Date: 17-05-24  Time: 07:08 am

Author Topic: Slightly asthmatic old girl…  (Read 3276 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly asthmatic old girl…
« Reply #25 on: 14 November 2022, 08:59:08 am »
Personally, if it was anything air related I'd be looking at the air filter.
I had a dodgy paper one many years ago that made the bike sound stuffed up, which is what prompted me towards getting a K&N.
Bit of a ballache but why not remove the air filter and start it up and see if it sounds any clearer? Wouldn't really advise taking it for a spin though, just in case you very unluckily suck something into the engine, but you're not a newbie so should hear a difference.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Likesbikes

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2022, 12:13:41 pm »
Not a bad shout that, I did examine the filter while reassembling everything and it looked good. However who knows where it came from, never noticed any obvious markings that pointed to a manufacturer on it.

Speaking of parts manufacturers I meant to add, the manifold rubbers I bought were Tourmax ones. The markings on them were identical to the originals in every way, right down to the ‘5DM’ Fazer code and the manufacturers logo and so much cheaper than the Yamaha packaged ‘genuine’ ones. Don’t know if this is well known on here but hopefully it’s of interest to someone?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2022, 12:16:05 pm by Likesbikes »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 November 2022, 05:35:28 am »
Not a bad shout that, I did examine the filter while reassembling everything and it looked good. However who knows where it came from, never noticed any obvious markings that pointed to a manufacturer on it.

Speaking of parts manufacturers I meant to add, the manifold rubbers I bought were Tourmax ones. The markings on them were identical to the originals in every way, right down to the ‘5DM’ Fazer code and the manufacturers logo and so much cheaper than the Yamaha packaged ‘genuine’ ones. Don’t know if this is well known on here but hopefully it’s of interest to someone?

You can't really "look" at an air filter to see if it's okay, unless of course it's obviously filthy.
I reckon the one i had was simply too thick as far as the paper was concerned, or just a knock off and poorly made. It only lasted a week before i changed it, as my bike also sounded and felt like it couldn't breathe freely. When i put the K&N on it was like that feeling you got when you took off a covid mask.  8)
« Last Edit: 16 November 2022, 06:15:06 am by darrsi »

Likesbikes

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 November 2022, 06:53:41 pm »
I meant I examined it for filth 😆

Likesbikes

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2022, 09:02:08 pm »
Update…

Well Darrsi wins the virtual prize, a performance filter has done it the world of good. Free revving and sounds less 70’s and much more like a modern bike. Unfortunately it’s SORN’d at the moment so can’t test ride it but I’m pretty certain it’ll go a lot better. Although now the idle is creeping up a bit if left to run for a while, not sure it’s particularly a problem so will keep an eye on that once I can get it up the road.

But anyway many thanks all, particularly Darrsi and Unfazed. Appreciate everyones input, great community here. Now if I could just get some more illumination out of the feeble headlights 😆
« Last Edit: 02 December 2022, 09:04:16 pm by Likesbikes »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 December 2022, 11:11:01 pm »
Update…

Well Darrsi wins the virtual prize, a performance filter has done it the world of good. Free revving and sounds less 70’s and much more like a modern bike. Unfortunately it’s SORN’d at the moment so can’t test ride it but I’m pretty certain it’ll go a lot better. Although now the idle is creeping up a bit if left to run for a while, not sure it’s particularly a problem so will keep an eye on that once I can get it up the road.

But anyway many thanks all, particularly Darrsi and Unfazed. Appreciate everyones input, great community here. Now if I could just get some more illumination out of the feeble headlights 😆

I will gracefully accept the prize.  :D

Glad to hear it made a difference. Which air filter did you go with in the end?

Likesbikes

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2022, 11:04:02 am »
I went for the Pipercross one, purely on cost. If we were planning to keep the bike longer we’d have gone K&N but the plan is to get her some experience on this tatty bike then look for something nicer.can’t test it properly at the moment as it’s off road, I've just bought a second bike for myself and had too much tied up in tax and insurance on three bikes before she ‘buys’ it off me.

She’s ridden the Fazer on a private road a few times in preparation for her more formal training and loves it so we’re thinking of maybe looking for a nicer example when the time comes, maybe a 2003 model? These look to me just to be a more modern looking fairing with better lights, have I got that right or is there more to it than that? The other thought is the later R6 engined model but that seems to be held in less regard going on the little bits I’ve read about it. Doubtless I’m be researching and seeking opinions on here nearer the time.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
I went for the Pipercross one, purely on cost. If we were planning to keep the bike longer we’d have gone K&N but the plan is to get her some experience on this tatty bike then look for something nicer.can’t test it properly at the moment as it’s off road, I've just bought a second bike for myself and had too much tied up in tax and insurance on three bikes before she ‘buys’ it off me.

She’s ridden the Fazer on a private road a few times in preparation for her more formal training and loves it so we’re thinking of maybe looking for a nicer example when the time comes, maybe a 2003 model? These look to me just to be a more modern looking fairing with better lights, have I got that right or is there more to it than that? The other thought is the later R6 engined model but that seems to be held in less regard going on the little bits I’ve read about it. Doubtless I’m be researching and seeking opinions on here nearer the time.

Pretty much as you've said. The lights on the 02/03 models are H4 bulbs both sides with far superior reflective panels than the older models. To be honest you'd be hard pushed finding worse lights than the older models, which is why a lot of people have used add on spotlights which work very well.

Likesbikes

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 December 2022, 09:20:19 pm »
We stuck some whiter/brighter bulbs in which I’d say improved things marginally. I reckon crappy reflectors are crappy reflector regardless of the bulbs you have in there. But it looks more modern at night at least lol.

I’m pondering chucking the headlight unit in the oven to see if I can open it up, the brighter bulbs really highlighted the cobwebs and dust inside which can’t be helping it any.

Shame really because I was really impressed with the way this bike rides and handles (and now presumably goes?) for an old girl, as long as you don’t want to ride it out of town in the dark

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 December 2022, 12:42:17 pm »
We stuck some whiter/brighter bulbs in which I’d say improved things marginally. I reckon crappy reflectors are crappy reflector regardless of the bulbs you have in there. But it looks more modern at night at least lol.

I’m pondering chucking the headlight unit in the oven to see if I can open it up, the brighter bulbs really highlighted the cobwebs and dust inside which can’t be helping it any.

Shame really because I was really impressed with the way this bike rides and handles (and now presumably goes?) for an old girl, as long as you don’t want to ride it out of town in the dark

I've tried the Philips Xtreme, and Osram Night breakers, and they're both decent bulbs, but wasted on these headlight units, as the reflective panels are simply shite.

I personally added 2 x 10w spotlights and they give out at least twice as much light on top.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 December 2022, 12:43:29 pm »
« Last Edit: 06 December 2022, 12:44:05 pm by darrsi »