Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:18 am

Author Topic: Throttle response with Ivan kit  (Read 1301 times)

dueruote

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Throttle response with Ivan kit
« on: 07 October 2021, 10:56:25 am »
Hi everyone, first post here, though I've been following the forum for quite some time.
I have Ivanised my FZS 1000 a couple years ago, standard kit. The job was relatively easy even for the first time, thanks to the information available here and Pat FZ1 site.
Although it was fun in the beginning, I feel the throttle response to be much sharp and too sensitive for everyday riding.  I would say it is the equivalent on a modern bike to run in sport mode. It's fun to do occasionally, but not all the time.
Any thoughts on that ? Anything worth doing ?
« Last Edit: 07 October 2021, 11:11:25 am by dueruote »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle response with Ivan kit
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2021, 01:42:20 pm »
I've fitted a few of these kits and sharp throttle response shouldn't be an issue.  What you get is smooth, linear power delivery from idle upwards, with no lean surge below 5k rpm or hesitancy on the throttle around 2 -3k rpm.

Assuming you've fitted the kit correctly, whereabouts in the rev range/throttle operation are you finding things not to your liking?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2021, 02:11:00 pm »
Do yoy have an R1/R6 throttle tube on it? If so put back the original tube if not put back the standard diaphragm slides and springs. 
Strange issue since  the standard FZS100 setup is extremely lazy.

dueruote

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2021, 10:40:56 pm »

I am really convinced the installation was well performed, every step of it. Again, thanks for the instructions and countless tips.

As I wanted to change the throttle cables, I went ahead and pulled out the carbs to check.
Everything was perfectly clean, but the strange thing was the floats height being completely out of spec, 10 to 11 mm.
I set them back at 14.5 mm.

I have the original throttle tube 36 mm, which I now trimmed to 34 mm.
Was a good move, and at the same time I get a slightly lighter actuation force.

After readjusting the floats, the engine is now easier to start, whether from cold or hot.
Perhaps is running smoother too, and with the trimmed throttle tube, I think the throttle response is less harsh now. I still need to check it better in a longer ride, but so far seems promising.

« Last Edit: 08 October 2021, 10:41:46 pm by dueruote »

dueruote

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2021, 02:57:12 pm »
After riding around 90 km, I can say there was some improvement. Changes made were:
- New OEM throttle cables.
- Carburettors float height was out of spec and was readjusted.
- Throttle tube trimmed from 36 mm to 34 mm.

Can't say for sure how much each change alone influenced, but the combined result is satisfactory for the issues I was experiencing.
Bike runs smoother now, easier to modulate the throttle too.