Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:50 am

Author Topic: 16.000 miles out of Pirelli diablo Stradas! what tyres next??  (Read 2477 times)

Earache

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
16.000 miles out of Pirelli diablo Stradas! what tyres next??
« on: 26 September 2014, 08:08:07 pm »
Hi,

Its been a while since i'v been in the market for new tyres.. my current Pirelli Diablo Strada's have lasted for 16.000 miles(25.000km), highway riding, city riding and occasional twisty mountain road blasting on the beautiful Spanish roads!!(yes i wear them from the sides too )  ;)

but now its time for new ones. I have always favored the Diablos on my past sport bikes and the stradas on lower powered once, but they do not make them anymore, such a shame since they were cheap and great all weather rubber.. Had a pair of Michelin pilot roads on a cbr 600 in the past, ok tyres but not as versatile as the Diablo stradas, some bridgestone (BT 020, BT 016) but those were total crap, the only time i have had a serious close crash was on my old CBR 900RR with BT 020's, awful rain tyres..

My question is, what tyre would equal the old outgone Diablo stradas in price, longetivity and specially GRIP (excellent tyre in wet, track and dry)! i do about 10.000 miles a year on my bike and currently on tight budget since i'm planing to pay my apartment by next summer...

-The michelin pilot road 2 is seemingly a good choice but the price is high and i'v heard mixed feedback about the longevity..
-Pirelli diablos are great gripping tyres but have a softer compound, meaning less miles..
-Mez z6 is apparently a re-badged pirelli diablo?
- Mez Z8, any good?

suggestions and opinions on different tyres welcome! :) [size=78%] [/size]

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 16.000 miles out of Pirelli diablo Stradas! what tyres next??
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2014, 08:31:53 pm »
I had Diablo Stradas in the past but have since tried PR2s & BT023s.  Both seemed to last very well so might suit you.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2014, 10:19:41 pm »
I would say try the new Michelin Pr4s or Metezlers Z8 Interact

That kind of mileage from a tyre is something I can only dream of  :D

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2014, 04:20:19 pm »
If you're getting 16k out of a tyre mate you won't need something with excellent grip - you're not pushing them at all.

Personal favourites are the Michelin Road 3s, for better wet weather feel, or the Pirelli Angel (not as good in the wet, better in the dry). Depends what type of handling tyre you like, the Angel GTs have quite a pointy profile for a sport touring tyre, it's much closer to a lot of sport road tyres tbh

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2014, 07:19:31 pm »
Go on, get a set of maxxis diamonds! Cheaper than the rest by about 30%, better wear than the pr3 and contimotions I had before, and more than equal in wet/dry grip.

They've got their critics, most of which have never used them!!
Over the years I've had.
Bt 020. I thought they were superb all rounders but are no longer made.
Bt 021.awful tyres when they wear, and then they have aquaplaned and slid in the dry!
Angel gt. Equally as good as Bt 020.
Diablo corsas. Rubbish in the wet, poor wear rate. (2000 miles)
Diablo strada. Dry weather only!! Same wear as corsas.
Maxxis supermaxx. Had countless sets and ridden them hard. Not the grippiest if your clumsy on the throttle.
Maxxis diamond. Best all round tyre of the lot. Had 3 sets of them on 150bhp  bikes, and they've been superb.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2014, 07:29:32 pm »

Ill be going for Maxxis diamonds on the thou soon...............just to shut Stevie up! :b

Anyway i've just run pilot 3's and they're pretty much finished at 4.5 k so i aint paying over the odds in the false hope that they will last me 10k miles....they are good in the wet but i dont wanna do wet....ill go cheaper & change every year.

How much were those diamonds fitted Stevie?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2014, 07:34:28 pm »
Hi,

Its been a while since i'v been in the market for new tyres.. my current Pirelli Diablo Strada's have lasted for 16.000 miles(25.000km), highway riding, city riding and occasional twisty mountain road blasting on the beautiful Spanish roads!!(yes i wear them from the sides too )  ;)

but now its time for new ones. I have always favored the Diablos on my past sport bikes and the stradas on lower powered once, but they do not make them anymore, such a shame since they were cheap and great all weather rubber.. Had a pair of Michelin pilot roads on a cbr 600 in the past, ok tyres but not as versatile as the Diablo stradas, some bridgestone (BT 020, BT 016) but those were total crap, the only time i have had a serious close crash was on my old CBR 900RR with BT 020's, awful rain tyres..

My question is, what tyre would equal the old outgone Diablo stradas in price, longetivity and specially GRIP (excellent tyre in wet, track and dry)! i do about 10.000 miles a year on my bike and currently on tight budget since i'm planing to pay my apartment by next summer...

-The michelin pilot road 2 is seemingly a good choice but the price is high and i'v heard mixed feedback about the longevity..
-Pirelli diablos are great gripping tyres but have a softer compound, meaning less miles..
-Mez z6 is apparently a re-badged pirelli diablo?
- Mez Z8, any good?

suggestions and opinions on different tyres welcome! :)

Think you answered your own question fella............Metzeler Z6. Got them on mine, wearing well, loads of feel & grip etc especially good in the wet.  :rolleyes
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2014, 08:30:06 pm »

We're gonna make you a maxxis convertee Noggy, to fight the good fight where good rubber comes cheap, and peoples presumptions are blown away!

I got them for £185 fitted afaik.

PAIR of PR3 was going to rob me £240 fitted :'(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2014, 08:47:51 pm »

We're gonna make you a maxxis convertee Noggy, to fight the good fight where good rubber comes cheap, and peoples presumptions are blown away!

I got them for £185 fitted afaik.

PAIR of PR3 was going to rob me £240 fitted :'(

Yep thats what i paid for pr3 fitted....& that was the 600

Marketh my words Stevius-Aurelius-Maxxius.......i shall have them.......in this life or the next! :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Earache

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2014, 09:14:51 am »
Thanks for all the replies so far! keep them comming :)

Earache

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2014, 09:26:23 am »

That kind of mileage from a tyre is something I can only dream of  :D

In the past when living in Finland i did not manage such high mileage from my tyres, a maximum was between 6-10.000 miles.
The road surfaces here in Spain are really good and since there are no harsh winters they stay so.
One other secret for tyre longevity is that i never do burnouts, do not do 1st gear revving from traffic lights, and i almost never revv a cold engine (this applies to tyres too). I ride 40 highway miles daily to work, do some city riding if needed, tour a lot on the bike and occasionally i ride some great mountain twities with friends(scratching footpegs at way above legal speeds) the diablo stradas have coped with this kind of riding very well. my yearly mileage is around 13.000 miles, so a pair that last like the stradas would be ideal, meaning one tyre set per year.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2014, 07:37:47 pm »
Road surface type increase wear levels which would account for accelerated wear and most roads in Ireland outside the national primary routes have tar and sharp stone chip design. Anybody using the motorways and rarely venture off the national primary routes as the tarmac which has excellent grip is less inclined to torture the tyre will have better tyre wear.
The sides of mine are gone before the centre, probably a testament to where and how I ride. :lol

Never did a burnout in my life, as I am mechanically sympathetic, always allow 2 miles for the engine and tyres to warm up as it prevents premature engine wear and prevents cold tear of tyres and see absolutely no point in burning it off the line at traffice lights as there are to many idiots around.  :rolleyes

40 highway miles daily is the main reason for your extended mileage, but would bore me to tears  :)

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2014, 09:49:54 pm »
Maxxis diamonds yea they chuck you a pair in the box at the food bank[/size] :lol
Its just a ride

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
Maxxis diamonds yea they chuck you a pair in the box at the food bank[/size] :lol
Woah, Woah, Woah! Don't knock em till you tried em!
I found them just as good as any of the more expensive tyres, only the ones who live on hearsay and have never had a set are the first to knock them.

I remember when hankook arrived on the performance car scene and got knocked by everyone. Now look at the hankookrace series.!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2014, 05:33:36 pm »
Here's my Diablo corsa after about 1000 miles. It was no grippier than my diamonds, and cost a fortune

Here's my last diamond after 4500 rather hard miles.

£135 or £90?  I know where I'm spending my money. >:D