shorter bungs.

Like those bars Fazersharp. Who are they by/ where did you get them?

ta.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2013, 11:47:31 pm »
Fazersharp bars are the best.

I managed to drag nylon bungs twice when leaning a lot, without hero blobs. The worst thing is that I didn't feel it, I noticed it later looking at them. Focing dangerous.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2013, 12:44:29 am »
Remember... Crash bungs r for droppin the bike @ 0 mph. If u have a drop at speed they just put extra stress .....ergo damage to whatever they r fixed to.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2013, 09:22:11 am »
I managed to drag nylon bungs twice when leaning a lot,
Yep I had that a couple of times -with the bars but was mostly due to a steep camber in the road.
I got mine from a private ebay seller (not a shop) here is the fitting instructions with product code.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2013, 02:51:12 pm »
I managed to drag nylon bungs twice when leaning a lot,
Yep I had that a couple of times -with the bars but was mostly due to a steep camber in the road.
I got mine from a private ebay seller (not a shop) here is the fitting instructions with product code.

It seemed like they wouldn't drag, not a solution then. Scary. They still look the best by far though.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2013, 03:37:06 pm »
They dont - not rearly as I said ive done it twice and it was big lean that anyother time would not matter as it was mainly down to the road camber if you look at my picture you can see the marks. If your tyres have chicken strips then dont worry as the bars will never touch down  ;)

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2013, 08:15:45 pm »
They dont - not rearly as I said ive done it twice and it was big lean that anyother time would not matter as it was mainly down to the road camber if you look at my picture you can see the marks. If your tyres have chicken strips then dont worry as the bars will never touch down  ;)

Chicken strips? They are not for me, I am THAT fast :lol

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2013, 09:54:23 am »

After all my searching I only found ugly overpriced bars.

5 minutes with that part number and I've ordered the same bars from a little Shop in Germany! 

Just waiting to see if they actually arrive.   :\

Cheers.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2013, 05:00:30 pm »
Hey cool ------------ im glad I was able to help
The angle of that photo makes them look quite obvious but in real life I think they look almost like part of the frame

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2013, 09:53:26 am »
A lot really depends on the crash bung/bobbin. Some are a lot more rigid than others and will transfer the stress to the frame, whilst others are more malleable and tend to bend or fail where exposed to too much stress. Some bobbins bolt in a one point, other at two points with a small T shape member.

I had the original Yamaha ones fitted, going through the belly pan, but after an low speed (~20mph) drop and short slide, this is what happens:

These have a T shape member, which tends to just give on a slide. Good in that it doesn't put too much stress on the frame, but bad in that the bobbin then bends flat against the crank cases and breaks the belly pan it's protruding through. They do bend back fairly easily with mallet, but one of mine is about the snap off completely. Seriously considering ditching the belly pan and going down crash bars route.

tatastha-sakti

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2013, 10:03:30 am »
I've heard many stories how protection sliders caused more harm to the bike. Especially, when it slides down not very good surface. Most riders in Russia use such kin of protection:

I personally have these and  they are great. I know that previous owner fell twice on 50-60km/h on the corner (there was sand :] ) and once fell my girlfriend. Bike is OK, these Crazy Irons are also fine. :) But if you have a belly pan, then I'm not sure if you can install them.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 October 2013, 10:05:09 am »
Shit mate !!! Bad news

They do bend back fairly easily with mallet
But your belly dont.
This Im sorry to say is a prime example of a bung causing more damage than its sposed to prevent. If they were not fitted then yes you would of had a nasty graze down the bellypan, but thats it.
Our bikes just arnt suited to crash bungs - mushrooms. The bung makers have come up with a great product for some bikes and then thought "how can we max our profit" and then come up with a stupid workaround to sell to all other bikes. Just because they make em for a bike--- dont mean they are suited to a bike.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2013, 10:10:57 am »
Tatastha
Would be daft if it did ---- but does that bar tha passes round the back of the engine, cover the oil filler cap