Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:48 pm

Author Topic: My bike's got the shivers  (Read 2759 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
My bike's got the shivers
« on: 09 September 2016, 06:19:22 am »
Gonna post my issue on here for the wider audience to see if anyone can pinpoint or recognise my bikes problem.

Last couple of weeks my 600 has been suffering from a very mild "shivering" effect at lower revs, and i'm not entirely sure what to do about it or what's causing it?
It's nothing major, yet, but it is there, which means it's bugging the hell out of me.
And it's not a stutter, or a hiccup like you would get with an air leak, but similar to the noise a person would make when they are very cold and shivering, but as stated it's only a mild effect.

It mainly happens at 2000rpm or below, and is most noticeable at under 20mph, so slow speed riding, which is why it's annoying me because I ride in traffic a lot. Above either the bike runs as sweet as a nut.

Otherwise the bike is mechanically sound and looked after.
Tickover is rock solid, needle doesn't move from 1200rpm, no hunting or anything.
Approaching 49,000 miles, mainly used for commuting.
Recent brand new TPS, in correct position at 5000rpm.
New battery a few months ago, and bike starts first time on the button, no choke needed at all.
K&N air filter cleaned and re-oiled a few weeks ago.
Oil changed within last couple of months, and cooling system is all fine and air tight.
NGK spark plug caps.
Carbs balanced by me 3 days ago, all totally level, which helped a lot but not got totally rid of it.
Quill aftermarket end can, been on there for years though, so totally ruled out.
If i pull the throttle back it runs perfectly, no coughing spluttering or anything, absolutely fine with smooth and efficient delivery of power.
Not changed plugs for a while, but i don't do high mileage at all, so although i don't actually think they need replacing i never jotted down when i last changed them, so i've ordered some new NGK Iridium plugs anyway to rule them out just in case.

So, anyone got any ideas at all, 'cos i'm a little bit stumped to be honest?
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 08:49:04 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: My bike's got the shivers
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2016, 08:17:03 am »
Gonna post my issue on here for the wider audience to see if anyone can pinpoint or recognise my bikes problem.

Last couple of weeks my 600 has been suffering from a very mild "shivering" effect at lower revs, and i'm not entirely sure what to do about it or what's causing it?
It's nothing major, yet, but it is there, which means it's bugging the hell out of me.
And it's not a stutter, or a hiccup like you would get with an air leak, but similar to the noise a person would make when they are very cold and shivering, but as stated it's only a mild effect.

Otherwise the bike is mechanically sound and looked after.
Tickover is rock solid, needle doesn't move from 1200rpm, no hunting or anything.
Approaching 49,000 miles, mainly used for commuting.
Recent brand new TPS, in correct position at 5000rpm.
New battery a few months ago, and bike starts first time on the button, no choke needed at all.
K&N air filter cleaned and re-oiled a few weeks ago.
Oil changed within last couple of months, and cooling system is all fine and air tight.
NGK spark plug caps.
Carbs balanced by me 3 days ago, all totally level, which helped a lot but not got totally rid of it.
Quill aftermarket end can, been on there for years though, so totally ruled out.
Mainly happens under 3000rpm, if i pull the throttle back it runs perfectly, no coughing spluttering or anything, absolutely fine with smooth and efficient delivery of power.
Not changed plugs for a while, but i don't do high mileage at all, so although i don't actually think they need replacing i never jotted down when i last changed them, so i've ordered some new NGK Iridium plugs anyway to rule them out just in case.

So, anyone got any ideas at all, 'cos i'm a little bit stumped to be honest?

It must be you then - put your vest on.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2016, 10:00:36 am »
All I can think of is that it's perhaps due to backlash in the drivetrain: cumulative slop due to clutch, gearbox chain and cush drive.
Does it clear if you drag the back brake slightly?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2016, 10:43:21 am »
All I can think of is that it's perhaps due to backlash in the drivetrain: cumulative slop due to clutch, gearbox chain and cush drive.
Does it clear if you drag the back brake slightly?

I know exactly what you mean, but no it's  not that.
It's a similar feeling i used to get when my TPS was not in the correct position, but i got wise to that so used to know how the bike behaved and when it would need adjusting.
But i now have a brand new TPS and carbs are now properly levelled out so it can't be that any more, and as said my air filter is clean as well.

Was thinking maybe a clogged jet but it's used at least 5 days a week, and it also ticks over beautifully.

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
changed garages lately? or make of fuel?
have you drained the bowls?
my momma always says, stupid is as stupid does.
that's all i gotta say about that

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2016, 01:22:52 pm »
changed garages lately? or make of fuel?
have you drained the bowls?

I have as it happens!!!

Been using 99 ron fuel because i've been trying a different route home for a change of scenery.
Normally use the 97 stuff from a garage near my work.

That's a start.  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2016, 11:10:53 pm »
Just had a brain fart.

If i had a clogged fuel filter would that affect the running of the bike at lower revs, even though the tickover is okay?

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2016, 08:37:38 am by darrsi »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
Fuel filters only a fiver.

What do you mean shivers?

Like sometimes when you accelerate on the motorway and it feels like you've found a dead spot in the rev range?

Or does your bike physically shiver? In which case does it also make a noise like "brrrrrrrr".   :lol
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2016, 12:12:00 pm »
Restricting fuel flow would affect high speed performance long before it would be noticeable at low revs.
I'll go with Toady's theory, my FZS600 is less happy when fed higher octane petrol.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2016, 01:12:00 pm »
Have you checked the chain to ensure correct tension, lube and that none of the links are siezed or stiff??

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2016, 04:06:24 pm »
Have you checked the chain to ensure correct tension, lube and that none of the links are siezed or stiff??

Chain's fine, stiff links would be felt through the footpeg, but it's nothing to do with that anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
Restricting fuel flow would affect high speed performance long before it would be noticeable at low revs.
I'll go with Toady's theory, my FZS600 is less happy when fed higher octane petrol.

I'll run the tank dry then refill with 97 and see if it improves anything at all, i've never been keen on the 95 fuel in comparison.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2016, 04:18:58 pm »
Fuel filters only a fiver.

What do you mean shivers?

Like sometimes when you accelerate on the motorway and it feels like you've found a dead spot in the rev range?

Or does your bike physically shiver? In which case does it also make a noise like "brrrrrrrr".   :lol

As said above, it makes the noise and feeling that a person would make when they are cold, or shivering.

As stupid as this video is, she does actually sound a bit like my bike, but not as extreme obviously.  :lol
Then it will go away past 2000rpm.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2016, 04:20:27 pm »
I've ordered a fuel filter anyway by the way just so i can rule it out.  :thumbup