Date: 28-04-24  Time: 05:14 am

Author Topic: 16t sprocket review  (Read 1062 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
16t sprocket review
« on: 19 March 2016, 11:05:38 pm »
Well I have to say swapping out the standard 15T front sprocket for a 16 is a great easy mod, far smoother rev range and just makes the motor feel smoother + longer, highly recommended :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 16t sprocket review
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2016, 10:01:05 am »
A bit more than that needed to count as a review  :lol
  • How many miles have you done with this new setup?
  • Standard chain length retained?
  • Standard rear sprocket size retained?
  • Clutch slip upon take-off needed?
  • Duller acceleration?
  • 40-80mph roll-ons noticably worse?
  • Speedo more accurate?
  • Less engine vibration? I assume your smoother rev-range statement refers to this.
  • MPG improve by much? 
As she's an inline four, top-end is supposedly the main attraction, but that would be pushed some 1000rpm further up the rev-range by this mod.   I assume this cog swap would be most suitable for commuting or touring, or are you saying it's better than the standard gearing in general?

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
Better in general, standard chain and rear, just the front changed, had it a week and no real noticeable difference in acceleration but the engine just feels far smoother, actually faster up the top of the Rev range, but not so screamy on the motorway, not that much more clutch slip needed on take off really, well not noticeable as an issue if you've ridden enough bikes in the past. T

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
I'm with Tubz - most, if not every, inline 4 I've ridden since the mid 70's (including both Fazers) has had top gear too short for the torque of the motor in general - probably to give the impression of enhanced mid-range and improved top gear roll-on acceleration. Then again, most of my earlier 2 strokes (especially the Kawasaki 250 and 400 triples) suffered from running into the red-line in top tear far too easily.

My Aprilia RSV Mille doesn't suffer from this, but I'm happy with it, even though dropping a tooth on the front sprocket seems to be favoured by people on the Aprilia forums.

Personally, better economy, lower cruising RPM's and generally better top speeds (on the autobahn's or on track) as well as a more relaxed feel at normal road speeds make me a fan of running slightly bigger front sprockets - they should also, theoretically, potentially help sprocket life - due to larger circumference, but I reckon it's not something you'd ever be measure in real life.