Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: 99 FZS 600 - Left hand switchgear wobble  (Read 1214 times)

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
99 FZS 600 - Left hand switchgear wobble
« on: 08 September 2020, 09:48:52 pm »
Hi,

So I've not had the FZS 600 all that long but I've noticed a wobble on the L/H switchgear that means it can be rotated backwards and forwards to the point that putting the choke on single handily means it can, but not always, move (in as much as I now subconsciously hold the switchgear a little when moving the lever -- not a big deal, just an example).

It doesn't move a whole bunch during a ride, so isn't a big issue, but is this common?

I've replaced the two screws (as the heads on the ones I had were worn) and there as tight as they go and so there's no issue on that front. Usually there's a locating pin that goes into the bars on most bikes, but I've not looked / split the switchgear just so I don't end up looking for any springs that may pop out etc.  :lol

So.. does yours move, or is the pin in mine probably not located properly or broken (I realise I'll have to look, if suggested)?

Figured I'd ask,
Thanks.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 99 FZS 600 - Left hand switchgear wobble
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2020, 10:40:07 pm »
If it’s got non standard bars then some people cut off the locating tab rather than drill the new bars. Not a route I’d take myself!

But you might need to remove the switch gear and wrap some electrical tape round the bar which should hold it.

NJD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2020, 11:03:47 pm »
The bars look to be standard comparing photo's I have of my bike and Fowlers parts diagram.

Suspect it may be a worn or damaged locating pin. Just found a photo in the service manual of how to install (so I get an idea of what this one looks like inside before removing -- ie no parts that will pop out at me) so will remove screws and inspect, and maybe try the tape, tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2020, 08:16:54 pm »
ha ha i knew i did a video somewhere - if your runng standards then dunno if it will help

gfurm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2020, 11:48:44 am »
Had the same issue. It was broken locating pin. I drilled small pilot hole in the stub that was left over, put a small nail in it and superglued small strip of plastic around it. Not moved since.
Greg