Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:58 pm

Author Topic: Chain and Sproket  (Read 5780 times)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Chain and Sproket
« on: 27 October 2011, 02:04:19 pm »
Just had new tyres fitted to my bike...according to the fitter I need new chain and sproket because when he adjusted the chain there are tight spots...I've done 25000mls...he quoted me £130 supply and fit Gold "o" ring type chain...is it a reasonable price or should I try Yamaha and get the original ones. Pls help as I only know how to ride and nothing else!

chicken

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Chain and Sproket
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2011, 06:26:42 pm »
Sounds about right if you're around London.

You can buy the parts from somewhere like M&P for between £70 (O-ring) and £100 (x-ring 520) for your model so he's charging £60 for fitting (I'd expect a workshop to charge an hours labour for it, even though it's probably half that in reality).

You can do it yourself if you're vaguely mechanically competent but you'll need a chain tool (something like this http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=704506&tier1url=Chains-and-Sprockets&tier2url=Chain-and-Sprocket-Kits&tier3url=EK-RK-REGINA-CZ). Might take you a bit longer than an hour the first time you do it but it's pretty straightforward and it's nice to learn a new skill.

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
Thanks...I might give it a go...hate working on bikes but it's getting too dear using a garage all the time.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2011, 10:09:21 pm »
Piggybacking on this, since I'm going to need a new chain for my FZ6 in the not too distant future, how much *real* difference is there between O Ring, X Ring and X Ring Gold? (Apart from about £25 based on the figures from that link above)

The bike's done over 25,000 miles (19,000 of which are mine) and has the touring Scot Oiler (hence why it's still on its first chain) so is it actually worth my paying the extra?

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2011, 06:01:30 am »
I have a scottoiler fitted...the best thing I've had fitted to the bike. What type of chain is the original fit on the bike? As mine has lasted 25000 miles, I wouldn't mind having the same type refitted...might phone Yamaha and see how much they are..

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2011, 10:44:31 pm »
What type of chain is the original fit on the bike?

Paging the Foc-U font of all knowledge... :)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2011, 07:24:01 pm »
Thank you Grahamm...never knew there was such site...seems like I'll be getting the genuine gear for £160...I know it's a bit too much to pay but at least I know it could last up to 25000 miles..

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2011, 09:50:07 pm »
Erm, you're welcome, but that wasn't my post... :)

chicken

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2011, 10:01:31 am »
Piggybacking on this, since I'm going to need a new chain for my FZ6 in the not too distant future, how much *real* difference is there between O Ring, X Ring and X Ring Gold? (Apart from about £25 based on the figures from that link above)

The bike's done over 25,000 miles (19,000 of which are mine) and has the touring Scot Oiler (hence why it's still on its first chain) so is it actually worth my paying the extra?

X is superior to O in terms of sealing ability but the biggest difference you'll see is down to how you look after your chain (and how you ride). A regularly lubed (scotoiled?) O-ring that only gets ridden in the dry will last longer than an X-ring ridden in all weather.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2011, 10:18:20 am »
I think My friend just changed his chain after 40,000 miles thats with a scotoiler and it was a DID Xring.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2011, 09:35:48 pm »
X is superior to O in terms of sealing ability but the biggest difference you'll see is down to how you look after your chain (and how you ride). A regularly lubed (scotoiled?) O-ring that only gets ridden in the dry will last longer than an X-ring ridden in all weather.

Thanks for the info. Given that the bike's 5 years old and has done 26k on a standard O Ring with Scotoiler, I think spending the extra dosh probably isn't worth it.

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2011, 07:47:07 pm »
Just booked the bike for Friday...£130 for DID X ring gold chain and sprockets...fitted..

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 November 2011, 11:23:54 pm »
Nightmare getting the front sprocket off- ended up taking it in anyway- give the mechanics the jobs you cant do your self and keep them in buisiness for twhen you need them
59 going on 57

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2012, 08:35:24 pm »
Just as an aside, I had an emergency chain and sprocket replacement job in my garage one Saturday morning. Had a ZX6R at the time and one of the rollers had come away from the pin so there was a dirty great jump on the chain  :o

Got a lift down to the local bike shop, bought a DID chain with replacement sprockets and fitted it.

Had to file one of the linking pins down with a 2nd cut file, levered it off and fitted the new chain on mushrooming the joining pin with a hammer.  :)
Apparently it was ok beacuse I got another 20K plus miles out of it before I sold it.

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2012, 10:37:40 pm »
IMHO if a chain is going to last 25,000 miles then spending an extra £25 to get "the best" is money well spent. Of course you need to look after it (says he riding in all sorts of $hit  :o ) but keep it clean and lubed and it's a good investment. Piece of mind on a bike is always money well spent. Can be fun to change the gearing at the same time  :D .

Best bet is find a friendly local foccer who can help if you're not mechanically savvy (like me) - beer can be the new currency...

BTW fk me how cold were my hands on the bike this morning - still good to be on the bike rather than cage/train though!

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

BTW fk me how cold were my hands on the bike this morning - still good to be on the bike rather than cage/train though!

Been taking my car to work for the last 4 days....first time in 7yrs!