Date: 08-05-24  Time: 21:21 pm

Author Topic: Flaky Ignition Switch  (Read 2069 times)

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Flaky Ignition Switch
« on: 13 June 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
The ignition switch on my 04 thou has come over all flaky, you have to faff around with the key to get it 'just so' so the bike will start. It's usually OK after that but can take a bit of doing to  get it going in the first place. I'm pretty good with electrics and stuff so don't mind having a go at taking it apart to try and sort it. Anyone know if this is a viable option. Doubt very much if I can afford a new one!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Flaky Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2012, 09:39:06 pm »
it is a common fazer fault,there have been a few posts on here about the problem

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2012, 09:39:55 pm »
I assume it does the same with both keys? Meaning its not the key that's bent/twisted? Have you tried cleaning the 'switch'? Switch cleaner or WD40 for instance?

S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2012, 09:42:39 pm »

I had the same trouble,   grit in the keyhole I put some wd in and wiggled the key abit, then put a bit of 3 in one and that did the trick :)
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2012, 10:52:31 pm »
recently had this, took me a while to track it down to the ignition and it was simpler to just get a new lock set.
as i needed mine in a rush i got it from a breakers at £80 for the lock set but the following week was one on ebay for £40 lol
the bolts that hold it to the head need to be drilled and replaced (unless i missed a trick to get them out) but it was fairly simple to do.
feel free to try wd40 or your fluid of choice. but mine didnt respond to that (have used it when had crap in there and it worked well but this was just a worn out contact as it worked fine everywhere but to start it lol)

be warned though. make sure you get the lock set for the right year as there are TWO diff types and the conectors are not the same. roughly its around 03 they changed but you can tell from if your bike has a light switch or not.

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
Thanks guys, it's been playing up for a while but got worse today. It's had copious quantities of WD40 but no joy. It's definitely contact related, motor spins over like a good un but the ignition circuit doesn't energise. I'll try and get by till the weekend then see if I can get it out and have a play with it.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2012, 05:20:59 am »
yup that sounds identical to mine, as it gets worse you might even get it cut out as you ride. the key moves from vibes or a bump and the motor will just die. it was this that finally got me pinpointed to the problem. but i am a bit thick where electrics are concerned lol.

Might be of help, but might not. my local spanner did mention that the unit was not serviceable other than being able to clean the contacts. but from the little he could see the contact surface was worn from use. he did try to explain it better but by then i had made my mind up to just replace it. from what little i can remember you could be the wire connections under the ignition but couldn't get to the actual surfaces. but i do stand to be corrected on that.
will deff watch with interest if you do find a fix in case i get it again from my 2ndhand lockset.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2012, 06:41:28 am »
sounds as if a new lock set is the best option here....could spends hours on the original amd still not improve it......my 600 is showing early signs of wear but ok at mo  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2012, 04:04:29 pm »
Yep, I had a similar problem, esp if steering lock was on, have a look on the FZ6 page.