Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:18 pm

Author Topic: Carburetor 4-Way Crossover Equalization Manifold Set-up  (Read 2147 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Carburetor 4-Way Crossover Equalization Manifold Set-up
« on: 26 April 2012, 11:28:51 pm »
Ayup chaps, im looking for a some feedback and info as to your set up on the above  !
Now ive seen this on pats page and have the various pipes to do the job.
6mm pipe: as per pat's but note the pipe is huge of the spigots
5mm pipe: this fits better
Do i do the 4 link-up method or 1-4 / 2-3 method
so my Q what would be the best method or the best tried method by yourself.

Dave  :think

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Carburetor 4-Way Crossover Equalization Manifold Set-up
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2012, 11:59:15 pm »
I did the 1 - 4  2-3 method. But honestly I didn't realy notice a diff between the methods.
And the first way just seemed over complicated so I simplified it to the 2nd way.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2012, 12:11:39 am »
A complete waste of time I found.. .  much like the mirror mod.  :(

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2012, 01:28:32 am »
I got rid of the vibes in my bars  and im trying to get rid of some vibes i have in the pegs (lsl rear sets) and have done about everything there is too do apart from the the above so will this make any difference!!  i note when i remove the exhaust can hanger from the rear peg the vibes are gone and putting my hand on the can i can feel the vibes.

Dave .

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2012, 04:47:37 am »
Dave, you're trying to remove vibes from a bike which has an unbalanced 4-cylinder motor.  There will always be secondary vibes as a result.

All sorts of things can affect the transmission of those vibes around the bike, like the exhaust can for example.  I found fitting the Akra headers and can reduced vibes felt.  Lead shot in the bars did nothing, though.  A full tank of fuel changes the vibe characteristics, too.  I also have LSL footrests but those are vibe-free on mine.

As for the carb X-over mod, like Graham B, I found it a complete waste of time. 

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2012, 06:58:08 am »
No vibes as such on mine .

i have renthal bar end plugs not weights, and when i had gilles rearsets fitted no vibes in them ( sold to Kosmic)

there is some tingerling but i consider the feel of that makes me feel connected to the engine, more feeling the bike is alive :)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Carburetor 4-Way Crossover Equalization Manifold Set-up
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2012, 09:17:36 am »
Yeah it's more a tingling in the pegs I notice it very slightly in the tank as well at about 2500 rpm but wind the throttle on and it does disappear, I did fill the pegs on the Lsl sets as there hollow with melted lead to make a lead bullet not sure if it worked or not ! I'll give the linking up the carbs a miss I think than, I did buy a Morgan carbtune last night of evilbay so I'll see if the carbs are out, I did have vibes in the bars but I sorted them and they are vibe free now.

Dave

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2012, 10:17:05 am »
going back to the very early 80s yamaha had YICS on some of the bike which linked the 4 cylinders with a channel in the cylinder head,that worked on those engines as the channel was 10mm and it was near the ports,the idea was as a cylinder was on induction it would drag some mixture from the othe carbs,this would cause swirl within the combustion chamber giving better combustion,it did work on those engine because they were 8 valve,a modern 16 valve or 20 valve engine has natural swirl in the combustion chamber and a better combustion chamber shape so the linking of the ports wont work,and as the pipes are in the inlets they are too far away anyway.yamaha only ever fitted YICS on one multi valve engine and that was a v twin XZ550,that was by pipes and it did not work on that either