Date: 27-04-24  Time: 15:55 pm

Author Topic: side stand removal (s2)  (Read 3693 times)

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
side stand removal (s2)
« on: 19 April 2013, 01:44:20 am »
Im in the middle of a strip and clean before the season starts, everything is going a lot slower that I had planned, ( ocd ) anyhoo ..
The bike is on the centre stand, and I want to take off the side stand for painting, There is two big bolts with alen key and threadlocked..
There is also one large nut in the middle, Looking at it I was thinking that the two bolts ( alen key ) had something to do with the rear subframe or something like that..Can anyone confirm that removal of the two ( alen key ) bolts are just for the side stand and not connected or needed for anything else, I don't want to remove them and the whole bike falls down.....cheers tosh

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
Re: side stand removal (s2)
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2013, 01:53:32 am »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2013, 10:38:54 am »
I want to take off the side stand for painting, There is two big bolts with alen key and threadlocked..
There is also one large nut in the middle, Looking at it I was thinking that the two bolts ( alen key ) had something to do with the rear subframe or something like that..Can anyone confirm that removal of the two ( alen key ) bolts are just for the side stand and not connected or needed for anything else,

I've just had a look at the Haynes Manual and they're simply to hold the sidestand in place (also I had one of them come loose at one point and nothing fell off, only the side stand wobbled!)

Haynes says: "To remove the stand leg only, first unhook the spring with the stand in the raised position, then couterhold the nut on the pivot bolt and unscrew the bolt. Support the stand leg and withdraw the bolt. Note the location of the stand switch plunger."

If you want to take the whole assembly off, you'll need to deal with the sidestand cut-out switch first which is more complicated, I'd recommend picking up a copy of the Haynes manual for this.

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2013, 09:13:29 pm »
Ahh bless ya,
The bolts when I started to take them out looked too long for just a side stand bolt witch lead me to think that it was holding something else...
Once again thanks...Tosh

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2013, 05:41:33 pm »
well I have taken the side stand and the centre stand for cleaning and painting, easy peasy with no bolts that hold anything else...happy chappy..

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2013, 06:41:28 pm »
You have an extremely well balanced bike there if its got no stands attached anymore!   :D
Some say...

tosh23

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - f800gs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2013, 02:55:20 am »
The wife spoils me, I have a ramp....