Date: 18-05-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: Down pipes and exhaust modification?  (Read 2893 times)

ggvalchev

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Down pipes and exhaust modification?
« on: 22 June 2015, 07:38:39 pm »
Okay, I'm new...right good we got that out of the way.

Now I've been keeping an eye on this forum and it's been a massive help with several topics...like the dual head light mod for instance.

Now I'm really curious as to know what would happen if say for instance you decided to modify your exhaust.
I'm a newbie right so I'm asking questions that may not be very smart so give me some leeway.

So say for instance you want to modify your down pipes as such....

Cylinders 1 and 4 go into 1 pipe and cylinders 3 and 2 go into 1 pipe with a connection between, to keep power and torque delivery at an acceptable level.
So the system is technically 4 into 2 into 2 but they way the pipes are arranged is different to what people usually do.
Usual system is 1 and 2, into 1 pipe, and 3 and 4, into 1 pipe, and all that into 1 pipe. Or 4 into 2 into 1. which is the fzs600 exhaust system.
And so I'm really curious to know what it's going to sound like...

I'm looking to achieve a deeper rumbling sound out of an inline 4, which I know people say you can never change and it's always going to sound a like a bee.
But if you check the R1 with the Two brothers exhausts it wounds really nice, and not only that...this guy I don't know what kind of pipes he is using but it sounds amazing at low revs.
! No longer available

It's strange it's the same firing order as the fzs600 1-2-4-3 but it's such a massive difference.

Any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: 22 June 2015, 07:40:56 pm by ggvalchev »

riedrider

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - TDM850, BT1100, NTV650, R100R
    • View Profile
Re: Down pipes and exhaust modification?
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2015, 07:51:46 pm »
Maybe this R1 has a crossplane crankshaft:
! No longer available

and then this is not true:
It's strange it's the same firing order as the fzs600 1-2-4-3 but it's such a massive difference.

The firing order of that engine is 1-3-4-2
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/supersport/index.aspx?view=article&id=442652
It is the same with the V8-engines. Those with crossplane crankshaft like from the US cars sound great and e.g. the V8 Ferraris with flat plane crankshaft sound very poor....
« Last Edit: 22 June 2015, 08:03:09 pm by riedrider »
Guenter

ggvalchev

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2015, 04:05:42 pm »
That you're correct about, the bike does have the crossplane crank and it is that, that changes the sound so significantly. Hence why the firing order is different..
So okay then what if you made the exhaust on the FZS a 4 into 2 into 2, but swapping the head pipes around as described in the previous post ? How would shortening or lengthening the pipe effect the sound and performance?
Any clue as to what it's going to sound line ?
I've tried searching for something like that but couldn't come up with anything in the searches...

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2015, 04:38:51 pm »
Pipes 1 and 3 connected on one side of 4 - 2 - 2 and pipes 2 and 4 on the other might give the sound you want but it might make very little difference.

Typically longer header pipes will be better for lower revs and shorter better for higher revs.  This is what some of the exhaust sysyem valves effectively do to improve performance across the rev range.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2015, 04:50:50 pm »
changing the way that the downpipes connect will alter the back pressure in the exhaust and affect performance. Whether it gets better or worse will depend on lots of things.
If its just noise your after, just play with the end can. A Venom race can on an FZS600 gives a very deep burble at idle and a good loud growl when the throttle is opened up.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

riedrider

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - TDM850, BT1100, NTV650, R100R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2015, 06:46:02 pm »
From my 4 bikes my Fazer has the worst sound by far. Even my Honda lawn mower sounds better  :rollin
But I will not change anything on the original system because I am convinced that every modification will spoil the torque curve which I think is excellent.
For a nice sound I have 3 twins with aftermarket exhausts  :)
Guenter