Date: 30-04-24  Time: 19:13 pm

Author Topic: Buying an FZS600  (Read 3149 times)

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Buying an FZS600
« on: 06 June 2013, 11:30:25 am »
Hi all, found a low mileage 1999 fzs600 that I'm buying for after my test in a week. I've got a few questions about what to look for so far as common problems.

I know that there is an issue with the front sprockets nut, I've informed the dealer about this and am hoping he keeps his word and checks it over, I'll check it myself when I get a chance anyway, if it is wrong, has anyone had any luck with Yamaha service centres in or around Manchester UK?

Are there any more common problems with the bike that I should look out for before using it regularly?

And other than the headlight mod (it's the eighties disco version before the foxeye) are there any other cheap mods that should be done to get the best out of it?

Thanks guys

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Buying an FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 11:47:14 am »
If it has the original steel exhaust on it then check it for rust or any signs of welding to show that its been repaired before. The stock pipes are the best for the bike, but they just don't last and are getting a little rare now. Most people swap them out for stainless steel :)

Replacing the air filter with a K&N is a good way to go and replacing the rear brake caliper with the uprated thou caliper is a good mod but they are practically impossible to get hold of :(

Other than that, standard checks all round for signs of scratches, scuffs etc to see if its been down on its side. Depending on what year it is, it may have preload adjusters on the top of the forks (98/99 don't have these, 2000 on do :) - if this doesn't match up then yours may have been replaced)

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 12:02:47 pm »
Aye it's 12k miles and the pipes look really really clean, this bike was someones baby - so I reckon it'll live on the stock ones for a long while yet (with liberal help from ACF-50).

Ah I'll have a look at grabbing that air filter and keep my eyes on ebay if the rear brake caliper is a little shit, fingers crossed a breaker will put one up some time soon, but I guess it's not exactly a desperate job.

And aye no preload adjusters as it's the 1999 version, really is the cleanest I've seen for the year:

http://bikes.portfolio-europe.net/ezweblite/public/styles/std_website_3/view_thumb.asp?BRA_ID=4156&FRC_ID=0&PIC_ID=18007160&WIDTH=1280&HEIGHT=960

Deposits already down :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 01:28:53 pm »
The rear caliper will be absolutely fine as long as you give it a bit of TLC 2 or 3 times a year, as well as the front calipers too.
It's only when they get totally neglected through different weathers that you will start getting issues. 
And i personally avoid using softer organic pads that create more dust as it's baked on dust that tends to cause problems with sticking pistons.
I've been using the SBS ceramics on the rear of mine and they've been great.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2013, 01:56:56 pm »
Noted on the pad selection, I'll give it a whirl when they're due for a change. And by TLC are we talking complete disassembly and clean? I've only had mine apart on the CBF once, wasn't too hard I suppose and I'm guessing brake calipers are brake calipers so it'll be similar.

So far as upkeep - I'm an all year commuting biker, other than ACF50 all over it, anything else I should do to winterise it that's specific to the bike? Oh and what's thoughts on bellypans? Worth it with the downpipes being so prone to rust?
« Last Edit: 06 June 2013, 01:57:56 pm by Derpdiherp »

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2013, 02:46:31 pm »
Oh aye - one more question and I'm done I promise  :b .

With the headlight modification with both bulbs on - will that pass MOT? I'm really not sure.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2013, 02:50:27 pm »
If they're in good working condition then just push the pistons out a bit (not too much) and give them a good scrub with a toothbrush and brake cleaner, then reapply some red rubber grease on the exposed part of the pots.
Keep doing that 2 or 3 times a year and they should behave themselves okay.
Give the pads pins a good clean too, and put a thin smear of copper grease on them before putting them back in, just so the pads can slide sideways properly. If they can't slide and release properly then other problems will occur!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2013, 02:51:13 pm »
Oh aye - one more question and I'm done I promise  :b .

With the headlight modification with both bulbs on - will that pass MOT? I'm really not sure.
Mine does no with problems.

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2013, 02:56:37 pm »
Great thanks for all the help. Fingers crossed I'll be riding it next weekend  :D

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2013, 03:24:14 pm »
Nice looking bike there.
As you're buying it from a dealer don't ask him, tell him to change the front sprocket nut to the thicker one before picking it up, they're only a couple of quid so no loss to him and piece of mind to you!
Some say...

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
Wow! That looks almost new!  :eek

I really have nothing to add to what's already been said. If you do change the air filter, might as well change the fuel filter while you're at it. Seeing as it has such a low mileage, it might have been sitting for long times, so contamination from the fuel tank and rubber fuel-lines might be possible. And the fuel filter isn't an expensive spare anyway.

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
Aye punkstig I gave him a call about the nut today to catch up. It's getting done and he knows a Yamaha dealer, so it's all good. I'll check it myself anyway though - I prefer to have complete confidence in a bike.

That's a good point Foxwood, I'll look into doing it as yeah it apparently has sat unused for some time during it's life. I'll check the last MOTs and services first though, hopefully it might not be needed.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2013, 04:29:18 pm »
lots of advice there,looks like everything is covered,one thing to ask the dealer for is if its got any service history,bills reciepts etc......looks like a nice tidy honest bike....you cant beat a fazer  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2013, 05:00:11 pm »
Without meaning to sound like i'm putting a downer on things, 'cos i'm not, but a good valet can make a bike look like brand new if they're good enough at their job!  :smokin

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2013, 05:21:40 pm »
Hi Derp

Bike looks fantasicly clean, keep an eye on the down pipes where it goes into one as this takes all the crap from the road (salt n stone chips) I use Scotoiler on chain and their SF 365 on down pipes and underbelly.

Good luck with the test and keep an eye open for Fizzy Pie as he is on that side of the Pennines

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2013, 07:00:41 pm »
One more common problem with the old fazer, all owners become a bit mental, or just more so if already a bit odd!
Some say...

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2013, 07:24:11 pm »
lots of advice there,looks like everything is covered,one thing to ask the dealer for is if its got any service history,bills reciepts etc......looks like a nice tidy honest bike....you cant beat a fazer  ;)

Yup, all service history is there - good on that one :).

Good luck with the test and keep an eye open for Fizzy Pie as he is on that side of the Pennines

Cheers mate! :D Good to hear there's foccers my way as well, got a mate I go riding with but one more's always welcome if he's about, can't beat snake pass!

One more common problem with the old fazer, all owners become a bit mental, or just more so if already a bit odd!

Ha - so the front sprocket nut isn't the only nut job.. :P

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2013, 07:24:19 pm »

:lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2013, 08:35:28 pm »
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying?

Derpdiherp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2013, 09:18:52 pm »
About £1900 or something close to that. A little pricey for the year but it seems looked after.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 June 2013, 11:02:26 pm »
Meh, so long as you get a half decent dealer warranty with that then the extra few quid could mean everything!

As your happy that's the ultimate value of the bike!
Some say...