Date: 28-04-24  Time: 17:52 pm

Author Topic: HOW FAR CAN YOU GO ON FLAT REAR TYRE  (Read 1987 times)

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
HOW FAR CAN YOU GO ON FLAT REAR TYRE
« on: 29 September 2022, 01:44:22 pm »
Just a wee share. Finished work about half 2 in morning. Went to bike and flat rear,, punctured  :'( . Bit of pulling faces ,, 18 miles to home. Mixture of "A" and "B" roads , couple of junctions and roundabouts. Will it stay on rim  :rolleyes ,, time to try.
 :)  and with a wee wibble and wobble  :lol and trying to go in as straight a line as possible ,, max speed around 25mph , made it home and still on the rim .  :) . Michelin Pilot 4,,, run flat tyres ,, YEP.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: HOW FAR CAN YOU GO ON FLAT REAR TYRE
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2022, 05:38:38 pm »
Fu***d it now though - no chance of a repair.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2022, 07:56:24 pm »
I just changed my rear PR4 as it had a leaking patch plug in it and as I had used the green slime stuff I knew it wouldn't be repaired again so I just put up with it leaking, especially in winter. I had an electric pump in the top box so it wasn't a massive deal.
But some days it would go really low, like around the 18psi mark, and a normal tyre would chuck the bike all over the place, but as mentioned the PR4 did stay rigid so I wouldn't always notice immediately.
Keep a puncture repair kit, green Slime and the brilliant electric pump in the bike at all times, they've saved me a couple of times now.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2022, 07:58:51 pm »
I always carry a "get you home" Crafty Plugger kit and an electric pump with me.

It was useful last month when I was on holiday in Croyde and had a flat and needed to get to Barnstaple (about 10 miles) to get it repaired.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2022, 12:22:26 am »
I rode 6miles the other morning with 15psi  unfortunately by ciggylighter pump has packed up so decided to ride to a fuel station before using crafty plugger. 
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2022, 06:20:05 am »

I rode 6miles the other morning with 15psi  unfortunately by ciggylighter pump has packed up so decided to ride to a fuel station before using crafty plugger.

Get one of these, they really are the business. Very well made and compact.

Make sure it is this particular version, as it comes with crocodile clips for your battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=PQCH2RPN5WA8&keywords=Airman+electric+pump&qid=1664515053&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=airman+electric+pump%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-17
« Last Edit: 30 September 2022, 06:21:25 am by darrsi »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2022, 10:39:20 am »
+1 for the Airman
 This pump is supplied with several makes of cars that don't come with a spare tyre.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2022, 12:55:46 pm »
Make sure it is this particular version, as it comes with crocodile clips for your battery.

I run mine off the Optimate charging lead because on the FZ6 the battery is under the tank, so I don't have to start dismantling the bike if I need to use it!

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2022, 02:11:25 pm »
Yep, ive got one of these wee pumps , but had taken it out for something and didnt put it back. :rolleyes . Nice wee nick dead centre of tyre, nothing in it. Work "car park", term used lightly as its only a piece of waist ground has caused a few cars to have flats, but work wont do anything about it.
Havent take tyre of yet , will have to wait till weekend and see what its like. Just going for new tyre as this one does have a wee flat spot, so new one run in for winter.
But definetly one for shed wall as it got me home,,, with wee wibble and wobble. :) :lol .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2022, 04:55:35 pm »

I run mine off the Optimate charging lead because on the FZ6 the battery is under the tank, so I don't have to start dismantling the bike if I need to use it!

We all have the FZS 600 in this section Graham, luckily  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2022, 04:59:15 pm »

What I meant was that on Amazon they also sell the same Airman for about £6 less but without all the extra connectors, so some people might think they've found a bargain but won't actually have the crocodile clips supplied with it.  :thumbup

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2022, 06:57:23 am »

Install a ciggy lighter under the seat

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2022, 07:02:29 am »

What I meant was that on Amazon they also sell the same Airman for about £6 less but without all the extra connectors, so some people might think they've found a bargain but won't actually have the crocodile clips supplied with it.  :thumbup

Is £6 for a couple of crocodile clips a bargain?  Thanks for the pump recommendation though  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2022, 11:06:59 am »

Is £6 for a couple of crocodile clips a bargain?  Thanks for the pump recommendation though  :)

The other end is a a male/female bullet connector joint. Bit of a custom job.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2022, 03:07:06 pm »
Get one of these, they really are the business. Very well made and compact.Make sure it is this particular version, as it comes with crocodile clips for your battery.https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=PQCH2RPN5WA8&keywords=Airman+electric+pump&qid=1664515053&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=airman+electric+pump%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-17

Just had one of these delivered today (based on your recommendations) and it's great. Like that the valve adapter is screw on. My previous one was clamp on, and the rubber seal eventually gave way, meaning more air was coming out than going in!

:thumbup
« Last Edit: 04 October 2022, 03:08:33 pm by mtread »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2022, 04:52:09 pm »
Get one of these, they really are the business. Very well made and compact.Make sure it is this particular version, as it comes with crocodile clips for your battery.https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=PQCH2RPN5WA8&keywords=Airman+electric+pump&qid=1664515053&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=airman+electric+pump%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-17

Just had one of these delivered today (based on your recommendations) and it's great. Like that the valve adapter is screw on. My previous one was clamp on, and the rubber seal eventually gave way, meaning more air was coming out than going in!

:thumbup

I tried a couple before this one and the 2nd one shook itself to bits.
So I did a search on the best ones out there and this one popped up.
It's very quick and efficient too at pumping air, which they all should be but clearly are not. Nice and compact too.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2022, 04:58:37 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Adventure-Compressor-Cigarette-Connectivity/dp/B07BL1D5YZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=PQCH2RPN5WA8&keywords=Airman+electric+pump&qid=1664515053&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjU5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=airman+electric+pump%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-17
One word of warning. The pump draws quite a lot of current. If you're connecting to an Optimate or another permanent lead, it needs to be protected by a 10 amp fuse or above. Two 5 amps blown this afternoon....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2022, 06:45:15 pm »
One word of warning. The pump draws quite a lot of current. If you're connecting to an Optimate or another permanent lead, it needs to be protected by a 10 amp fuse or above. Two 5 amps blown this afternoon....

You have the engine switched on when using it?
Are you not connecting it to the battery with the crocodile clips?
« Last Edit: 11 October 2022, 06:46:51 pm by darrsi »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2022, 07:05:16 pm »
Yes crocodile clips no problem, but a permanent Optimate lead (on all my bikes) saves removing the seat. And Optimate leads have an in-line 5 amps fuse = pop. Replace it with a 10 amp fuse = brrrrr

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 October 2022, 06:16:37 am »
Yes crocodile clips no problem, but a permanent Optimate lead (on all my bikes) saves removing the seat. And Optimate leads have an in-line 5 amps fuse = pop. Replace it with a 10 amp fuse = brrrrr

Oh i see, it's not something i've ever used so not familiar with it. Handy to know though.
Are you risking anything with the Optimate when charging though, with the higher fuse?
And out of curiosity where does the lead sit for easy access?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 October 2022, 10:44:19 am »
Oh i see, it's not something i've ever used so not familiar with it. Handy to know though.Are you risking anything with the Optimate when charging though, with the higher fuse?And out of curiosity where does the lead sit for easy access?

Given the Optimate self regulates the amount of current it uses to put through, I'm guessing upping from 5 to 10 won't be an issue. But I'm no electrician.
The only issue might be a short across the connector terminals, but again I'm hoping a 10a is sufficient.
On the Fazer it's near the headstock, protected by a cap. Next to the same type of connectors for the heated grips

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 October 2022, 04:10:29 pm »
I’ll bear in mind the possible 10 amp fuse requirement. I’ve used my Airman on maybe 6 occasions using the Optimate lead with no blown fuses however. I have had the engine running on each occasion, not that that should make any difference. Just my paranoia regarding not flattening the battery. On my thou. the lead is clipped to the rear brake hose close to the master cylinder.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2022, 05:25:12 am »
I’ll bear in mind the possible 10 amp fuse requirement. I’ve used my Airman on maybe 6 occasions using the Optimate lead with no blown fuses however. I have had the engine running on each occasion, not that that should make any difference. Just my paranoia regarding not flattening the battery. On my thou. the lead is clipped to the rear brake hose close to the master cylinder.

Makes total sense to me to just let the engine tickover when using the pump.
When i get a chance and another pair of hands to help i'll find out what the Airman uses when it's switched on and add it to the battery voltage readings link.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2022, 12:31:21 pm »
Makes total sense to me to just let the engine tickover when using the pump.When i get a chance and another pair of hands to help i'll find out what the Airman uses when it's switched on and add it to the battery voltage readings link.

Just checked and found that the Airman also has its own inline 10 amp fuse. Should have spotted that first  :rolleyes
My Optimate lead is at the headstock on the Fazer because I occasionally used it to power a Tomtom.
My Tiger has a permanent satnav connection, so like Robbo, the Optimate/Airman lead is more safely attached to the rear master cylinder, out of the way.