Date: 18-05-24  Time: 04:09 am

Author Topic: fairing question  (Read 3438 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
fairing question
« on: 26 September 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
as you know the fazer thou fairing is not the best for protection, so has anyone managed to fit a better fairing off another bike or an aftermarket fairing? I don't want to get rid of the fazer for a better touring bike so would like a better fairing.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: fairing question
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2013, 05:24:01 am »
I have read a few good reviews on these screens, they look a bit strange but ideal for covering big mies. Keep your small favourite screen in the luggage and change when you reach your destination, its only 6 screws.

Screen images [size=78%]http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info_Madstad_Bracket_Windshield_System_Yamaha_FZS1000_Fazer_2001-2005.html[/size]

How it all works [/size][size=78%]http://www.madstad.com/[/size]

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2013, 08:38:54 am »
I have read a few good reviews on these screens, they look a bit strange but ideal for covering big mies. Keep your small favourite screen in the luggage and change when you reach your destination, its only 6 screws.

I fabricated a similar setup on my Fazer and will be testing it this weekend, I'll post pics if it is a success. And not post pics if it's an embarrassing failure. Fingers crossed

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2013, 09:56:15 am »
omg thats hidious  :'(  :'( :o :'(   in my humble opinion
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2013, 10:46:56 am »
omg thats hidious  :'( :'( :o :'(   in my humble opinion

Yes, thats why I said take your normal screen with you  ;) [size=78%]. But good for covering big miles and keeping the weather off[/size]

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2013, 01:39:40 pm »

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2013, 04:42:35 pm »
Just notice the adjusted mirrors. Might try that with mine to get less elbow.  :D

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2013, 06:04:52 pm »
Just notice the adjusted mirrors. Might try that with mine to get less elbow.  :D

I think that is the Fuzzy Mirror Mod: [size=78%]http://yamahafz1oa.com/fuzzyonesstockmirrormod.shtml[/size]

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2013, 06:57:36 pm »
This is a pic (hopefully) of a 'screen' I fabricated. It's basically a standard screen with a MRA touring screen sitting about an inch on top. The idea behind this is to encourage a cleaner laminar flow of air over the MRA screen, I have a theory that the negative pressure behind/under conventional screens causes the airflow over the screen lip to swirl -which can get bad enough to cause buffetting. This new arrangement should create a stream of air under the MRA screen and fill-in the negative pressure zone and hopefully prevent the swirl effect. If it doesn't do a good job there is plenty of scope to adjust the height/positioning to see if it makes a difference, it's early days. Once I get the height/position right I'll deal with asthetics.

simon screen
simon screen
screen
screen

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2013, 07:07:38 pm »
Once I get the height/position right I'll deal with asthetics.

How are going to do that...take it off ? :lol

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2013, 07:16:40 pm »
Once I get the height/position right I'll deal with asthetics.

How are going to do that...take it off ? :lol

Probably...lol!
I was bored today.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2013, 07:22:41 pm »
 :rollin This has actually given me an even more stupid idea....Watch this space :b

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2013, 09:26:14 pm »
This is a pic (hopefully) of a 'screen' I fabricated. It's basically a standard screen with a MRA touring screen sitting about an inch on top. The idea behind this is to encourage a cleaner laminar flow of air over the MRA screen, I have a theory that the negative pressure behind/under conventional screens causes the airflow over the screen lip to swirl -which can get bad enough to cause buffetting. This new arrangement should create a stream of air under the MRA screen and fill-in the negative pressure zone and hopefully prevent the swirl effect. If it doesn't do a good job there is plenty of scope to adjust the height/positioning to see if it makes a difference, it's early days. Once I get the height/position right I'll deal with asthetics.

I tried exactly that using the Yamaha touring screen and some 1cm long spacers! Great minds think alike, eh? Ran with if for a few months. Didn't work!

There's more to this than meets the eye. I don't think it's the negative pressure that causes the problem (if you've ever ridden a Gen 1 FJR, you really feel it. It's like a hand pushing at your back, but actually it's the low pressure in front pulling you forward), so it's probably a combination of problems. First, there's the height of the entire fairing - it's an inch or so too low, then there's the mirrors which seem to deflect turbulent air all over the shop (taking them off can improve things) and then there's the width of the screen which is too narrow.

And of course, there's the size of the rider. The Japanese seem to aim at the average person for Japan, but I'm 6'1". I'm outside their envelope.

Doing what we've done certainly makes a difference to the amount of wind pressure, but the screen was just too narrow to be properly effective and that slight flip did seem to aim the turbulent air directly at my helmet vents which meant it was noisy. I bought a Givi touring which is wider and that made a bigger difference to my riding comfort. With the standard screen, things got weird at 80, but now it's 95. I also notice the Fazer is very sensitive to which way the wind is blowing, not from a stability point of view, just comfort wise. 3/4 sidewinds seem to affect it really badly, but head on, not so much.

Wind protection is a nightmare on bikes if you're a large bloke. I suspect Japanese manufacturers rarely put bikes like the Fazer in wind tunnels. Even my ZZR, which spent a lot of time in a wind tunnel during design, is atrocious without a massive touring screen, but then again, it was designed for top speed not user comfort.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2013, 04:48:14 am »
This is what I adapted to fit mine. It's a gen 2 Yamaha touring screen, combined with the extra width and height it works a treat for me. Could do with being a few inches taller just to push the wind completely over my lid but has made every journey more relaxing especially long high speed ones.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2013, 12:30:22 pm »
Did somebody on the forum fit the 600 fairing to the 1000 some time ago?

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2013, 10:55:07 pm »
I have tried at least 5 screens to get rid of neck strain and buffeting and the best screen by a country mile was this puig. It isnt the double bubble version, but the flip screen.. Ps i'm roughly 5"10  :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2013, 12:11:46 pm »
For what its worth, have tried 95% of the Gen 1 screens over the years with the exception of the really 'tall wide' ones.  Some have really surprised me  good & bad, where others have reported the opposite results.  To date to the ones that have stood out for me the Fabbri DB & this MRA DB has really surprised me.
Its not that tall or wide but seams to fit my overall envelope at 5ft 8", & really good for over a ton with no real buffeting.
It will all come down to our own individual riding position, height, helmet etc.  There will be one out there us all some where!