Date: 16-04-24  Time: 23:42 pm

Author Topic: Important: Check the wording of your breakdown cover  (Read 1905 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Important: Check the wording of your breakdown cover
« on: 22 August 2018, 08:55:01 pm »
I had a low-side last week, and got told by the RAC/Bennetts that the breakdown cover would not recover me in the event of an accident, non-fault or otherwise.

I went ballistic at Bennetts as I was stuck at the side of the fucking road, wear only for the sheer luck - I was half a mile from my cousins garage that I was able to ride over there and leave the bike with him while I source parts. Had I been stuck out in the fucking middle of know where I would have had to paid upwards of £200 to get some no-name cunt recovery firm to recover me back home.

Everyone I have spoken to today has pretty much also said "what the fuck"...
« Last Edit: 27 August 2018, 11:20:45 am by b1k3rdude »

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Important: Check the wording of your breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2018, 09:08:24 pm »
I jacked the RAC a couple of years ago because they wouldn't rescue bikes under 124cc.
It may of changed now, not sure but loads of lads from the C90 site left them.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2018, 09:45:44 pm »
I had the same issue with the AA recovery fifteen years ago. Sometime previously in the renewal small print, very small, they changed it to breakdown only and not as a result of accident. I only discovered this after they recovered the bike back to my home and later sent a bill for £450! On querying this I was told that if I had been insured through the AA it would have been covered. The happy ending was that my insurance company picked up this bill without any argument. My insurance was with Norwich Union rider policy that became part of Aviva and I have stayed with them ever since with recovery now added.
Needless to say I have since had nothing to do with AA and will never do so again.
I think the procedure now is if it's an accident issue then the insurance company will recover the bike, but of course that will probably effect any no claims bonus. Might only be if fully comp.  Also not a good solution if it is just minor damage that you would fix yourself at little cost.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2018, 09:51:16 pm »
If both the AA & RAC ( I've got basic breakdown cover via Bennett's) are as bad as each other who's left. Any recommendations gratefully received.Rob

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2018, 09:53:28 pm »
If both the AA & RAC ( I've got basic breakdown cover via Bennett's) are as bad as each other who's left. Any recommendations gratefully received.Rob

GEM ..... They recover after an accident.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2018, 10:58:08 am »
I had a lowside today, and got told by the RAC and then Bennetts that the breakdown cover did not cover accident, non-fault or otherwise.

Unfortunately that's what you signed up for.

Of course if the fuel pump lead had accidentally got disconnected and you then called them and told them the bike won't start...

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2018, 12:41:38 pm »
  • Unfortunately that's what you signed up for.
  • Of course if the fuel pump lead had accidentally got disconnected and you then called them and told them the bike won't start...
  • Actually no it wasnt, it dosent state anywhere on the website or on my policy docs that I have no recovery in the event of accident rather than brakedown.
  • Yes, moving forward I will simply lie, because clearly the comapny as an entity deserves no respect nor quarter.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2018, 02:32:33 pm »
I can understand the logic of RAC and AA not doing accident recovery as they provide a breakdown cover, same with recovery that comes with a new bike.

But insurance company provided recovery should include accident recovery surely?

I am with Bennetts so thanks for the heads up.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2018, 03:22:18 pm »
Bennetts and chocolate teapots spring to mind both pretty useless

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2018, 08:45:01 pm »

But insurance company provided recovery should include accident recovery surely?

You would think so and I think they do. More than that if my experience from fifteen years ago is still in place. If it is an accident  situation it is your insurance company that will recover the bike, not the breakdown cover you might have. No doubt it will count as a claim on your insurance so, as I said previously, you might want to consider loss of no-claims/increase future premiums before availing yourself of that option if it is very minor damage and you have other means of getting the bike and yourself home.
In my case the insurance company Aviva payed the bill from the AA recovery service without having been informed and given prior approval. I thought that was very good of them but in these modern times of rip off the customer things might be different.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2018, 10:22:15 pm by limax2 »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2018, 05:30:00 pm »
Thanks for the headsup. An enlightening post.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2018, 07:04:57 pm »
Here is the answer.

Breakdown insurance is for breakdowns. If you have an accident, you get the insurance barstewards to arrange the recovery.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2018, 07:17:42 pm »
I had the same issue last year when I had a little spill on a traffic island on my way to work when I rang rac to recover me ,thinking I was fully covered , I was told because it was a accident and I was not claiming on my insurance  they would  recover me but only if I paid for it at around  £85 ish +vat , I rode it home in 2nd gear slowly ,I will not use them again