Date: 05-05-24  Time: 11:25 am

Author Topic: Worn Front Sprocket....  (Read 2961 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Worn Front Sprocket....
« on: 06 June 2015, 12:32:27 pm »
My front sprocket is show here, there were comments on an older thread it is worn, and after a bit or research i think it is as well....

I intend to replace it and also the chain and rear sprocket as i know it should be done as a set....

Any comments and also any one used the +1 front sprockets - real noticable affects....????

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Worn Front Sprocket....
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2015, 12:39:34 pm »
Looking at yours anutz, I think i've something missing, the washer for starters :(
I'll need to investigate more into this I think :eek
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2015, 12:44:49 pm »
not sure - i can see the lock washer tabs bent over on yours so not sure what else it needs...

I have since changed mine ( 12mm nut now ) but was looking at the old thread and someone said the front sprocket was worn and it does appear to be so i may as well dort it all now as i am putting an R6 shock in as well so will do it all at once before the MOT
« Last Edit: 06 June 2015, 12:45:23 pm by anutz »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2015, 12:47:11 pm »
Oops.

They're both the old 9mm nut as well, you need to fit the new 12mm nut, and safety washer, whenever you can.

Neither look unsafe though for now.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
not sure - i can see the lock washer tabs bent over on yours so not sure what else it needs...

I have since changed mine ( 12mm nut now ) but was looking at the old thread and someone said the front sprocket was worn and it does appear to be so i may as well dort it all now as i am putting an R6 shock in as well so will do it all at once before the MOT

Blimey, you changed that quick.  :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2015, 12:52:54 pm »
Oops.

They're both the old 9mm nut as well, you need to fit the new 12mm nut, and safety washer, whenever you can.

Neither look unsafe though for now.

Your probably right darrsi, although I have read somewhere if it's not gone bad by now it should be ok, not to sure though, it does seem solid enough and my bikes done 24,000 now :)
There's pics here  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,17216.0.html by riedrider showing his old and new.

I was more looking that there is differences in the picture of mines and anutz, thought they should look the same, mines looks more recessed tbh
Colin
----------------------

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2015, 12:55:14 pm »

blink and you would have missed it  :rollin .....did it a few months back but the only sprocket pic was the old one - its worn yes?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2015, 12:57:03 pm »
Took my mechanic about 40 minutes to get my nut off, as it had fused itself onto the shaft.

That all just sounds so wrong.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2015, 12:59:03 pm »
Took my mechanic about 40 minutes to get my nut off, as it had fused itself onto the shaft.

:lol Yeah,  that's too much info :rollin
Colin
----------------------

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2015, 01:00:15 pm »

blink and you would have missed it  :rollin .....did it a few months back but the only sprocket pic was the old one - its worn yes?

I wouldn't have said it was in particularly bad shape to be honest.