Date: 06-05-24  Time: 22:05 pm

Author Topic: bad test ride  (Read 3004 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
bad test ride
« on: 04 November 2012, 07:49:20 pm »
wel yesterday i went with the missus for a test on the BMW f800st with the thinking Bmw touring bike for next year, bike 5000 miles on the clock ,heated grips, bmw sat nav,and intercom, two seat options mmmm went for the high comfy seat ,
started up nice throaty sound from the exhaust sat on nice a comfy and light right off for ride very long clutch travel and gear change very clunky worse than the yam off we went slipping and sliding on the seat trying to stop my nuts from cracking every time i slowed down, changed gear, or braked not happy stright back to bmw with only 10 miles done ,
change of seat and wifey does not want to go as she was scared with bracing herself and holding on for dear life due to seat and the fact the footrests were too close for passenger and rider suspension was good thou
the ride was better but had a scary moment when back wheel slipped but the engine vibes from the twin was awfull seemed like it was miss firing type of thing and when the engine was turned off it stopped with a clunk
might try a bmw1200rt next year to see if that was better but got on the fz600 comfy and non viby just need suspension sorting so dosent dive so much and jump over bumps while trying to take a piece of ya spine

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: bad test ride
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2012, 09:05:27 pm »
Triumph Tiger 800. That is all.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2012, 12:20:32 pm »
I am making a similar decision at the moment.  For the past five years all my touring (solo) has been done on my 40,000-mile '98 VFR800.  My girlfriend has taken to pillion riding and so my trip to Spain next year will be two-up.  That being the case the VFR has beeen sold and I am in the market for a tourer.  As there will be two of us I haven't looked at the like of the F800 - instead looking at the Pan European and R1200RT.  We tested both bikes back-to-back and the BMW was the better bike by far so it looks like that is what will end up in the garage alongside my Mk1 Fazer thou.       

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2012, 02:24:18 pm »
richfzs
"Triumph Tiger 800. That is all."

Sorry to disagree, but the Triumph Tiger was very poor on road handling, noise & wind buffeting.
I got off my Aprilia Tuono to test ride the Tiger, and was I glad to get back on the Tuono.
I wanted something different, tourer, do it all bike.
So keeping my ZRX & the Tuono at the moment.
Will see what the NEC show comes up with.
R

« Last Edit: 06 November 2012, 10:21:32 am by rayburn600 »

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2012, 06:21:12 pm »
Only problem ive got with the tiger is it looks like a trials/motocross bike i hate em if they made a smaller trophy i might consider it

kevinf-g

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2012, 06:29:22 pm »
FJR1300, smooth plenty of Ooomph compared to any of the above, motor good for big miles, find a Nk1 as it is lighter but less gadgets than a later one, done 50K on mine all weathers Europe and UK. Still prefer my Mk1 1000 for solo localish work though,

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2012, 07:54:24 pm »
Sorry to disagree, but the Triumph Tiger was very poor on road handling, noise & wind buffeting.

I've heard other people talking of this noise & buffeting on the Tiger; all I can say is, there is far less wind noise than my FZS600 ( I no longer bother with ear plugs, when on the Tiger), and I can sit at any speed I like (tested to 120 so far) with no buffeting whatsoever. I'm 6 foot 2, so no midget to hind behind the screen - who knows, maybe that helps? 

As for the handling, I found it very strange when I first rode the road version, but started to adapt. When I bought, I got the XC, and I think this actually handles better than the roadie. Ray, which version did you ride?

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2012, 10:20:41 am »
 richfzs

I tested the Tiger roadie. :'(
Coming straight off the Tuono I found the Tiger road holding skittish.
Wind noise was very bad.
I'm not slanging off the Tiger but obviously it’s not for me.
Which was a shame as I really liked the looks of the bike.
I'm still looking for something, just got the itch...
But the Tuono is something else.
Will take a lot to beat it, but it’s not a tourer.
The ZRX meanwhile is fantastic, toured top of France with it.
Just feel like a change.
Maybe I need a Fazer Thou? :lol

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2012, 11:10:52 am »
If I were not in the fortunate position of being able to own two bikes I still think that the FZS1000 is pretty unbeatable as an all-round machine.  Still love riding mine after 6+ years of ownership.  It's fast, smooth, comfortable and handles well.  I guess there may be more modern kit out there but nothing yet that would tempt me to swop it for my Fazer.             

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2012, 03:10:05 pm »
Fazer Thou tours well ,especially if you are a big chap.
I toured Northern Spain two up last year , bike did everything well. Bit of a handfull for me as i'm a short arse but I would use the thou antime over the 600 for loaded up work

phillywilly

• DAS Born Again
  • give em a short ,sharp shock,they wont do it again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2012, 09:46:14 pm »
wel yesterday i went with the missus for a test on the BMW f800st with the thinking Bmw touring bike for next year, bike 5000 miles on the clock ,heated grips, bmw sat nav,and intercom, two seat options mmmm went for the high comfy seat ,
started up nice throaty sound from the exhaust sat on nice a comfy and light right off for ride very long clutch travel and gear change very clunky worse than the yam off we went slipping and sliding on the seat trying to stop my nuts from cracking every time i slowed down, changed gear, or braked not happy stright back to bmw with only 10 miles done ,
change of seat and wifey does not want to go as she was scared with bracing herself and holding on for dear life due to seat and the fact the footrests were too close for passenger and rider suspension was good thou
the ride was better but had a scary moment when back wheel slipped but the engine vibes from the twin was awfull seemed like it was miss firing type of thing and when the engine was turned off it stopped with a clunk
might try a bmw1200rt next year to see if that was better but got on the fz600 comfy and non viby just need suspension sorting so dosent dive so much and jump over bumps while trying to take a piece of ya spine

ddtwelve, you wont be able to afford a push bike let alone a bmw motorbike after the courts have their way with you soon  :'( but if you do get a new bike get a speed camera alert to it  :rollin
seriously , good luck soon , let us know how u get on  ;)
shine on you crazy diamond

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
thanks Philly  :'( its next tues so fingers crossed, touch wood and hope dont see black cats or magpies while i go up there

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2012, 10:32:04 am »
well off to look at another bike thinking of a tiger 1050  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2012, 12:16:14 pm »
Just px'd my Tiger 1050 3 days ago. Superb bike two up, but only with a couple of mods. My missus loved the Tiger'pillion seat, and the torque from that triple is just perfect for two up.

If you get a 10 plate onward, the suspension is better, a sub 10 plate needs the rear shock and spring off a Honda Blackbird to cope with the weight. The screen is noisy over 40mph, but the comfort is exceptional! 

If I was touring, then I'd have another in the blink of an eye.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2012, 02:39:08 pm »
Hmm reading bout the tiger here sounds like it may have been the next choice for me ... but then again unsure  ?

I have though now aranged for my trusty ol fzs 600  (beast ) to PX with a Honda Varedao 1000 2009 model ... hope im doing right thing ...

The tourer is very comfortable ride and taller as im 6 1 it kind of helps  :b

Wish i could keep the fazer though aswell  :'( ... but like most things these days pennies say no chance .

But back on topic i would consider the Varedao 1000 also aswell as the Tiger power n comfort also  8)
Working on this bit :OP

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2012, 05:15:59 pm »
The guy that bought my tiger used to have a varadero, and rates the tiger above it. It's for one thing a lot better on fuel, and smoother power delivery. Go and have a test ride of each bud and convince yourself which is better.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2012, 05:42:35 pm »
Took it for a test ride brilliant bike 08 plateaus didn't find anything wrong with rear suspension bike had only done 9000 miles tho missus loved the ride as well as me lovely suspension compared to the fz6 no crashing over bumps and bouncing off them too ,only thing wrong seat might be a wee too high ,tried a different seat by the bloke from huddersfield and slightly better just got to sort finace out now :-D

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
Took it for a test ride brilliant bike 08 plateaus didn't find anything wrong with rear suspension bike had only done 9000 miles tho missus loved the ride as well as me lovely suspension compared to the fz6 no crashing over bumps and bouncing off them too ,only thing wrong seat might be a wee too high ,tried a different seat by the bloke from huddersfield and slightly better just got to sort finace out now :-D

Which 1 ?   :D
Working on this bit :OP

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2012, 07:42:54 pm »
If it was the Tiger, they work better when they're lowered about an inch anyway(I did mine), and its cheap to do.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2012, 03:06:08 pm »
Steve is it just dog bones need doing ??

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2012, 04:47:38 pm »
Yep, I drilled my own rear plates and dropped the forks through, hence why it was free. you can buy lowered rear plates for about 40 notes off the forum if your not mechanically minded, but the drop can be as low as 35mm which should be enough. :)