Date: 01-06-24  Time: 21:32 pm

Author Topic: Removal of front forks.  (Read 9146 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of front forks.
« Reply #25 on: 22 June 2015, 01:34:39 pm »
ok understood.....so, HOW do you verify the same level?

I might cut some length of plastic and use it as a dip type stick...

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2015, 12:40:26 pm »
Just a had quote to do my fork seals...
Both quotes for loose forks...

Guy in shawlands £40 no oil
Ride on motorbikes £100 including oil

So I guess it's get the forks off time now :(
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2015, 12:43:30 pm »
hi sinto, are they local?

when i was thinking of sending mine away i needed good packing materials....local carpet shop was happy to give me loose cardboard rolls that the carpt came on.....nice and tought and fit the forks nicely....with a bit of bubble wrap

:lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 June 2015, 12:48:55 pm »
hi sinto, are they local?

when i was thinking of sending mine away i needed good packing materials....local carpet shop was happy to give me loose cardboard rolls that the carpt came on.....nice and tought and fit the forks nicely....with a bit of bubble wrap

:lol

Don't you have a local shop or any guy that's closer to you?

Yes, both places within 5miles of my house, can drop them one day then collect them a couple of days later, although I was hoping to drop them off on a sat morning as I'm working away in Carlisle for a week, where I use my cage, then collect them when I return. But the guy says he's closed when I wanted to do it, so I just need to use my cage next week :eek
« Last Edit: 23 June 2015, 12:50:03 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 June 2015, 01:14:35 pm »
yes have shops close, it was when i was considering sending them to a company that sold springs, but gave it a go myself and was not hard - changing springs, not done fork seals....think you need a certain set of tools...

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2015, 01:20:45 pm »
Don't think you need 'special' tools as there's always stuff around you can use and having a bit of savvy helps too :rolleyes
I've done fork seals before and no hassle, only thing is...it's a foccin dirty job and where do you get rid of the old oil is a pain now :eek so for the price for someone to do them of the bike, let them have the hassles :lol
« Last Edit: 23 June 2015, 01:21:24 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2015, 01:36:33 pm »
To answer you earlier question use something clean to use as a dipstick.  I used a large screwdriver last time with a bit of tape wrapped round the shaft so when the bottom of the handle was resting on the top of the fork tube the bottom of the tape was at the required oil level.  You can get setups with a syringe with a long calibrated tube so you slightly over fill the for and then suck the oil out till it falls to the right level.

You local council dump should have a waste oil tank.

But your right it can be messy and once the oil contaminated with water it stinks

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2015, 09:01:37 pm »
hi,

Regarding the 15mm in post 10, 14 and pictured in post 15.
What manual and does anyone have a copy I would like to understand why the 15mm and what it does to the front suspension.

Cheers,

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2015, 09:17:30 pm »
hi,

Regarding the 15mm in post 10, 14 and pictured in post 15.
What manual and does anyone have a copy I would like to understand why the 15mm and what it does to the front suspension.

Cheers,
I've got a manual and the download for the 98 fazer and can't find that anywhere, mind you, I don't have the damper screw on top so it might be just for that model??
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2015, 09:23:23 pm »
So I was out in the garage contemplating what I'll need to do to get these forks off...

All looks easy enough, got the beam to support the front or I'll just use my eazyrizer lift, not decided yet, but has anyone came across any problems once they've taken the front wheel off for example, goosed bearings or the like.
Pre-warned is pre-armed :)
Colin
----------------------

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 June 2015, 10:26:36 pm »
i had no issues, get the bike supported under the engine with front wheel free, pop wheel out, might want to losen the cap bolts for the mechanics, so undo top yoke bolts first, then slacken off cap bolts then slacken off each bottom yoke bolt and don't let fork drop, maybe nip up cap bolts again...

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 June 2015, 10:32:05 pm »
i had no issues, get the bike supported under the engine with front wheel free, pop wheel out, might want to losen the cap bolts for the mechanics, so undo top yoke bolts first, then slacken off cap bolts then slacken off each bottom yoke bolt and don't let fork drop, maybe nip up cap bolts again...
Good advice anutz apart from "might want to losen the cap bolts for the mechanics" is this not what I'm paying them to do the job for? :moon :rollin
Colin
----------------------

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 June 2015, 10:43:09 pm »
Good advice anutz apart from "might want to losen the cap bolts for the mechanics" is this not what I'm paying them to do the job for? :moon :rollin

yeah but when its in the forks its safely held strongly so if its a bugger to release the cap you know its held properly in forks and not potentially damaged by an over tightened vice........might be just me worrying about nothing but thats what i spend a lot of time doing....

its keeps me busy.....now i am worried...  :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 June 2015, 10:51:18 pm »
yeah but when its in the forks its safely held strongly so if its a bugger to release the cap you know its held properly in forks and not potentially damaged by an over tightened vice........might be just me worrying about nothing but thats what i spend a lot of time doing....

its keeps me busy.....now i am worried...  :lol

They'll be fine I'm sure, just imagine, hand in forks, they don't have the tools or the knowledge :eek ,  I go back and I get them, they've been damaged or focced, guess who's in trouble? Not me matey as i only took them off, I've done my job, I'm sure they can do theirs :)

And yes, you do worry a bit too much mate :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 23 June 2015, 10:52:29 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 June 2015, 12:31:15 pm »
has anyone came across any problems once they've taken the front wheel off for example, goosed bearings or the like.

Watch our for the speedo sensor when removing/replacing the wheel.  Rather than confuse things with left/right, it's on the opposite side to the the axle bolt.  It is easy to snap the tabs on it, so try to hold it in place until the wheel is clear of the fork and you can pull it out safely. Alternatively, I ran a string of small zip ties around holes in the brake disc and over the speedo sensor, so it was held in place.  This does mean you have to leave the wheel in place rather than away from the bike, but it worked for me.

riedrider

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - TDM850, BT1100, NTV650, R100R
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 June 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
but it's also important that both sides are equal.

To achieve this I built this thing from scrap:

But you can also buy such a tool for a lot of money:

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/fork-oil-level-gauge-60-ml/10003232?list=40836071
« Last Edit: 24 June 2015, 07:47:10 pm by riedrider »
Guenter

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 June 2015, 06:20:35 pm »
has anyone came across any problems once they've taken the front wheel off for example, goosed bearings or the like.

Watch our for the speedo sensor when removing/replacing the wheel.  Rather than confuse things with left/right, it's on the opposite side to the the axle bolt.  It is easy to snap the tabs on it, so try to hold it in place until the wheel is clear of the fork and you can pull it out safely. Alternatively, I ran a string of small zip ties around holes in the brake disc and over the speedo sensor, so it was held in place.  This does mean you have to leave the wheel in place rather than away from the bike, but it worked for me.

Cheers Jaime, can't figure out your point of

"This does mean you have to leave the wheel in place rather than away from the bike"

Don't I need to take the wheel away as I'm taking off the forks?

I'd rather take everything off tbh, so will need to be careful when taking the wheel sensor out, good point though :)
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 June 2015, 05:03:54 pm »
Well I did the removal today, ready to use the cage for the week while they're in getting the seals and new oil done :)

All was good with no problems, tied up the calipers and the speed sensor.
Here's some pics showing before & after clean up :)
Colin
----------------------