Date: 06-05-24  Time: 20:30 pm

Author Topic: Caliper stripping  (Read 2082 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Caliper stripping
« on: 21 February 2017, 05:20:48 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best thing to strip paint from my rear caliper? I'm planning on repainting it so want as much off as possible without damaging it.
I'm planning to do a full rebuild with new bleed nipples, braided hoses etc can't stand the crap job the last owner has done

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Caliper stripping
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2017, 06:31:26 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best thing to strip paint from my rear caliper? I'm planning on repainting it so want as much off as possible without damaging it.
I'm planning to do a full rebuild with new bleed nipples, braided hoses etc can't stand the crap job the last owner has done

if you are rebuilding totally (ie spliting the halves and new seals) I'd just leave it to stew in nitromors.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2017, 06:48:46 pm »

if you are rebuilding totally (ie spliting the halves and new seals) I'd just leave it to stew in nitromors.

Yeah I'm planning on completely stripping it and replacing the seals but keeping the piston. I'll have to look that stuff up, never heard of it haha

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2017, 08:34:50 am »

I sent my Honda calipers to 'Triple S' powder coaters and they did a fantastic job of powder coating them, seriously impressive. Every edge was crsip and clean and every thread was perfect when they came back. The powder was even and smooth.

If you want to paint them yourself then I would suggest leaving the old pistons in place and finding a local bead blaster and asking them to remove the paint. For the sake of a tenner or so and a couple of minutes per caliper I don't think it's worth chemical stripping with all the mess and grief at home.
is it clean enough?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2017, 08:43:07 am »

I sent my Honda calipers to 'Triple S' powder coaters and they did a fantastic job of powder coating them, seriously impressive. Every edge was crsip and clean and every thread was perfect when they came back. The powder was even and smooth.

If you want to paint them yourself then I would suggest leaving the old pistons in place and finding a local bead blaster and asking them to remove the paint. For the sake of a tenner or so and a couple of minutes per caliper I don't think it's worth chemical stripping with all the mess and grief at home.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of having a shop strip them, it's a good idea and to be honest would work out about the same price as buying the stripping stuff.

As for powder coating, I did that to my last bikes rear caliper and it ruined it. The company i used coated the inside of it too and it never went back together properly so that's kind of put me off going that route again.
I am looking into other types of coating though. I'd love some kind of anodised look 🤔🤔

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2017, 01:11:00 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of having a shop strip them, it's a good idea and to be honest would work out about the same price as buying the stripping stuff.

As for powder coating, I did that to my last bikes rear caliper and it ruined it. The company i used coated the inside of it too and it never went back together properly so that's kind of put me off going that route again.
I am looking into other types of coating though. I'd love some kind of anodised look 🤔🤔

Look up powerhouse ,
http://www.powerhouse.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-refurbishment-service.php

They did my 600 calipers and were top service , they also can re colour the calipers if you want as well

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2017, 02:10:26 pm »
Thanks graham that's quite tempting at that price 🤔🤔

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2017, 03:05:46 pm »
my 600 ones came back like new and quick turnaround too  :)  I think there are a few links on the website to articles in bike mags like practical sports bikes on their work

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2017, 03:59:10 pm »
Yeah I've just gave them a ring, only £62!! And that's for it stripped, re coloured, new seals and fully serviced! Absolute bargain. Needless to say I'm gonna save myself the hassle and get it sent off 🖒😆

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
Excellent 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2017, 07:50:43 pm »
What a no brainer especially considering what's involved.Absolute bargain.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.