Date: 18-05-24  Time: 03:04 am

Author Topic: 2001 FZS600 - service intervals?  (Read 2763 times)

malcolmmcdonald

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
2001 FZS600 - service intervals?
« on: 05 May 2016, 10:25:25 am »
It's coming up to MOT time, so I'm thinking about getting the bike serviced as well as passed (hopefully). I bought a low-mileage Fazer in September 2014: when May 2015 came around - since I was new to the bike etc. - I put it in for a service as well as the required MOT.

I've done 3,000-odd miles since then, and the clock's still under 20K. The bike's kept outside under an Oxford Stormtech cover since I don't have a garage. It goes well, without any particular issues. I love this bike, but I'm not very savvy with the mechanics of it - I just regularly clean and lube the chain, make sure the battery's okay, and keep the tyres at the right pressure. And put petrol in it.

Just wondering if I should do the same as last year i.e. MOT + service. I'd appreciate any ideas/guidance. Thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 FZS600 - service intervals?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2016, 11:52:17 am »
Depends how much dosh you want to spend really?

You're better off getting a Haynes manual and start learning to do the basics yourself though to be honest.
Coolant, plugs and oil are simple enough to do, but maintaining things like brake calipers are certainly worth learning, especially as it is quite an important part of the bike and if you look after them once or twice a year they will serve you well in the long run.

And of course if you need any advice whatsoever you can always ask on here.  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2016, 01:27:25 pm »
What he says.

I certainly wouldn't take it to a garage for oil or filter changes. Brakes I do myself too. Valve clearances no as I don't have the confidence to do them. The front suspension oil seals I leave to the garage as it's not that expensive to have them done although it's not too difficult.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
Depends on whether you think it's a keeper or not.  It's not a difficult bike to work on and performing basic mechanical maintenance can be most enjoyable.

Also, with that mileage bear in mind you're getting closer to the first major / potentially expensive valve clearance check. They rarely need adjusted, but your wallet most certainly will be if you leave it in to a dealer & pay full whack....

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2016, 12:44:44 am »
Personally, if it's running well, was serviced a year ago (filters, oil, plugs) and has only done 3000 miles, I'd just ride it.

Ask the MOT guy to advise on the general condition of the brakes, suspension, chain/sprockets,  wheel/steering bearings, etc and spend your money where he advises (if he seems legit and) if you want to.

Servicing yourself is all pretty straight forward. The fazer is well built and as long as you keep on top of the oil/filter change interval, it'll just run and run.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2016, 06:21:00 am »
Depends how much dosh you want to spend really?

You're better off getting a Haynes manual and start learning to do the basics yourself though to be honest.
Coolant, plugs and oil are simple enough to do, but maintaining things like brake calipers are certainly worth learning, especially as it is quite an important part of the bike and if you look after them once or twice a year they will serve you well in the long run.

And of course if you need any advice whatsoever you can always ask on here.  :thumbup

Also, there a comprehensive service schedule guide at the front of the manual, which should answer all the OP's questions.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2016, 08:01:05 am »
As mr self destruct says go by the manual and you can't go wrong. A full service with some mechanics is oil, filters and spark plugs. If you want anything more you have to state what you want

malcolmmcdonald

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2016, 06:11:44 pm »
Thanks to all for your tuppencesworth, much appreciated. So I think I'll put it through the MOT and have a word with the MOT fella - he's 100% on the level - about any likely upcoming issues.  And do the basics myself, Haynes at the ready.
I don't have a lot of dosh to spare, so I'm thinking this could be the nudge I need to get into doing basic bike maintenance/mechanics etc. myself.
Thanks again,folks.

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2016, 06:27:20 pm »
im always twiddling with the bike so gets most things checked regular  but as regard major service etc i change oil+filter every 3000 miles
all depends on your riding if your a thrasher or a cruiser ?? the harder you ride the faster things wear out  :) :)
waters wet, shit stinks !