Date: 11-05-24  Time: 13:19 pm

Author Topic: Oil Light  (Read 1684 times)

PeeGee

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Oil Light
« on: 03 July 2014, 05:14:39 pm »
Hello everyone, My FZS 600 has developed an intermittent oil light issue, which is a tad worrying. Oil and filter changes are done at 3000 miles using a good oil, and filter. The level is fine, but about 2 miles from home the oil light began to flicker then stayed on for about 5 seconds, I had closed throttle and pulled clutch in by that time. Light goes out, continue journey, after 5 miles light flickers and soon goes out, no leaks, level still fine. Decide to turn round and head home, road works on a hill, traffic lights at red, when green, pull away and oil light comes on again, but soon goes out. Back home once again check level which is OK and no leaks, anyone had same problem, is it pressure rather than low oil ? :eek     

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Light
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2014, 05:17:01 pm »
I would check the oil is at the top mark on the sight glass, the light is a level indicator not a oil pressure light.
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

PeeGee

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2014, 05:36:16 pm »
Many thanks, I think I will change filter and oil just to be on the safe side.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2014, 07:29:00 pm »
Sounds exactly the same as what I had - its on accelerating and the oil is being pushed to the back away from the sensor 50ml extra of oil stoped it.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2014, 05:42:31 am »
Sounds exactly the same as what I had - its on accelerating and the oil is being pushed to the back away from the sensor 50ml extra of oil stoped it.

I remember you saying that a couple of times before, but i still don't get how the equivalent measure of a large shot of spirits spread over a whole sump can make this problem go away when the oil is being sloshed about all over the place?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2014, 05:52:25 am »
Hello everyone, My FZS 600 has developed an intermittent oil light issue, which is a tad worrying. Oil and filter changes are done at 3000 miles using a good oil, and filter. The level is fine, but about 2 miles from home the oil light began to flicker then stayed on for about 5 seconds, I had closed throttle and pulled clutch in by that time. Light goes out, continue journey, after 5 miles light flickers and soon goes out, no leaks, level still fine. Decide to turn round and head home, road works on a hill, traffic lights at red, when green, pull away and oil light comes on again, but soon goes out. Back home once again check level which is OK and no leaks, anyone had same problem, is it pressure rather than low oil ? :eek   

It could well just be oil levels though, i s'pose it depends if the level is being checked correctly or not?

Obviously the bike needs to be on the centre stand on a level surface, start the bike and let tickover for about 90 seconds, then switch off and check the glass.
I prefer mine to be about two thirds up between the lower and upper level engine markings once settled.

Out of curiosity what oil have you been using?
« Last Edit: 04 July 2014, 12:34:04 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2014, 07:25:43 am »
These bikes are well known for this - I've had it myself - you just need the wee top up as stated, and all will be good...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2014, 11:57:02 am »
Tiz tru honest, after all its an on-off switch and so there has to be a point where even 3ml extra stops it.
A little recap had the bike 13 years has 16k on clocks and have changed the oil and filter about 7 times - each time have used castrol act-evo and filled to the same level after usual running and checking.
This time I used hein gerrics own oil, and it was only after about 1500 miles that it started on fast accelerating and I toped up with about 50ml which stopped it.
So I am putting it down to the oil and will be sticking to act evo now.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2014, 12:15:47 am »
It happened to me on the chippie run, under hard acceleration only the once and I put it down to the acceleration and as an indication of low level oil. when I checked the glass oil level is lower half between the dots. So will top up before Sunday :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)