Date: 17-05-24  Time: 07:06 am

Author Topic: What double bubble.  (Read 2625 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
What double bubble.
« on: 10 August 2016, 01:47:01 pm »
Would there be much difference in the build quality, size and efficiency of the screens made by Fabbri,Puig and Zero Gravity and any other make still in production, for a Gen1.Your wealth of information is appreciated as always.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: What double bubble.
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2016, 06:14:17 am »
No discernible difference in quality really. 

How they work for you is an entirely different matter.  So dependent on your height and build.  What works great for me might be really annoying for you. 

Best I can suggest is you give us some idea of your height etc and see what owners of a similar build have settled on. :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2016, 12:46:59 pm »
Thanks Mike,
Going to take a punt on a Zero Gravity. Heightwise I'm a touch under 6 ft.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2016, 02:18:43 pm »
Can't help you personally then, Robbo, as I'm 5' 6" in my dancing shoes. :)

ZG screens are very well made and - I think - a shade taller than most.  Hopefully it will give you decent protection and no helmet buffet.

Mike

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2016, 04:20:49 pm »
Hi Mike,
You Ivanised me back in May at your pals house.. Mine was the one that had the dodgy spark plug drama. I've noticed so many Gen 1's using a double bubble, so I thought I'd give one a try. Don't forget to keep me in mind for your shock if/when you decide to sell it.

Hope all's well with you.

Robbo.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2016, 09:31:45 pm »
Your name is on the list for first refusal on the shock still, Robbo. :) 

Unfortunately, I've not been able to make the trip to the UK in the motorhome as originally planned, so all the parts I have for sale from my bike are still boxed in my garage while I wait for a chance to make the journey.  That might not be until next year now, though. :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2016, 08:11:26 am »
That's ok Mike, no rush. Sorry your trip earlier in the year didn't work out.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2016, 04:57:37 pm »
They say the surest way to make the gods laugh is to tell them your plans.  Certainly true in our case this year.  Doh! :)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2016, 09:07:18 pm »
Are you able to try one before making a desicion? The ZG was the noisiest screen (for me) I tried on the Gen1 by a long way - and I pretty much tried them all. But then I am 6'4"
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2016, 09:31:49 pm »
Hi Seangee,
I can see from the searches I did that alternative screens are a complete minefield.I'll try the ZG and possibly consider an MRA Vario attachment for long journeys. Some have even found a change of crash helmet has made all the difference,although I wouldn't consider going to that extreme seeing as my Arai's new.Hopefully me being shorter the ZG could be ok.Thanks for your input though.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2016, 11:49:59 pm »
Fabbri makes just about the biggest DB screen.

I had the ZG screen with the side wings, they fouled the handle bars at full lock (renthal 758 fitted) and was by far the noisiest screen I have ever tried. I am 5'10" BTW.

If you never go above 85mph for long periods then the small street fighter screen from Yamaha (or a cut down original) is the best for noise and buffeting.

For me the best combination is a Puig DB with an X-Screen adjustable blade. ( i have also tried most of the screens available). With the blade fully up i could cruise at 95-100 mph without buffeting but with some noise. With the blade down but angled out it is good for sub 80 mph stuff.

Tech 7 screen, bit noisy and shakes my head so much above 110 I couldn't see where I was going. (otherwise not too bad)

MRA vairio scren, noisy above 50 mph and caused head shaking above about 80 mph. Tried it with blade upside down with a little improvement.

Zero Gravity, worst screen I tried...for me.

I have also tried the skidmarx DB and powerbronze DB, both caused me lots of noise and buffeting.

Standard screen airflow hit me in upper chest and then the air flow went up the inside of my helmet causing my eyes to water.

I also have an American touring screen which I have only used once as it is so big it doesn't allow any air into my vented jacket. Completely buffeting free at over 100 mph but does get a bit noisy from 110 mph up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2016, 07:49:12 am »
Thanks Tmation,
I remember reading about your Puig setup before, but every site I've found that's a stockist says they're out of stock for FZS1000, as would have got one otherwise. Looks like I'll have a problem with the ZG as I too have 758's with GYTR lower mounts. I suppose they are all a gamble until you hit on the right combination. Did you ever try the Fabbri ?.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2016, 10:52:50 am »
No discernible difference in quality really. 

How they work for you is an entirely different matter.  So dependent on your height and build.  What works great for me might be really annoying for you. 

Best I can suggest is you give us some idea of your height etc and see what owners of a similar build have settled on. :)

Mike is right, I've borrowed 3 different screens to try & find what works for me but experiences of other riders of similar height is a good starting point.
Build & strength makes a difference as well, as do any other issues....for example I'm a 6'2" wimpy weakling with chronic neck problems & trying to find a suitable screen is proving nigh on impossible!  :\

Fantastic & useful info from Tmation though, I might well try that Puig screen & deflector!  :)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2016, 03:11:08 pm »
Robbo,

I have not tried a Fabbri as I have never been able to find one when I was looking. There is a Gen 1 for sale on here that has one fitted I believe. Most people who have used them on the Gen 1 rate them.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=20778.0

Andy W,

If you don't want any buffeting or pressure on your helmet you should try a National Cycle Touring screen.

I have one for sale that has only been used for one ride  :) [size=78%]. (I would take £80 plus postage)[/size]

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=20614.0