Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:26 pm

Author Topic: Damaged fairing story  (Read 1544 times)

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
Damaged fairing story
« on: 21 January 2021, 08:59:25 pm »
Sooooo I get a painter to repaint my rd 350 lc2 front headlight fairing, telling him “mind these are like hens teeth, this is a good one and worth probably the thick end of 600 quid” no problem he says.
You know what’s coming........he’s totally wrecked it. Put it in an oven and forgot about it  :'( . These cowls are really hard to get , there’s little to no chance of getting another, he says he’s been looking for one but can’t find a replacement...no shit ! Says all he can do is apologise. I haven’t been to see him yet but I reckon he owes me a wedge of money now,  what do you think ?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged fairing story
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2021, 10:04:53 pm »
Yep he sure does.  Either he replaces it or gives you the cash equivalent.  His liability insurance will cover it, could be he hasn't got any cover and that's illegal if trading.  Either way, if he won't pay up small claims court. 
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2021, 10:46:49 pm »
Whats gnasher said, what a knob. Incidentally, is this the headlight fairing your referring too..?

- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBREGLASS-YAMAHA-RD-350-YPVS-NOSE-FAIRING-WITH-SCREEN/333862581705?hash=item4dbbc2b5c9:g:XgUAAOSwkxpgBslX

How much did you pay for your yours, as you will need proof of payment if a) your going to asking him to cough up and b) if you have to take it to small claims court.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 10:51:01 pm by b1k3rdude »

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2021, 07:24:10 am »
This was the original 1983 headlight cowl, that’s why I’m pissed !! You just can’t buy them anymore, the only decent ones left are attached to people’s bikes, or being hoarded in case of damage.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2021, 12:25:51 pm »
Yep he sure does.  Either he replaces it or gives you the cash equivalent.  His liability insurance will cover it, could be he hasn't got any cover and that's illegal if trading.  Either way, if he won't pay up small claims court.

The only liability insurance which is legally required is employer's (to provide workforce protection).

If he has any sense he'll have relevant insurance to indemnify him against professional errors.

I know mistakes happen, but leaving it in an oven sounds like the work of a right muppet.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2021, 01:10:24 pm »

The only liability insurance which is legally required is employer's (to provide workforce protection).

If he has any sense he'll have relevant insurance to indemnify him against professional errors.

I know mistakes happen, but leaving it in an oven sounds like the work of a right muppet.

Yes true, got confused with employers insurance.   Personally I've always had liability insurance that protects me and covers my work against mistakes or damage I may cause.  However he's still liable for his work and any damaged he causes, by not having the correct level of insurance he's open to losing his assets and/or having judgments against him.  This is were UK law is an lacking, as those who choose not to insurance themselves with mechanics insurance or equivalent which provides cover for mistakes/damage etc and leaves the customer exposed.  Moral of the story ask for proof of insurance before allowing them to work on your property.       

As you say he's a muppet, if he doesn't replace or pay, name and shame so others don't fall into the same trap.   

Later

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2021, 01:35:37 pm »

Yes true, got confused with employers insurance.   Personally I've always had liability insurance that protects me and covers my work against mistakes or damage I may cause.  However he's still liable for his work and any damaged he causes, by not having the correct level of insurance he's open to losing his assets and/or having judgments against him.  This is were UK law is an lacking, as those who choose not to insurance themselves with mechanics insurance or equivalent which provides cover for mistakes/damage etc and leaves the customer exposed.  Moral of the story ask for proof of insurance before allowing them to work on your property.       

As you say he's a muppet, if he doesn't replace or pay, name and shame so others don't fall into the same trap.   

I think there was a story about 5 or 6 years ago (probably longer given memory compression) of a woman with a teashop. A customer got injured and sued her - no public liability. Lost everything: business, house, the lot. The thing i remember was that insurance would have cost her about £250/year tops. To run an sort of business without protection from liability seems silly to anyone with a modicum of common sense.

As has been said get a value - if they are now rare and expensive, get proof and go for a small claim if the fairing-melter doesnt resolve it promptly. 6 weeks at most and then letter-before-action.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2021, 01:44:33 pm »
This was the original 1983 headlight cowl, that’s why I’m pissed !! You just can’t buy them anymore, the only decent ones left are attached to people’s bikes, or being hoarded in case of damage.
That FG one I found looks of a similar year/caliber.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2021, 02:06:30 pm »
I think there was a story about 5 or 6 years ago (probably longer given memory compression) of a woman with a teashop. A customer got injured and sued her - no public liability. Lost everything: business, house, the lot. The thing i remember was that insurance would have cost her about £250/year tops. To run an sort of business without protection from liability seems silly to anyone with a modicum of common sense.

I know of others who are in the trade who've blown motors even burt bikes while working on them, no insurance.  The other problem with situations where traders don't have cover and aren't in a position to pay or cover small claims and court judgements etc.  The owners lose and at their cost have to replace motors/parts or lost their bikes, if the knobs don't have assets or money, you can't get blood out of a stone. 

I'm aware of a few who've got judgments against them and are still trading, that something that happens in the car trade a lot  :evil
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2021, 02:37:41 pm »
That FG one I found looks of a similar year/caliber.

The firings and belly pans aren't that hard to get hold of, that said they're not original or painted etc
http://https://www.jap4performance.com/product/yamaha-rd250-350-pro-nose-fairing-kit/

or

https://yambits.co.uk/rd250lc-pro-cockpit-fairing-p-66209.html
Later

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2021, 03:46:06 pm »
What a foccin' nightmare!! was the bloke a car painter? it's just that sometimes they're ignorant to bike plastics,I had a Pan euro fairing painted once and the bloke put some right weird paint on which reacted to the bike paint and he had to use a stripper to take it off to get it right and w as blaming me for not saying about bike plastics!! I didn't have a fuckin' clue and when I got it back it didn't look right at all and he charged me a fair few bob for it! Wish I'd been a hard case or had a bit more about me,I wouldn't have paid him. :foc
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.