Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Exup valve. What noise does a loose one make?

(1/4) > >>

NitramA:
Almost since as long back as I can remember my bike has been making a noise that I’ve been unable to locate.
The closest I can get to describing it is that it sounds like the rattle you get from the clutch basket when you pull the clutch in.
Its not overly loud but I do notice it up to around 30 to 40mph. It might be there at higher speed but its drowned out by other noises.

Its a constant tone and doesn’t change with road speed or if the clutch is in or out.
I’ve checked just about everything from fairing panels rattling , through from mudguard resonating to chain tension.
I did at one point think it was the front tyre as it seemed to disappear after I replaced it, but I soon heard it again.

The one thing that’s just struck me was that perhaps its no more than a loose Exup valve rattling  away.
Could it be this? I’ve serviced it regularly so I know its free. I wonder if its too free!

unfazed:
It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.

NitramA:

--- Quote from: unfazed on 19 June 2021, 06:53:39 pm ---It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, I’m not sure if it’s that. I hear something that’s quite a low frequency , but the speed seems about right.
I’ve just had a look at the valve and there’s some lateral movement (maybe  3 mm in/out) . Is that acceptable?

SkidT:
It's like something loose with a tinkling sound at 30 to 40 on/off throttle. Normally if really loose it rattles like someone tapping a spanner on the exhaust at tickover when cold.”

That’s exactly what mine sounds like, rattling at tick over. Bizarrely, it didn’t do it before I had it refurbed. Did nothing to the EXUP so don’t understand what has changed. Anything that you can do about it??

I’ve serviced it regularly and had it apart again as soon as I noticed it rattling. But all the constituent parts were present and correct.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

[cleaned up broken html - bkd]

unfazed:
Adjust the cable and it will stop, it is hitting the Exhaust when fully closed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version