Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:44 pm

Author Topic: Yamaha prices  (Read 1349 times)

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Yamaha prices
« on: 13 January 2012, 10:38:47 am »
Anyone else think that Yamaha were pretty sneaky?

They whacked their prices up loads so other manufacturers could put theirs up, and still not be the most expensive.

Now they've dropped them and seem to be undercutting everything  :eek

Sneaky...

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: Yamaha prices
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2012, 08:40:26 am »
I won't have problems with prices of new bikes as long as the FZS works.  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
Supermarkets do it all the time, it's a con but a perfectly legal way to have a "sale". The fact they are now also undercutting competitors with previous prices won't be a mistake either.
thou shalt not kick

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2012, 07:58:58 am »
I read the article in Bike mag which argues that jap bikes R still cheaper than Italian/ european equivalent.And how in real terms prices are similar to 10 yrs ago....

which is all Ok till you realise that in 2006 a new import FZ-1 could be had for £5995 OTR ! Today they are £10k....

me, I just think bike market is chasing the available cash...which is better off middle aged blokes and older who do have £15k to spend on a toy!There is no surprise to me that the bike market i sshifting away from sports to adventure/ touring bikes...its a reflection of the age of the market, and the sort of bikes they want. Compare development of the BMW 6 cyl giant tourer to the effort put into the S1000RR...itself a  very similar copy of the 2005 GSXR1000 with a few bits added .The 1600 is a completely new bike.Completely diffrent budgets.If BMW were not going WSB ...I do wonder if they would have bothered at all ??

myself I think its self destructive pricing , as there is a dwindling market. IMO bike manufacturers need to focus on reviving a mass market, and creating a cheap form of transport for younger riders. Oddly , it could be Honda who do just that with their innovative 700 cc bike range. Very economical quasi bikes which could be good fun to ride at a price which wont break the bank.I still think we need 500cc or less  bikes which  are cheap to run, fun to ride,and have genuine entry level prices...create a stepping stone market to bigger bikes.Other than scooters there is precious little out there . The street triple IMO was the right idea, but now thats getting well over £6k new....just need to do something about the £4k new price mark...in 10 yrs time, many of todays older generation bikers will be hanging up their boots for good...if the market is not revived , there wont be much of one to share out by then.