Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:02 pm

Author Topic: Powder coating the engine mount?  (Read 892 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Powder coating the engine mount?
« on: 06 December 2023, 05:54:11 pm »
  Has anyone ever had their Gen 1 front lower engine mount/brace (the part that gets pelted with stones and crap in the middle, then goes rusty ☹️) shot blasted and powder coated? Obviously washers and bolts would be used to blank off where the bushings and rubbers are.  Bearing in mind the rubber inserts may be affected by the curing heat for the powder? Has anyone done this successfully?
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: Powder coating the engine mount?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2023, 07:09:46 pm »
Hi Dave.
From experience, I think it's a waste of money having owt powder coated that's likely to see a hard life from stone chipping, powder coat's too hard n brittle, chips easier than paint, I avoid freshly resurfaced roads especially the wet tar/gravel bodge jobs.

Black rattle can Hammerite is what I've used, take a while to cure tho, hot air gun any metal first & very light coats, never re-coat unless it's touch dry, leave a good 6-8hrs between coats, too cold for paint to cure at this time of year unless you have a cupboard with a heater.
Hammerite looks better than powder coat imho & far cheaper, no need to press rubber damper bushes out like you'd probly need to do with powder coating.
If you're concerned about stone chip damage, you could wrap mounting crossbar with piece of pushbike inner tube & secure with cable ties, it'll never get chipped then or even some black exhaust wrap.

I've an OEM belly pan on my thou & a carbon fibre fender extender & a stainless rad guard, all 3 are a great combo that helps stop stone chips.
If I ever come across a freshly gravelled road, I hit the anchors & do a 180.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 10:33:46 pm by Gaz66 »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2023, 06:01:41 pm »
I hate new resurfaced roads, the amount of times its has caused damage. And whats worse is there has always been fuck all warning signage.

Hammerite is also greate because you can simpley retouch any chips.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2023, 07:05:33 pm »
  Many thanks. Is original Hammerite a better product than the smoothrite version of their paint?
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2023, 10:31:12 pm »
Don't use brush on smooth Hammerite, it's horrendous stuff to use, ok for wrought iron gates, even then it a proper mare to paint, just too sticky & dries too quick, suppose you could thin it & spray it.?
Smooth Hammerite in rattle cans is what I use. :thumbup

« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 10:39:29 pm by Gaz66 »

Tonesuff

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2023, 12:36:56 pm »
Hi all,
Talking of this part on here mine has rusted through,
Want to get it off the engine and 1 of the bolts is solid.
Got the nut off the bolt won’t budge though.
Just wondering if the engine casing lug itself is threaded before I batter the life out of said bolt??

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2023, 08:29:26 pm »
Slightly off topic but this is what I made for my FZS600 to protect the frame, exhaust, oil filter, and engine etc. from the stuff that gets thrown at it from the front wheel. It started off polished aluminium but even on all non freshly chipped roads it soon looked like it had been shot blasted up the middle. Might not be to everyone's taste but it does a good job for me.   :)