• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
SORN
« on: 15 May 2013, 06:49:06 pm »
Does anyone know what the score is with the following situation: -

Bike A taxed/MOT last week, another bike (B) acquired today, intention to sell bike A asap but not worth the extra cost to keeping it insured, if the bike could be sold in a matter of days or at most weeks, with no intention of riding it. If bike A is now SORN as per the law and tax not surrendered is it just a simple matter of un SORN and the tax or whatever's left on it starts running again?

Bike needs to be sold with tax on rather than cash it in for the sake of perhaps a few days/weeks         
Later

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
Re: SORN
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 07:06:03 pm »
to me i think so you dont have to hand your tax disc in  :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2013, 07:21:33 pm »
If Bike A is currently taxed/MOTd & you intend to sell it shortly whats the point of SORN ing it only to have to retax before sale? SORN is for vehicles that you intend to keep off public highway for a period of time, usually declaration made to SORN when tax has/is about to expire.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
Exactly wh

« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 07:29:37 pm by Doddsie »

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 07:31:14 pm »
 :eek   oh, what happened there??,Half my post disappeared!!!!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2013, 07:40:17 pm »
Strange that Doddsie, I had just read it and then 2 minutes later it had gone ?
Anyway to the point in hand. Continuous insurance enforcement has been in play since 2011, which means if it is taxed it must be insured or you are breaking the law. Afraid I can answer the actual question of if you can declare sorn and then un-declare sorn and carry on with the existing tax disc. Be interesting to know though.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2013, 07:49:37 pm »
If Bike A is currently taxed/MOTd & you intend to sell it shortly whats the point of SORN ing it only to have to retax before sale? SORN is for vehicles that you intend to keep off public highway for a period of time, usually declaration made to SORN when tax has/is about to expire.

Because it not insured and they now have to be or SORN
Later

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2013, 07:51:28 pm »
If you sorn it, don't you have to return the disc?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
Didn't realise bike had to be insured if kept on SORN. Could you get round it by taking out short term insurance?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2013, 08:13:14 pm »
Didn't realise bike had to be insured if kept on SORN. Could you get round it by taking out short term insurance?

It doesn't but it does ie have to SORN if it doesn't have insurance that the questio
Later

Stooby2

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XJ900 Diversion 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2013, 09:50:35 pm »
Presumably Bike A is insured at the moment? If it's taxed it has to be. It can either be uninsured, off the road & SORN'd or taxed & insured. If it is insured why not keep it that way until it's sold?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2013, 10:21:18 pm »
Ok lets start again.  Bike A was taxed/mot'ed last week and insured until today, so bike A now has TAX/MOT but no insurance, because its just not worth the extra money adding it to bike B insurance, for what will hopefully be a few weeks it will take to sell and there is no intention to ride it.

The reason for the above bike B has been acquired and has now taken bike A place.

The problem: If a bike is not insured it must be SORN.  The bike has 11 months 16 days tax, so if it's SORN and I dont surrender tax for a refund when it's sold can it be un SORN and the system realises it's got tax and it just kicks back in until it runs out?
Or does SORN automatically cancel any remaining tax and when un SORN you have to pay again?

Yes I could just surrender the tax but if I do that I believe it will make it less attractive for a quick sale, perhaps I've got that bit wrong and it's doesn't matter?       
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 10:23:07 pm by Gnasher »
Later

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2013, 10:59:05 pm »
Why not go online and see if the system will let you sorn it.
malc

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2013, 06:57:03 am »
Gnasher-appreciate what you say. Wouldn't it be easier to insure your bike A for say 1 month-if your insurance company is willing to do this?
presume you are putting bike up for sale ASAP so although it would involve paying out for ins cover short term, your advert will pull in more potential buyers if taxed & MOT than if SORNed, and it saves you the hassle of surrendering tax for refund-they will only reimburse you for complete months unexpired-only to have to retax soon after. Keep it Simple! Lifes complex enough as it is :rolleyes
  OR............ Why not phone DVLA & see if theres a way round this?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2013, 07:42:27 am »
Gnasher-appreciate what you say. Wouldn't it be easier to insure your bike A for say 1 month-if your insurance company is willing to do this?

Mate thats what I thought and I've been up two avenues: -

1. Bike A was insured bike B accquired add bike B to bike A exisisting insurance  :) .  The bikes are classed in two different classes bike A a modern classic (bike more than 10yrs old) bike B normal can't add bike B to bike A they wont allow it,   :(  have to open new policy and add bike A to bike B the cost more than doubles the price  :eek  even though you can't ride two bikes at the same time normal insurance rip off!  :wall 

2. Insure bike B for a limited period, the cost even for a week is almost the price of the tax  :eek

As you can see it's just not worth it the tax on the bike is £47 all I want to do is keep it taxed to help sell it doesn't need insurance where its kept is about as safe as it can get and there is no intention of riding it.       

presume you are putting bike up for sale ASAP so although it would involve paying out for ins cover short term, your advert will pull in more potential buyers if taxed & MOT than if SORNed? and it saves you the hassle of surrendering tax for refund

Thats it.  :) 

they will only reimburse you for complete months unexpired-only to have to retax soon after. Keep it Simple! Lifes complex enough as it is :rolleyes 

Yep  :)

OR............ Why not phone DVLA & see if theres a way round this?

The next step just thought someone may have already had this and knows what the score is.

Basiclly it appears the DVLA/law whatever have turned a simple thing like choosing not to insure a bike/car on grounds of cost keeping off the road i.e. garaged or similar so you can sell it with tax into a real pain!  Now it's possible it can be done hopefully that will be confirmed when I can get hold of someone at the DVLA but, to me this is a classic case of punishing the mases for the few who take the piss >:       

Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2013, 08:53:52 am »
Keep the tax disk but SORN bike A. When you sell it, the new keeper in sorns it and away they go with their own insurance.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2013, 09:09:57 am »
If you sorn it, don't you have to return the disc?

If you take the vehicle off the road, you must return the tax disc, using form v14. The other form to declare sorn, v890, says it must not be used if the vehicle is taxed.

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2013, 09:49:46 am »
:agree
If you want to keep the tax disc, you'll have to insure the bike.
If you want to SORN it, you have to surrender the tax disc. This would give you 11 months refund (approx £43), then when you sell the bike, retax it for the buyer using their insurance and the new keeper section of the V5. That way the buyer get a full years tax and it's only cost you about £4 instead of however much it would be to insure it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2013, 10:16:18 am »
I guess it depends on exactly how quickly you end up selling the bike...

For the sake of a few days, my car was uninsured parked on my driveway in a cul-de-sac for about 10 days but I failed to see a reason to return the tax disc. So far I haven't heard anything about it and all is well

Obviously, standard disclaimer of just because this worked for me, doesn't mean you won't get caught. Just providing my experience :)