Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 10162 times)

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 01 December 2011, 02:01:38 pm »
 What's the best tyre set up? (yeah one on the front & one on the back, I know ha ha :lol ). I've just noticed, which is a bit remiss of me, that I've got a Bridgestone Battleax on the front & a Michelin something or other on the rear. I thought they should both be the same type, but then I know very little. :o

Silverdream

• Weekend Warrior
  • Live it - Ride it..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2011, 03:24:16 pm »

Most people like 'em matched... i have bridgestone 021's on at the mo, front and rear, (it can like it) but have run bikes with mismatched tyres with no issues

My ZX9r i ran with a really sticky Racetec on the front and an Michelin pilot on the rear only because the Racetec was free and i needed to change the front for the MOT but it ran fine wet or dry with the mismatched and i quite liked the sticky up front and the harder wearing rear..

Your preference really and it depends on your budget but get the best you can afford..

My tuppence for ya..

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2011, 09:26:37 pm »
On my last FZ I went through several sets of Maxxis Sports, did track days, mad races round France (3000 miles in a week), toured 2 up with the wife and found them to be excellent although because they're so soft they don't last very long, price you pay for grip, and they do really grip. Nice feel too, predictable, turn in nicely without that falling off the edge feel you get from some tyres.
Lots of people knock Maxxis but they've never tried them. Current FZ (just bought 2010 reg with 2400 miles on) has Bridgestones, suspect when they're worn out there'll be some more Maxxis going on.

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2011, 08:01:21 am »
 Ta for that. Seem to stick to the road ok. Didn't really want to have to change one or the other so glad it's not abnormal or a no no.

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2011, 07:36:55 am »
Bridgestone 020 mate or 023..allthough I got some avons going on nxt cos there 80 quid less
Loads of bikes owned...but my fazer 600 and thou were and are the best ive owned

Skoot34

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2011, 07:48:45 am »
I've got a pair of the new Michelin Road Pilot 3's. Blooming pricey but give so much confidence in the damp/wet.

Ran the Pilot 2's before, also very good and a little cheaper now.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
Bridgestone 020's at the moment but have 021's on the FZ1. I really like the Bridgestones but the Dunlop Roadsmarts that I had on my FZS600 over the last 2 winters were fantastic.
Any tyre recommendations you get are always based on personal opinion though as everyone has their own experience. Most modern tyres (to the normal rider anyway) will provide the same amount of grip, its just your personal perception of what is going on.
Would not however recommend mixing tyres  ;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 10:06:19 am »
This works fine for me and tyre ratings correlate with my experience so far.

https://www.mopedreifen.de/V2/englisch/splash2/fs2_splash2.html

I just search for 110/70 R17 tyres. Since FZS rear ones are standard, any 110 I find will have a matching 160 for the rear. FZ6 doesn't have that problem. They rate tyres for durability, dry and wet grip. From zero to 3 (so 4 grades).

I avoid tyres that have less than 2 marks for dry and wet grip, since pavement in my country is slippery (so tyres last long, but need to be gripy).

Tyres need not be the same type, nor the manufacturer. However, you need to be familiar and know limits of BOTH your tyres (whether they are the same make/model or not). To be more precise, tyres on the same axle should be of the same make/model, but since motorcycle has one tyre per axle (unlike a car), there is nothing to worry. The only thing to worry about is insurance - some insurance companies will look for anything in order not to pay so "mismatched" tyres could be their reason to bail, but this is a lawyer field, nothing to do with riding.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2012, 10:32:06 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 06:37:36 pm »
Again I would emphasise that tyre recommendation is pure opinion.
Slaninar is correct that tyres don't neccessarily need to be the same type but all tyre manufactorers (and some insurance companies) advise not to mix brands.
Why........the profile and compound differs between different brands. While on actual geometry is not an issue (like on a car where tyres should be the same type on an axle) footprint and behaviour is a factor. I know that when I fitted Avon tyres the steering slowed considerable on the bike whereas I find with Michelin's the turn in is faster.
Would I want a different brand front/rear....not for me but each to their own  ;)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 01:09:20 pm »
I remember a thread on here (old site) many moons ago with an article from Bridgestone or Michelin technical department about not bothering to mix a sticky front something with a long lasting rear something as the pairs that they made were already of mixed grippy fronts and long lasting rears and the profiles matched.

As far as I know there is no problem mixing although I do like Michelins (personal preference only) but the profile rating of the tyre should mean that they are all about the same diameter and trwad thickness before they wear. lst trip to the bike shop the mechanic had forgotten to order my Michelin in and fitted a Bridgestone- cant say I noticed any difference in handling

Anyone worked out the difference in your speedo accuracy between a fat new tyre with deep tread and the worn out just about to replace it tyre? is it appreciable?
59 going on 57

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2012, 02:34:29 pm »
I have mixed tyre (too tight to bin a tyre with tread lol)  and compunds back in the day but always aim to be on matched tyres
Its just a ride

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2012, 07:12:32 am »
Ive just bought a pair of Maxxis Touring tyres from ebay for 129.99, Ive done 800 miles on them so far in all weathers and Ive got to say they are very confidence inspiring! I do tend to throw the bike around and if you look at the rear tyre its been right over on the edge, which isnt bad considering its only January!!  :lol

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2012, 08:35:44 am »
Has anyone tried any Bridgestone 023's on their 600 or can suggest an all round quality tyre combination for ST? Currently have the 021's on with un-even wear(rider fault...motorway riding...  :z not enough twisty work!! :evil )... and are not very confidence inspiring when trying to slam the bike into a corner :eek .
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2012, 05:49:21 pm »
Anyone got info on mileages? :z  I know its all relevant... I do a lot of commuting.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2012, 12:43:24 am »
I have the bridgestones that are recommended 020 gg but the last pair cost me £250 to be fitted to loose wheels, so I'm going to look for something less expensive, I'm lucky to get 4000 miles out of the rear tyre and I don't use the rear brake unless it's wet, on gravel or running out of road.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2012, 01:32:20 pm »
I'm using the Bridgestone 023s (which replaced the 020s) which have done around 6000 miles (including a fair bit of work through the twisties :) ) and they are still in very good nick.

They cost me £235 including a new set of valves.

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2012, 11:26:33 pm »
Had a BT021 on for the past 9000 miles and while it's not completely down to the markers it's not far off so am getting a new Continental Conti-motion I think it is - £93 fitted to a loose wheel which I thought was ok. I only use the bike for commuting so should do me fine - time will tell....

I used a few sets of Continental Road Attacks on my Fazer 1000 and couldn't fault them -hope these are as good.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2012, 10:15:54 pm »
i have battalax 014s at the moment thinking of going to continental motion or attacks which will suit the fz6s seeing as its a lighter bike ???

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2012, 07:11:25 pm »
I've only done about 100 miles on the Conti-motions but they seem to be ok so far - I only use the bike for commuting tho so not sure how they'd handle a more spirited ride. They were good enough to see a 4.2 Jag XKR off at the lights when he floored it next to me - he lost  :D