Date: 11-05-24  Time: 15:54 pm

Author Topic: bar muffs  (Read 1989 times)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
bar muffs
« on: 26 October 2015, 08:35:28 pm »
Bar muffs, do they work or are they more hassle for the bit you gain? Last winter I bought some (cheap) heated gloves that run off 3 x aa batteries, although I bid get good rechargable batteries, they have helped a bit and was wondering if muffs would improve things? My thinking was that it would be better than heated grips as I have more than one bike and didn't want to clutter the bike up.
I only ride for fun but do like to ride all year round.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: bar muffs
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2015, 09:11:15 pm »
definitely muffs work better than any other solution. Muffs stop the wind and the rain too. Means you can have any gloves and it feels warm and cosy like real muffs  :lol

Cheap ones the wind may push them in speed and they fold push on your brake or clutch lever - scary. Like mines Oxford. Some guys say Tucano Urbano never fold.

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2015, 10:06:50 pm »
definitely muffs work better than any other solution. Muffs stop the wind and the rain too. Means you can have any gloves and it feels warm and cosy like real muffs  :lol

Cheap ones the wind may push them in speed and they fold push on your brake or clutch lever - scary. Like mines Oxford. Some guys say Tucano Urbano never fold.

Definitely don't fold  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2015, 10:46:29 pm »
When I was way younger and a courier I used to ride a Honda VT500. On Friday afternoons after the last job I would blat home back to the south coast. The little Honda would hit 112mph flat out and the throttle was always well and truly pinned for most of the ride home. There was this one time in the middle of winter and I was on the A3 north of Guildford and going for it as usual and I felt the rev limiter cutting in. As a sympathetic rider I eased of and the revs would drop down. A minute later and going flat out again I noticed the revs keep flipping past the red line. The muffs were collapsing onto the clutch lever. Once home I cut up a wire coat hanger to make a frame inside the muff. Sorted. This lasted until I wrote the bike off 6 months later.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2015, 08:48:49 am »
I did what fireblake did with a coathanger . Used the same muffs for the last 13 years and they've been fantastic. Warm, dry hands in the winter whilst wearing summer gloves. Fantastic bit of kit if you fit them properly!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2015, 11:29:37 pm »
I did what fireblake did with a coathanger . Used the same muffs for the last 13 years and they've been fantastic. Warm, dry hands in the winter whilst wearing summer gloves. Fantastic bit of kit if you fit them properly!
What Muffs are you using Steve. I'm struggling to get mine to fit over the brake reservoir
Oh and Happy Birthday
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2015, 01:35:35 am »
Saw these last week.
Bloody amazing that even on a BMW R1200GS that comes with handguards and heated grips, this rider still put muffs on it :b
Mind you, it was in Glasgow :lol
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2015, 05:46:23 am »

What Muffs are you using Steve. I'm struggling to get mine to fit over the brake reservoir
Oh and Happy Birthday

Thanks for the birthday wishes bud.

As for the muffs, I've been using these. Cheap and cheerful but I've just about managed to fit them to every bike in one way or another.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2015, 09:47:24 am »
Definitely Oxford Muffs in winter. I fitted these to stop the wind blowing the muffs against the levers: works a treat. Heated grips and summer gloves are all you need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-7-8-Handle-Bar-Proguard-System-Pro-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Protect-Guards-/252117420868?var=&hash=item3ab35e8b44:m:mkOTL0WBLlqimARUjLeaUeg