Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:16 am

Author Topic: Modding the 'Flies'  (Read 4421 times)

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Modding the 'Flies'
« on: 12 July 2014, 08:29:53 pm »
Hi all,

I've seen a few youtube vids about modding the secondary butterfly valves on the FZ1 (I have a 2011 version) and wondered if this was worth doing and what the effects were, both positive and negative.

I currently have the tank up while doing some other work and will be balancing TB's so thought this could be a potential mod.

It sounds like mid range is boosted as the air is made available quicker, which sounds great but does this affect mpg (which I really don't want to drop any further if I can help it).
The vids show the 'flies' being trimmed, but I thought surely just removing or opening fully and inactivating would be easier, or is this too much of an effect?

Anyone done this mod and thoughts on the effects to an otherwise stock bike.

Cheers.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Modding the 'Flies'
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2014, 09:02:11 pm »
I modded mine but ended up doing away with them altogether.. Ran better though I've had the pc3 set up for no flies, Your welcome to try my cut out onesthough I'm not back from me paint course for a week.
The main thing is plenty (get them proper hot to melt the loctite )of concentrated heat and the exact right screwdriver ..otherwise you'll round the screw heads or even snap part of the head out..then really carefully remove them before you open the flies to remove

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2014, 10:02:25 pm »
Cheers for that, thanks for the offer but I'd be tempted to go all out and remove them, but do you think the benefit would still be worth it on a stock setup without a PC3?
Just don't want to bugger something up.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2014, 04:06:45 pm »
On a stock setup I think it will probably bog, but you've nothing to lose by trying it mate..you can't really bugger anything up as such..and it may well run pukka. I've seen a bandit 1200 on the dyno closing it's secondaries  when throttling up, so I don't really buy the argument for smoother running, I think it's just another covert emissions strangler
It seems tuning a modern bike is mostly just removing emissions crap and fuelling to suit
If you do try it, lots of heat, and a pukka screwdriver, not just some maplins tools one or similar..I found a pro set in machine mart
« Last Edit: 13 July 2014, 04:08:20 pm by ogri48 »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2014, 06:32:04 pm »
Thanks, all done now and cheers for the advice on the heat etc.

Used a miniblow torch to heat each screw and it released no problem.

I've just removed completely rather than just trimming them down and will see how it goes next week. A guy on another forum says he removed them completely on a ktm and it improved low down power a lot.

I reckon your right about emissions though, so I'm happy to get rid of it doesn't affect anything else.

If it bogs ill just trim them down and pop them back.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2014, 06:50:38 pm »

I like the sounds of this free mod......but I've no idea whether my bike has had it done or not.....just taking something out sounds like my cup o tea though.

Fazafou....will you post up the results when you've gone for a spin & drained a tank o fuel?......like you i wouldn't want any less mpg even if it did increase power.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2014, 06:56:03 pm »
Yeah no problem, I'm in the cage tomorrow but will be back to commuting on the bike on Tuesday so will fill up to the brim and get the average mpg over the week. Currently average around the 45mpg Mark give or take, so will report back in any noticeable affect to response and impact to mpg :)

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2014, 08:03:40 am »
Well first impressions are good.

No bogging at all, in fact I initially forgot I'd done anything to the bike this morning which is kind of a good sign, but also showed the effect is minimal.

However I did start to notice the pickup at low revs us a little better and throttle response has improved. Its a bit sharper at picking up with even small throttle inputs.

Overall I'd say the effect isn't worth opening up the air box just to do this, but if you're in there any way I'd give it a go.

That said, I'll let you know how fuel consumption goes this week and if there's any downsides or maybe even improvement.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2014, 08:51:17 am »
to get the best from this mod you really need to do pc3/5 etc granted tiz free
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)