Date: 18-04-24  Time: 10:00 am

Author Topic: Car insurance for young drivers  (Read 6339 times)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Car insurance for young drivers
« on: 06 July 2013, 11:27:08 am »
Where the fuck can you get a sensible quote for car insurance for younger drivers? My daughter has just passed her test and is 18 1/2 years old. No Accidents, no convictions, car garaged at night.

Looked at a £1000, old Ford Ka £4500 a year insurance. A 10 year old £1300 Toyota Corolla Auto £10,000 insurance and as my dad used to work a Fords and gets a good discount I thought I would look at a new Fiesta £52,227.29 a year  :eek .

I have tried all the online comparison sites plus a few others.

Are most young drivers uninsured because it costs nearly the same to put her on as a named driver?

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Car insurance for young drivers
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2013, 11:41:37 am »
Got a multi car quote from Admiral after agreeing to move my car and wife's car over to them. Also I usually add myself and or wife as appropriate to get the best price.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 11:46:40 am »
I'm 19. Why do you think I started riding bikes?!?  :eek :eek

For me, a 20 year old C15 minivan, worth £300 was going to cost £4,500 p/a on 3rd party alone!! As it is, I have to pay £750 p/a for the Fazer.
The Deef's apprentice

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 11:55:48 am »
I'm soooo glad I learned to ride before all this insurance lunacy. At 18, I went from a CB100 to a 750 Turbo, and remember paying about £250 TPFT for the first policy on the Turbo. What's that in todays terms?

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2013, 12:09:56 pm »
My Granddaughter (19) got a fully com policy & added  her mum as named driver. Seat Arosa 1.3
She agreed to have a Black box installed. Insurance pays for it.
Records speed, time of day/night, etc.
If she keeps out of trouble she can have a , Bonus Accelerator Policy .
Paid £900.F/c
 One of the reasons was, she did an advanced young driver instruction/test with the driving school straight after passing her test. Took over £500 Off straight away.

For more info on this insurance visit.  http://www.bell.co.uk/about_us.php

Hope this helps some.

« Last Edit: 06 July 2013, 08:23:04 pm by rayburn600 »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2013, 01:34:09 pm »
My Granddaughter (19) got fully com with her mum as named driver. Seat Arosa 1.3
She agreed to have a Black box installed. Insurance pays for it.
Records speed, time of day/night, etc.
If she keeps out of trouble she can have ncd in her own name.
£900.F/c
 One of the reasons was, she did an advanced young drivers test with the driving school straight after passing her test. Took over £500 Off straight away.

Which insurance company was that with? My daughter took the pass plus straight after her test, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Adding my wife, myself or both reduced the premiums a bit but not drastically.

ChristoT,

She wants a bike anyway, quite a few or her male and female friends have them, so thats the next expense   ;)

Mr Black

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki SV1000s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2013, 01:41:32 pm »
Try the CO-OP young drivers policy.  They do the black box policies.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2013, 02:25:27 pm »
Try the CO-OP young drivers policy.  They do the black box policies.

Tried them and insurethebox.com still £4500-6000 for a £1000-1500 cheap car
« Last Edit: 06 July 2013, 02:32:16 pm by Tmation »

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2013, 02:28:29 pm »
Then you get the ..can you pay my insurance and I'll pay you back as it's cheaper than pay monthly. . ..still waiting. :'(

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
I bought my first car in 1978 a 1960's MK1 Cortina Estate for £50 and it cost £40 to insure, which at the time I thought was outrageous  :lol

Fast forward 35 years so I am expecting to pay £600-£1500 for a cheap but safe car and £1000-£2000 for insurance (I had heard it has gone up a bit, but £4500 for a car that might last a year or two  :eek )

The hunt for sensible quotes goes on  :rolleyes

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2013, 02:52:31 pm »
I dont understand why insurance has ever been allowed to go up. Whenever I question why to my insurance companies they always say its because there are more accidents for them to pay out on these days as there are more cars on the road. But surelyif there are more cars then there are more insurance premiums being paid as well? They dont have an answer for that one.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2013, 03:19:21 pm »
Just renewed my home insurance it has gone up 20% from last year. If only my wages had.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2013, 05:07:26 pm »
I think I managed to get through on the skin of my teeth. I got my licence when I was 18 and was bought a £700 Peugeot 106 (1.5 Diesel) but I had to insure it - cost me £1600~ (this was in December 2008)

I could just about afford to do it as I had been working for a bit and had saved up some money. Pretty sure that is now impossible to do for todays 18 yr olds

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2013, 05:12:03 pm »
I dont understand why insurance has ever been allowed to go up. Whenever I question why to my insurance companies they always say its because there are more accidents for them to pay out on these days as there are more cars on the road. But surelyif there are more cars then there are more insurance premiums being paid as well? They dont have an answer for that one.

I'm assuming the rate of accidents, and the costs of them, go up more with an increased number of cars than purely the number of cars? I do know that the insurance sector as a whole is currently running a net loss, and is expected to do so until about 2014!

To the OP:
GoCompare is by far the single best site I've found. Depending on your wishes, if you want her daughter to get a no claims bonus then have her as the main driver of the car, and add you and your wife onto the policy (I did this for a quote, dropped it from about £1500 to £1100, so makes a big difference).

You've definitely not done something right, for a girl at that age, particularly with a garage you should be able to get insurance for something about £1000! It only cost my little brother £1100 for his current car, which is a 1.6 citroen berlingo MPV. It might also be worth looking outside the box for a first car - smalller cars like fiestas and KA's are often bought by first time drivers, who have accdents, and make them seen as a high risk car. My cheapest quote (male, age 21, just passed) was for a 2.0L petrol Ford Focus, which was about £950 parked on the road in Leicester!

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
Because there are all these people using no-win-no-fee companies to claim dodgy whiplash injuries.  If you claim and win £3k the real cost to the insurer is probably double that, if you've paid £600 for the policy then they're almost £5.5k out of pocket.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
JoeRock makes a good point about the cars

Best to chose something obscure, cheap and not very powerful or expensive to fix. The KA is used by a lot of learners and new drivers and I personally try to avoid them on the road as they have a tendency to try and kill me - the only car that is worse for this seems to be the Honda Jazz. The Corolla however I would expect to have expensive parts despite the low cost of the car.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2013, 08:11:09 pm »

Best to chose something obscure, cheap and not very powerful or expensive to fix. The KA is used by a lot of learners and new drivers and I personally try to avoid them on the road as they have a tendency to try and kill me - the only car that is worse for this seems to be the Honda Jazz. The Corolla however I would expect to have expensive parts despite the low cost of the car.
It's not fixing the car that costs, it's paying out to all the third parties.  If it was just repair costs, then TPFT would be significantly cheaper.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2013, 08:27:23 pm »

It's not fixing the car that costs, it's paying out to all the third parties.  If it was just repair costs, then TPFT would be significantly cheaper.

I completely agree, but it should be factored in to the equation

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 July 2013, 08:54:35 pm »
This is probably totally unhelpful but for me personally @ 20 years old the cheapest vehicle for me to insure was a land rover defender, one of the old 2.5l diesel ones. I was going to get one but they're not that economical and all you will get for £1500 is a bit of a rust bucket. But being in devon there were quite a few old farm vehicles going and I liked the rugged simplicity of them, plus I think it was like £900 to insure when a fiesta etc was £2.5k upwards. I bought my fazer instead though because I found driving expensive and boring and a lot of my mates drive so I can just get lifts with them if we're going somewhere as a group.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2013, 10:33:09 am »
First thing. Ford is a no no. So expensive to insure. We started an Admiral multi car policy, myself, my wife and my eldest son. He had a Peugeot 306 1.4 and it was £1400 for him, then when my youngest son passed his test last year he bought a Fiat Punto 1.2 and that was £900. I think my and my wife's insurance went up a bit but nothing drastic. Well worth a look

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 July 2013, 11:31:26 am »
I'm soooo glad I learned to ride before all this insurance lunacy. At 18, I went from a CB100 to a 750 Turbo, and remember paying about £250 TPFT for the first policy on the Turbo. What's that in todays terms?
that depends on what year it was but here are some examples using average earnings

1970= £5,440

1975= £2,560

1980=£1,290

those were the days inflation running at 25 to 30% per annum my mortgage interest rate was 18.5% yes 18.5%

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 July 2013, 11:57:58 am »
Black Friday. .

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 July 2013, 12:13:35 pm »
It used to be possible to get sensible-ish insurance prices on classic cars, even for youngsters.
Don't know if it's the same now, but it may be worth looking into.

The trouble is the "where there's blame there's a claim" attitude these days; that said, insurers don't help themselves either.
I had 2 non-fault claims (3rd parties policies paid out on both), and yet MY policy jumped up £30, WTF? "Oh well, you're x amount more likely to have a claim against you, because you have a non-fault claim" - seriously.
And we wonder, with insurance jumping up on any little excuse, why we're plagued with uninsured drivers.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
On the car front she is not bothered on style or age, you can get some expensive to run cars really cheap. I would be more than happy for her to have a bigger more solid car if we can get insurance.

I we are only spending a grand or so, I am happy to keep it safe to use until it fails the MOT or it becomes too expensive to repair, most new cars lose more than a grand in depreciation every year.

Was thinking of a new Ford as my dad used to work for them and can have 3 new cars a year on the discount scheme. Also you can get one on the option scheme, bung down a largish deposit, pay a few hundred quid a month and have a new car every year. The milage she would do would mean never having a service or buying tyres etc and the new car comes with a years tax.

I get back to the UK Tuesday, so I think I will trying going in person to a few brokers and see how that works.

One of the problems is we have a liverpool postcode, even though we live in Cheshire, I know from experience with bike insurance that it cost three times as much as my parents CM (rural Essex) postcode

Thanks for all the suggestions

Kev

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 July 2013, 03:18:13 pm »
Its not just the young ,i'm 48 , I used to insure my 2001 Green Astra Estate club 8v 1600, 4 miles up  the road at my parents rural address, but when I changed  the address the price doubled to over £500 . and that's third party fire and theft , I also have over 10 years ncb.