Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:22 pm

Author Topic: Motorcycle News Was Right!  (Read 4192 times)

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Motorcycle News Was Right!
« on: 08 March 2013, 01:43:40 pm »
The other day Motorcycle News made the FZS600 their bike of the day, and the only bad thing they said about it was that the original downpipes rot away......just a couple of days before that, I'd noticed that mine were full of holes as shown below  :( 

I also managed to shear off 3 of the studs while taking the downpipes off, has anyone got any advise about removing them? There is some stud sticking out of the engine still, im thinking of welding a nut to the top of them.

Fazers at the Ready.........hahahaaaa........

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle News Was Right!
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
Piltdown exhaust!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Looks like you dragged that bike off the bottom of the sea! DeadEye had a thread about getting exhaust studs out about a week ago. http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5990.0.html Whatever method you use it's a right pain of a job to do. Exhaust studs and front sprocket are the achilles heel of the fazer

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2013, 01:56:34 pm »
I also managed to shear off 3 of the studs while taking the downpipes off, has anyone got any advise about removing them? There is some stud sticking out of the engine still, im thinking of welding a nut to the top of them.

I had this problem myself and managed to remove most of the troublesome buggers using a hammer, impact driver and stud extractor. There are several types of stud extractor and I found this to be the best option as I could really tighten it on to the stud :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4393-Impact-Stud-Extractor/dp/B001DYRDU2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1362750902&sr=8-12

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_530655_langId_-1_categoryId_165572
« Last Edit: 08 March 2013, 01:57:44 pm by Dead Eye »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2013, 01:59:20 pm »
Crikey, i think the Titanic has better exhaust chimneys than them, even now  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2013, 02:05:37 pm »
I know i know, terrible state  :'(  I don't know how they got so bad, she's only on 20k and always been garaged etc, I guess this years salty roads were too much for her  :(

Thanks Dead Eye, I'll try a stud extractor first  :)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2013, 02:45:05 pm »
Did you find any buried treasure on her ? There is a thread in the FZS1000 section about "What do you call your bike". You should call yours  'Mary Rose'.  :eek

I can't say i am suprised that you are having exhaust stud issues. When you fit your new downpipes may i suggest ACF50 becomes your friend.

I'm not having a go by the way. I just think that corrosion like this is preventable with the right cleaning methods/substances  ;)

Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2013, 07:17:33 pm »
I know i know, terrible state  :'(  I don't know how they got so bad, she's only on 20k and always been garaged etc, I guess this years salty roads were too much for her  :(

Thanks Dead Eye, I'll try a stud extractor first  :)
Don't worry mines only got 18,000 on it and they went a couple of months ago. Temp change between cold and garage etc won't help. Salt is shit even when its dry its still there attracting water grrrr
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Update...
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2013, 04:13:56 pm »
Update...

While getting my Titanic exhausts off I managed to shear off 3 of the exhaust studs, I spent the day today trying to remove them with vice grips and by welding a nut to the stud and trying to get them out that way, which failed.

I then went onto the stud extractor which eventually snapped off inside my cylinder head :'(

I don't know what to do now, I think I just need to buy another head as I think I'll have much much trying to drill out the stud extractor as they're so hard.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next move might be? Or does anyone have a reasonable low milage head for sale?

Thanks
Will

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2013, 04:22:42 pm »
This happened to me, I had two studs snapped flush with the head. I removed the engine from the frame and took it to a local machine shop who charged me £40 to drill them out, re-tap the head and fit heli-coils in :) A lot cheaper than a head in my opinion if you are prepared to do the heavy lifting yourself. Its definitely fixable though :)

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2013, 05:57:28 pm »
Thanks Dead Eye, I was thinking it would come to either changing the head or getting the current one looked at, only thing is I won't have a lot of time to work on it in the next week or so  :\ 

Do you think it's possible to remove the head without lifting the whole engine out?

Cheers  :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2013, 06:42:14 pm »
I believe you can, but its very fiddly from what I've heard / remember

I would be more inclined to remove the engine than disturb the head - could cause more issues if it needs to be skimmed at which point you are back to taking it to a machine shop. Removing the engine isn't too bad thankfully - just takes a reasonable amount of time and patience. The Haynes covers it fairly well thankfully :)

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2013, 11:43:32 am »
I was stupid.....I bought the 6-13mm impact stud extractor only, and now the thread has stripped off the studs meaning the extractor won't grip  :'(  and I cant find anywhere to buy the smaller one on its own!

:'( :'(

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2013, 09:17:05 pm »
I would take the head off and take it to the nearest reputable machine shop.
They will have all the necessary equipment to sort it out.
No other easy way now unfortunately

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2013, 12:49:25 am »
I was stupid.....I bought the 6-13mm impact stud extractor only, and now the thread has stripped off the studs meaning the extractor won't grip  :'(  and I cant find anywhere to buy the smaller one on its own!

:'( :'(

I noticed that and bought the dual set just in case

There is still hope due to the way they work, even if the thread is stripped you should be able to get the 2-8mm extractor on pretty damn tight to try and remove it. It's a pity you are further away, could have leant you mine :(

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2013, 01:35:10 pm »
Thanks anyway Dead Eye, I just wish I bought the set with two aswell  :rolleyes

I'm currently taking the engine out to drill out the studs and tap the holes, and if I can't drill out the one with the broken stud extractor inside then that particular pipe will have to be attached with one nut! not the ideal solution, but it should work!

Will