Date: 24-05-24  Time: 09:15 am

Author Topic: Is my bike getting good MPG  (Read 11809 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Is my bike getting good MPG
« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2013, 01:46:52 am »
Whilst your on a restricted licence I'd leave the k&N out. If you get stopped or heaven forbid are in an accident and they find out about the air filter being a performance upgrade, your in a world of pain from both the law and the insurance company.

Basically your airfilter could in theory take you over the 33bhp limit, which invalidates your insurance, which means at the roadside your bike gets siezed, you also get 6 points/£200 fine, and taken to court for driving other than in accordance with a licence where another 3 points minimum and another fine. That's your licence gone. Then you have to get someone to insure your bike, pay the £150 recovery cost, and the £15-£20 per day storage costs.

Don't put performance upgrades on a resticted bike, it just ain't worth it!!. Standard filters are just as good for now.
Can't see that happening, the restrictions block off the carb inlets, so blocking the amount of air/fuel mixture that goes into the carbs, changing the filters barely going to change that - just might make it run a fraction leaner in the revs that the restriction allows. BIke could theoretically be siezed at the side of the road, but only reason that's going to happen is if the police a.) know that you should be on a restricted license, and the vast majority don't know about that, and b.) have reason to suspect your bike isn't restricted, which is only going to be the case if you blow past them at somethig like 120mph +
FWIW, I've had K&N's in all my bikes as they usually give a little more power when the jettings altered to suit. Only one I took it back out of was my ZX9R, as it played up with the ram air on it.
I also had a restricted bike which the restrictors fell out of after about 6 months, had a non-fault accident and they didn't even check. Had a bunch of mates do the exact same thing, and nothings ever happened to them either!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 January 2013, 08:07:21 am »
Its theoretical, or worse case scenario what can happen. The cops DO know when your on a restricted licence, it comes up on the DVLA database immediately when they check your licence.

As for power increase, well if you advertise that your bike is 'tuned' such as end can, k&N stickers etc, then they don't need to prove iimmediately that it increases power, but they can sieze your bike anyway as I previously explained.

A beat bobby might not have a clue, but a traffic cop can do this.

As for fitting a filter not improving the power, well the restrictor kit is designed with a standard filter fitted, and then you put a less restricted filter in, it 'could' slightly increase the power. As I said, its just a theory.

And the cops don't always physically inspect a machine after a prang, they mostly do it at a serious or fatal, or where there are other offences to be proved. (such as power upgrades) :rolleyes
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 January 2013, 12:50:07 pm »
Restriction shouldn't cause any problem with mpg - mine's restricted to 33 bhp and I am getting approximately 64 mpg; mostly motorway riding though.

mophead

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 January 2013, 07:24:45 pm »
Don't underestimate the range just because the lights come on, there's still 40 miles in there.

willmckeand

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 February 2013, 02:55:38 pm »
I've logged almost every fill-up I've done on my restricted '98 Fazer,  my average MPG is 57, so not too bad at all.

However, I do want to take my plugs out and have a look because I suspect she's running rich, on average I fill up about 11L and get around 136 miles out of it......is that good?

Will

« Last Edit: 16 February 2013, 02:56:16 pm by willmckeand »
Fazers at the Ready.........hahahaaaa........

sharpypaul

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 February 2013, 05:24:46 pm »
I've got a T reg 600 Fazer and it's not restricted and I only get 130-140 miles to a tank mostly commuting. I get more MPG using decent petrol, on Esso now from Asda own, it's surprising what a difference it makes!

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16 February 2013, 05:26:58 pm »
I'm getting about 40 to 45 but all my riding is commuting in London. A long ride out of London in dual carriageway gets 55mpg :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 February 2013, 06:00:54 pm »
I average 50-52 out of my 600 on a mix of road through my commute. Got 61mpg out of my old fazer 600 riding like a nun, but that's boring!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 23 February 2013, 10:11:05 am »
I get more MPG using decent petrol, on Esso now from Asda own, it's surprising what a difference it makes!

This is something I've never considered. Is there somewhere you can find out the qualities of the different providers or is all down to location?

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 23 February 2013, 10:12:36 am »
All petrol is from the same refineries and the individual companies (shell, esso,etc) add their own cocktail of additives and detergents.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 23 February 2013, 10:36:23 am »
And also use unleaded, not super unleaded unless your bike has anti knock sensors

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 23 February 2013, 11:55:28 am »
I used to get 180 miles between fillups (fuel light to fuel light) restricted 33bhp,  (K&N, irridium plugs,Micron pipe) now unrestricted i am getting 194 miles to fill up its a 2002 foxeye 600. :)
Mark

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 23 February 2013, 12:40:23 pm »
And also use unleaded, not super unleaded unless your bike has anti knock sensors

What?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 23 February 2013, 07:43:54 pm »
This may help :)

Fifth Gear Fuel test

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 23 February 2013, 08:23:10 pm »
Stupid question but could you be putting the rear brake on while you ride or could the brakes be binding ?

I know nothing about bikes, just guessing.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is my bike getting good MPG
« Reply #65 on: 23 February 2013, 10:14:00 pm »
Stupid question but could you be putting the rear brake on while you ride or could the brakes be binding ?

You've got a very valid point there. It males a pretty big difference if your carbs are out of balance, and your brakes are binding, and your chains too tight and not lubed, tyres underinflated. They all make a difference to your fuel consumption.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2