Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:07 am

Author Topic: Camping in the Black Forest, anybody been?  (Read 5233 times)

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
Camping in the Black Forest, anybody been?
« on: 06 January 2018, 09:50:42 pm »
11 of us are going off to Europe on the bikes as usual in July. We have a choice dependent on the weather. Its either camping in the black forest or if the weather is crap in Germany, down to my place (again) near to Nevers in France.

Now I am a little worried about the availability of camp sites which could accommodate us (we will need about 5 pitches together) without causing problems with other campers, families and young kids trying to sleep at 9pm when 11 of us are sitting around having a laugh and drinking beer.

I have had a look on the net for campsites in the Black Forest and all the ones ive found have marked off pitches and I reckon they would be either fully booked or only have a few scattered pitches available by the time we get there in the middle of summer. We cant book up early because we wont know where we will be going until about 3 days before we leave the mainland for Europe.

Has anybody been to the Black Forest around the B500 road area (yes I know its quite long) who has any info about campsites which would be more suited to our requirements?

Thanks.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
Re: Camping in the Black Forest, anybody been?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2018, 11:25:04 am »
No, but I hear that the Gateaux is nice.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2018, 11:45:14 am »
Billy,
I hope you get some replies to your post. I'll be doing the B500 in early July after the Spa Classic. I had considered doing it on the way home from last years Bol, but realised a longer stay than I had time for was necessary. I hadn't considered any difficulty finding local camping until you raised the point. However they'll only be 2 or 3 of us, so hopefully won't be such a problem.
Enjoy your trip. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2018, 08:31:47 pm »
Blinkin eck, the Black Forest will be alive with you Foccers. I'll have to keep an eye out when I am there - I'm not camping though. And I've never been there either so I am absolutely no help at all.
Just keep an eye out for a blue one...

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2018, 08:04:47 am »
I'd love to have the luxury of being able to keep an eye out for you, but unfortunately I will be guiding 10 hung over idiots with no sense of direction through a place I've never been to with only a map for guidance.

Same as usual then!!!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2018, 10:02:56 am »
Bit like number 12 buses. You wait in the Black Forest for ages, then 3 come along at once!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2018, 11:53:57 am »
Sorry, no idea about camp sites, but if you've got a couple of days there, make sure you explore roads other than the B500 too. There are some crackers.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2018, 12:05:37 pm »
I'd love to have the luxury of being able to keep an eye out for you, but unfortunately I will be guiding 10 hung over idiots with no sense of direction through a place I've never been to with only a map for guidance.

Same as usual then!!!

You sound like exactly the person we've been looking for, fancy leading all future LOFO ride outs?
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
OK I'll bite, what's LOFO? 

Whatever it is the answer is no I'm afraid, my missus gives me so much grief because I'm more interested in organising and going on holiday with the lads than I am arranging stuff with her and the kids.

Well DUH!!!!!!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2018, 06:42:59 pm »
Don't worry Billy, it's nothing bad. I totally get the "bags of enthusiasm arranging a bike trip" as opposed to any domestic trips. :lol
LOndon Fazer Owners(LOFO)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2018, 09:39:05 pm »
Relative to France there are fewer campsites in Baden Wurttemburg and they do get very busy in August - particularly in the south of the BF the closer you are to Freiburg, Titisee, Todtnau, Mustertal and the Feldberg.

I'd do a search and see if you can book a site online.

Dont forget whilst down there to do the Kandel, the Glottertal and the Route De Ballon - all as nice as the B500. I also like the road from Todtnau to the frontier with CH. A good run is Titisee over Feldbergpass onto Basel then up the Route de Ballon over to Colmar and back to Titisee.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2018, 11:36:35 pm »
Relative to France there are fewer campsites in Baden Wurttemburg and they do get very busy in August - particularly in the south of the BF the closer you are to Freiburg, Titisee, Todtnau, Mustertal and the Feldberg.

Dont forget whilst down there to do the Kandel, the Glottertal and the Route De Ballon - all as nice as the B500. I also like the road from Todtnau to the frontier with CH. A good run is Titisee over Feldbergpass onto Basel then up the Route de Ballon over to Colmar and back to Titisee.

The problem is that we wont know where we are going until about the Wednesday before we go on the Saturday. So we cant book in advance.

None of us like camping in the rain so if the weather is going to be "British" in Germany or even in France too, we will be going to my place near Nevers. At least then we will be able to get the gazebos out and drink beer under cover on the patio and have all the facilities of a house to take the sting out of going on ride outs in shite weather.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2018, 07:19:33 pm »

The problem is that we wont know where we are going until about the Wednesday before we go on the Saturday. So we cant book in advance.

None of us like camping in the rain so if the weather is going to be "British" in Germany or even in France too, we will be going to my place near Nevers. At least then we will be able to get the gazebos out and drink beer under cover on the patio and have all the facilities of a house to take the sting out of going on ride outs in shite weather.

Breisgau is the sunniest place in Germany, I've camped there frequently and cant remember it raining - the Aargau (in Swabian Bavaria) on the other hand....

knoxy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2018, 11:29:52 am »
Another vote for Tittisee here! although its 12 years since i last went there. A few of us off this site went several times, used to be a fab restaurant there.

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2018, 08:49:08 pm »
oppenau.
cracking roads in and out. bike shop there.
there is a b&b on the outskirts of town where we stopped and it worked out at €10 ea a night sharing a room.
we also had secure parking in their garage.
forget where it is but europe's longest luge run is nearby. buy the multi ticket cos its aces. just googled, titisee.
if the locals start flashing at you as you're making progress 'slow the foc down' as the local polizei have well hidden speed traps.
drop down to freiburg on the autobahn. hit the limiter in top on my bmw slipstreaming a zx9............happy days

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 April 2018, 09:04:35 pm »
Karl & Maria Oberle, Jahnstr.10, 77728 Oppenau Tel. 078042117

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2018, 09:30:19 pm »
oppenau.
cracking roads in and out.

Was it you who advised me of that detour before I went? It was indeed well worth it!  :thumbup

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Hi Nick, you out of hibernation again  :lol :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2018, 09:50:47 pm »
Eh? What? Oh, sorry, thought I was just dreaming  :lol

:z 

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2018, 08:24:45 pm »
Wow, Nicks still alive :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2018, 02:45:03 pm »
I found the B500 remarkably overrated  and swarming with police when I went.
Evidently I have nothing of value to add to this conversation other than, have you considered the Moselle or Rheine valleys instead? Loads of good roads, towns and campsites to stop at along the way, plenty of beer, wine and culture to see along the way and very few coppers. :-)
« Last Edit: 13 April 2018, 02:51:30 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2018, 09:16:52 am »
I found the B500 remarkably overrated  and swarming with police when I went.
Evidently I have nothing of value to add to this conversation other than, have you considered the Moselle or Rheine valleys instead? Loads of good roads, towns and campsites to stop at along the way, plenty of beer, wine and culture to see along the way and very few coppers. :-)

:pokefun  Good roads? That bridge in the bottom pic looks a bit dodgy, even for a  :faz
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2018, 08:57:17 am »
Yes, amazing construction. It was more a photo of the 'campsites' tonnes of space. People just seem to park up on the grass along side the banks of the River Moselle. It's nice around there!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-