Date: 28-04-24  Time: 02:34 am

Author Topic: changing front brake lever  (Read 1864 times)

emuland

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
changing front brake lever
« on: 06 March 2013, 05:29:26 pm »
Afternoon all,
First things first, this is a newbie technical post, appreciate any response you have time to give....
Long story short, taxi plus me on my S reg Fz6 equals me on the ground, no major harm done to me or the bike thanks to engine bars, only a front brake lever bent almost totally around at the end. Brake is still working fine and I've been riding no problems. Got a spare front brake lever in the post and was going to fire away and replace. Looked simple enough, one bolt, decided to newbie-proof myself in case it wasn't that simple, don't like messing with brakes....they're kinda important to the whole stopping side of things.
Saw a post online about problems with the little hydraulic plunger popping out when the lever is taken off, brakes locking up afterwards....
Is this something that I can do myself? Am I going to do something stupid and regret it? I'm learning my way around the bike which I have since before xmas but have a long way to go.
As i said, any and all help will be appreciated.
Cheers.

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
  • it aint easy bein' sleazy
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: changing front brake lever
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2013, 10:20:08 pm »
my bike is a fzs fazer but  presume its pretty much the same , I've changed my brake lever twice with ease( and believe me to paraphrase a song I once heard ,if theres a wrong way to do it or a right way to fuck it up I'm your man  :lol ) , just undo it carefully make sure that you keep hold of the bolt and whatever connects the lever to the business end - nothing should drop out,spring off or otherwise do anything unusual and just take note of what you do to undo it, change the lever and reverse the process to put it back together ( I'm not trying to be flippant - believe me I know how scary it can be when you first start messing ) and do it when you have time - dont rush and with the correct light i.e daylight or in a garage with a strong light and dont worry! you've still got a back brake  :) I found it was easier to change than the clutch lever and good luck
get off the cooker granny, you're too old to ride the range