Date: 27-04-24  Time: 23:56 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of returning to the Foccer fold  (Read 3302 times)

nanook

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ER6F
    • View Profile
Thinking of returning to the Foccer fold
« on: 19 December 2012, 10:32:22 am »
I currently have a TDM900 but am thinking of going back to a Fazer 600 (I last had one in 2002).  My local dealer has one for sale as per the link below.  It is a 2007 model and looks mint at £3850.  I would welcome your thoughts and opinions on this year model; good and bad points, touring capability (I do a continental tour of about 6k miles every year), what goes wrong with it, how comfortable etc.
Cheers,
Nanook

http://www.mitchellsmc.co.uk/newbikes2.php?showdetails=1317&status=NEW&status2=&highlighttarget=1317

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of returning to the Foccer fold
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2012, 12:42:20 pm »
Mine is a 2004 FZ-6 which I use for commuting but I did own a TDM850 a few years back and tbh I'd be surprised at going from a TDM900 to a Fazer 6 - maybe a FZ1 if you wanted more power but not moving "down" in capacity. The FZ-6 is massively capable and would certainly do the job there's no doubt about that but I'd expect the TDM900 to be more comfortable and have more torque which may make it better for touring. Stick an open exhaust on it and it sounds fab as well! The Fazer will be faster so depends how much top end matters.

Having also owned a Fazer 1000 for 9 years (traded in the TDM 850 for it) I'd thoroughly recommend it as a better option than both - I'd go for something like the one also listed http://www.mitchellsmc.co.uk/newbikes2.php?showdetails=1968&status=NEW&status2=&highlighttarget=1968

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2012, 07:11:21 pm »
I've got a '58 plate FZ6 (the half-faired Fazer) S2 and the normal complaints seem to be clunky gearboxes ("they all do it sir"), and wind noise at speed (I find it ok up to 70-ish, much more and it does annoy). That said, I quickly learned to pipe speed down due to the wind noise, and it saved me from a bloody scamera on the A1.

It's maybe a good idea to get a test ride if possible; the earlier carb-fed FZS bikes are widely regarded as being nicer bikes to ride the the later (04-on) injected bikes.

If you do buy, haggle the price down; I paid £3500 for my 2008 bike.

Don't know if your proposed bike has it (mine doesn't, so can't say how well it works) but there was an ABS option from 2006 - not something that suits everyone. I've also got a Givi topbox rack on mine, and the underseat exhaust can make life awkward to install it.

nanook

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ER6F
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2012, 11:15:40 am »
AdieR, re the wind noise, my TDM, and previous bikes, all suffered from wind noise but I discovered the MRA Vario screen and they have done a great job on all my bikes.  On my TDM I can cruise all day at high speed with no wind noise or windblast.  I don't know, though, if the MRA would look good on a latter-day Fazer.
clanAdam, on my 2000 Fazer I did big miles including continental trips and had no problems with comfort; are the modern Fazers less comfortable?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2012, 02:26:59 pm »
After the torquey TDM I'd definitely give a litre bike a try. I came from a triumph triple and there's no way I could go to a 600 after that. Try an Fz1/Fzs thou and you won't be disappointed. FZS 1000 is the better tourer, the Fz1 the better sports bike. Try them both :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2012, 11:36:13 pm »
Its a pity it isn't the summer, I could drop up past and give you a shot of my 2005 FZ6, I got a Yammy touring screen and a standard screen, I find the standard one better as the wind blast hits me on the chest, the touring screen buffets my helmet to bits.
 I like the bike but I have only ever ridden Hondas (them being a 77 C50 an 82 CB100n and an 85 CB125t).
 If the weather improves and you want a trip down Speyside you are more than welcome to come down to rothes and have a seat or maybe ride of my bike.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

nanook

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ER6F
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2012, 01:11:53 pm »
Its a pity it isn't the summer, I could drop up past and give you a shot of my 2005 FZ6, I got a Yammy touring screen and a standard screen, I find the standard one better as the wind blast hits me on the chest, the touring screen buffets my helmet to bits.
 I like the bike but I have only ever ridden Hondas (them being a 77 C50 an 82 CB100n and an 85 CB125t).
 If the weather improves and you want a trip down Speyside you are more than welcome to come down to rothes and have a seat or maybe ride of my bike.

Thanks robby boy I might just take you up on that  :)

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2013, 09:28:25 pm »
I brought my 2009 FZ6S2 two years ago and paid £4200 for it with 1000 miles on the clock... but then it was a blue one.... Red is obviously a more expensive colour!

Around 2007/2008 the fuelling got improved apparently and cant complain about mine apart from that I dont think there is more than cosmetic differences between the 2007 and later FZ6's

Never ridden one but the Tedium is supposed to be a great all rounder where the little fizzy needs a lot of gear changing to keep on top form

59 going on 57

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2013, 07:18:14 am »
Check it out, if you like it ring the salesman back and make an  offer, this time of year a saleis a sale,,offer £3,300.00 and thats it, dont get into a bidding war, they could ring back.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2013, 10:44:45 am »
I had a test ride on a FZ6 last year , despite being decatted and having quality can's on it .
The lack of mid range made me think it was not as nice to ride as the earlier 600's
but the Fz600 is getting quite old now so that rules it out for some

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2013, 01:15:11 pm »
Personally I think it would be a step backwards, or sideways at best. I'd only go from a 900 to a 600 if I really had to i.e. because of finances or the bike was too tall / heavy for me.

Whats wrong with your TDM for touring etc - I had the older 850 & thought it was a great all-rounder.

I agree with others here that a 1000 is the way to go for the likes of continental touring, and the Gen1 with it's larger tank / longer fuel range would be the pick of the two.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2013, 04:04:38 pm »
Agreed. The 1000 is defo the way to go and u would save a grand if ur thinkin of byin that red fzs6 @ £3850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))