Date: 23-04-24  Time: 15:40 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 1000 (Gen 1) belly Pan  (Read 2664 times)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 1000 (Gen 1) belly Pan
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
The front piece does look like a direct copy of the Yam one. Still after a (now discontinued) Skidmarx one myself. Just the belly pan, not the side pieces.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
I have bid on this....So I would like to thank you for bringing it to the attention of every other Foccer.....Not :(

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
I have bid on this....So I would like to thank you for bringing it to the attention of every other Foccer.....Not :(

Dry your eyes mate  :pokefun it looks like a firm making copies of the genuine Yamaha one, and if so its a useful source for Gen 1 owners ( they make them for Gen 2 as well)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2013, 09:19:22 pm »
Eyes dried, dummy put back in the pram :D

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FZS1000 (Gen1) belly Pan by Cactus Composites: buyer beware!
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2013, 11:02:01 pm »
As this part/accessory keeps popping up I figured I had better set the record straight! as I purchased one before finding a genuine Yamaha Belly Pan.
  • The finish and prep is good-to-adequate - when I got mine painted a bunch of prep-work had to be done.
  • The tolerances are upto 5mm of in some places - jigging the BP when on the bike partially addressed this annoyance.
  • All the mounting brackets have a really thin layer of paint so will rust up within a few weeks - my solution was to get them all powder coated.
  • The foam buffers present on the original Yamaha BP are missing, this means the two halves rest directly on the frame tubes which would rub through the paint!!! - I had to buy some double sided self-adhesive thick rectangular foam pads from the local car spares shop and build them up in layers to achieve the same size and thickness as originals.
  • The two bottom half's are different thickness's, so when bolted together via the two front brackets the halfs don't line up - I had to bend the brackets into a shallow stretched s-shape to compensate and it still isn't perfect.
  • Where the bottom halves meet under the top half there is a big gap - which is made worse by the above bracket issue, but my fix means that they at least line up.
  • The GRP is very thin on the top mounting holes where the bottom halves bolt to the front frame brackets which meant I managed to cracked one side!!! - the Yamaha BP is the same thickness throughout so can withstand the crushing pressure etc (Fyi I have spent a very very long time trying to find some flanged dome-head M6*12/15mm bolts with a 5mm shank to get around this issue but with bugger all success)
  • The sides of the two halves are to close to the frame rails (even with my diy dense foam pads) - so I was forces to use a bunch of plastic washers to space them out etc .
  • The two halves needed springing out an inch to mount to the front frame brackets - Im guessing this is down to being forced to mod the lower brackets due to the thickness issue.
  • The bolts on the front mounting brackets foul the rad houses - never got around to finding the short flange-head dome bolts, see above
  • And lastly the rear mounting brackets are missing the rubber protectors, so will scratch/rub through the frame rail paint - I carefully wrapped the CC brackets in insulating tape(but need to find thicker tape as its already started to rub the paint on the frame rail)
I gave all the above feedback to "Cactus Composites" but email issue at their end meant they never got it 

And it looks like CC are doing something about all the issue's raised above so we will have a very good alternative to the yamaha om unit. And dont forget that colour-matching will add to the cost etc.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2013, 12:41:11 am by b1k3rdude »

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2013, 11:12:50 pm »
Good info, thankyou b1k3rdude  :thumbup

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2013, 06:15:45 am »
I could see that it was a copy but they have 100% feedback????

Good info though

From them one sold for £51 and another £64, so if you could get one for the £50 mark it might be worth a punt.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2013, 11:00:19 am »
Good info,
No probs, but only fault is not posting this info sooner...!
  • I could see that it was a copy but they have 100% feedback????
  • Good info though, from them one sold for £51 and another £64, so if you could get one for the £50 mark it might be worth a punt.
  • Feedback never tells the whole picture.
  • yeah, at that price once you add the cost of painting/dipping its potentially cheaper than the OM unit. But then there is still the overriding issue with the thickness being all over the place.
If there is enough interest I will do a proper review thread with the above info and a bunch of pics of the Cactus Composites BP and the Yamaha BP...? (have updated the above post with some more info from the email i originally send CC)
« Last Edit: 06 July 2013, 11:34:54 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Got some feedback from Cactus Composites
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2013, 12:38:27 am »
Well technically I should feel red faced about now, but I did send CC an email back in april which never got a reply, but this time I did...

Hi, thankyou for the feedback and yes, I would relish the oportunity to work with yourself and resolve any remaining issues. Unfortunately we never recieved any feedback from yourself regarding the product otherwise I can assure you we would have tried to resolve any issues you'd had. We are both members of FOCU, owners ourselves, and have just had a look through the post concerned. I'm sorry you are not happy with the product you received.
  • We have remade the mould since yours was produced. This has helped twofold in that the pieces produced are now much improved in finish straight out of the mould and now everything is made and dated so there are no discrepancy's in the thickness, which you had unfortunately encountered.
  • Each and every Fazer 1000 Bellypan is now trial fitted with it's brackets to ensure a superb lower close gap both between the two bottom sections and where the front piece drops on forming the front 'T' joint.
  • We now paint the brackets with two layers of black metal paint giving a much more durable finish, not perfect I know, but powder coating is currently impossible as nowhere local to us can do this at present. We also supply a 1mm rubber section to line the inside of the rear brackets to protect the side tubes. You mention you had to do something larger but we've not had any problems with any of the ones we've sent out, or at least we've not had any feedback to let us know if there was an issue.
  • Hopefully this has cured most of the issues that you had unfortunately encountered with your purchase and all I can do is apologise for the issues you have had with it. If there are more issues you think we could solve please let me know.
Best Regards.

- cactus_composites

I will contact them back with imagies of the my CC & OM Bellypans so they can hopefull fix the remaining issues, hats off to CC for the upfront reply.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2013, 12:45:40 am by b1k3rdude »