Date: 30-04-24  Time: 09:47 am

Author Topic: Fuel pump query  (Read 6859 times)

Wobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fuel pump query
« on: 19 December 2011, 12:07:33 pm »
I'd like to replace the fuel pump on my gen 1 (carbed) Fazer 1000 with something smaller and nicer-looking (like the one on the FZS600) because it's going to be relocated and will probably be on show. The OE item has a built-in pressure sensor and cuts out when the float bowls are full and I was wondering whether it was the same type of set-up on the FZS600? Also, the ones on eBay have one of two finishes, either partly-plated or all black (which I prefer). Please could somebody 'in the know' tell me whether the Fazer 600 pump has a pressure sensor, and which model/year has the all-black finish?

Many thanks in advance and Happy Christmas!  :)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump query
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2011, 05:32:03 pm »
Yes the pump on the FZS600 stops pumping when the float bowls are full. It is controlled by a set of points that are opened and closed by the movement of a spring loaded diaphragm that is doing the pumping. When the fuel pressure is sufficient it overcomes the spring pressure and the points don't close, which in turn stops the diagram being pulled back. The clicking of the pump then stops until some fuel is used.
 An important point is the polarity of the two wires. If you get it the wrong way round you will instantly blow a diode in the pump. The blue and black wire is the positive feed from the relay and the black wire is the negative earth wire. May be the same on the 1000 but I don't know.
No idea why there are different finishes or if the fuel flow from the smaller 600 pump is sufficient for a 1000 Fazer at full chat.

Merry Christmas.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2011, 05:57:30 pm »
No idea why there are different finishes or if the fuel flow from the smaller 600 pump is sufficient for a 1000 Fazer at full chat.

a few years a go i fitted a fuel pump from a yamaha xv535 onto my fj1200 and i had no issues so i dont see any issues using a pump from a smaller engined bike

Wobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2011, 08:26:37 pm »
Thanks gents, that's very useful information. The 1000 pump has the same colour wires so hopefully a pump off a 600 won't get fried. I've been riding around without the pump recently and the bike runs fine until the fuel level is very low, though its range is slightly reduced, so I'm hopeful that solorider is right that the smaller pump will be OK.

Final daft question:- is there a torque reaction when the pump is working?, ie does it need to be secured on both sides, or could it dangle from a single mount without leaping about?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2011, 05:04:05 am »

Final daft question:- is there a torque reaction when the pump is working?, ie does it need to be secured on both sides, or could it dangle from a single mount without leaping about?
i would say yes and an insecure fuel pump is an mot faliure

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2011, 08:48:23 pm »
Strictly speaking it is an oscillating reaction as the internals rattle backwards and forwards. On the 600 it is supported in a tight fitting rubber mount that clips onto a bracket and held with a single bolt. The fuel pipes also provide some support I guess. I would suggest that you incorporate some degree of rubber mounting for the pump rather than a solid mounting. You could maybe use the rubber mount from a 600, but it may not be the neatest setup in your case.
I agree with solorider in that I would be very surprised if you had any problem with fuel delivery rate with the 600 pump.

ratfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2011, 01:19:35 am »
Try a pump from an FJ1200, they are black, look identical to the fazer 600 and you'll still retain fuel flow if your hooning it down the motorway.

Wobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2011, 09:58:35 am »
Your advice was just too late ratfazer! A secondhand FZS600 pump arrived on Christmas Eve and I finished the installation at 2am this morning. It's a really neat fit in the space under the tank vacated by the air induction system valve, which I junked ages ago. I haven't had a chance to try it out on the road yet, but it primed the lines very quickly so I can't imagine I'll have a problem. Lovely!  :D