Date: 19-05-24  Time: 11:04 am

Author Topic: Question about engine mount bolts  (Read 2023 times)

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Question about engine mount bolts
« on: 14 August 2012, 11:47:28 am »
I've recently fitted some r&g crash bungs to my fzs600.

Had a problem when replacing the m6 and m8 engine mount bolts.

there is a metal spacer in the m8 tube which doesn't line up properly which meant the new m8 would not go through without pushing the spacer out. so I have left out the spacer.

is this bad? If so, any suggestions?

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Question about engine mount bolts
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2012, 12:26:28 pm »
personally - yes.

I would say the spacer gives support along the length of the bolt

I had the same problem when i did mine. solution was to have one person hold/push the spacer in place as the other pushed the mounting bolt through the hole. sometimes the alignment causes an issue and it needs to be "persuaded" with a long screwdriver.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2012, 12:37:44 pm »
Bits and bobs aren't just thrown it for fun, it will make up part of the whole kit for strength purposes, you need to have the spacer on there for full effect just in case it ever needs to be used (touch wood it doesn't).
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2012, 04:43:47 pm »
personally - yes.

I would say the spacer gives support along the length of the bolt

I had the same problem when i did mine. solution was to have one person hold/push the spacer in place as the other pushed the mounting bolt through the hole. sometimes the alignment causes an issue and it needs to be "persuaded" with a long screwdriver.

pushing the bolt through the hole required a hammer even without the spacer!  I shall give the long screwdriver a go and see if I can get it. 

Other option I thought of was to bore out the spacer a bit, goodness knows how though!

derildo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2012, 09:07:40 am »
Daniel

had the same problem on mine a couple of weeks back, had to hammer the M8 bolt through causing the spacer to be pushed out.

I loosened the bottom bolt on the crash bung mount  to hand tight - I had previously torqued it up - and then used a long m8 engine bolt about 300mm  long that I had lying around. As you have seen there ain't a lot of room and loads of stuff to avoid! However I was able to get a good contact to the edge of the spacer and a few whacks with a mallet had the spacer about halfway home exposing the thread of the bolt so I was able to put the washer and nut on and doing it up with spanner and socket did the rest.
Your screwdriver does need to be a long 'un so as to avoid the handle stopping you getting a clear run, you could get a length of all thread from B&Q.

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2012, 10:27:33 am »
Daniel

had the same problem on mine a couple of weeks back, had to hammer the M8 bolt through causing the spacer to be pushed out.

I loosened the bottom bolt on the crash bung mount  to hand tight - I had previously torqued it up - and then used a long m8 engine bolt about 300mm  long that I had lying around. As you have seen there ain't a lot of room and loads of stuff to avoid! However I was able to get a good contact to the edge of the spacer and a few whacks with a mallet had the spacer about halfway home exposing the thread of the bolt so I was able to put the washer and nut on and doing it up with spanner and socket did the rest.
Your screwdriver does need to be a long 'un so as to avoid the handle stopping you getting a clear run, you could get a length of all thread from B&Q.

so you were hitting the spacer itself to force it back in the tube?  and the spacer didn't push the bolt out as it went in?

derildo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2012, 01:45:53 pm »
Daniel

yep, the bolt stayed still. Not surprising as it was quite an effort to get it in in the first place.  Hope it goes well.

Derek

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
Daniel

yep, the bolt stayed still. Not surprising as it was quite an effort to get it in in the first place.  Hope it goes well.

Derek

Thanks matey it worked a treat.  I bought a metre length of M10 threaded bar from b&q and fitted a cap-nut to it, and it didn't need to much force to get the spacer to slide onto the bolt and the bolt did stay in place!

Such an easy fix!  Thanks again!