Date: 24-05-24  Time: 04:04 am

Author Topic: waterproof covers  (Read 1826 times)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
waterproof covers
« on: 10 November 2013, 08:38:52 pm »
anyone recommend a good WATERPROOF bike cover? theres a load of em on various sites but im guessing you guys will know whats best through hard experiance, as the cheap one i brought is shower  proof at best and it appears the garage (ok,shed!!) that i was offered seems to have fallen through so i need a more robust cover.

thanks in advance

pilgo

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: waterproof covers
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2013, 09:30:44 pm »
BEFORE I worked for Oxford Products, I used to favour the Oxford Stormex, but have had quite a few come back with peeling seam seal tape (although compared to number actually sold, maybe not that many). Seems to be caused by leaving in strong sunlight (?) judging by the faded look of the problem ones.
Used to sell a lot of Held covers at my last place, so could be a good option, quality looked ok, but haven't used one myself.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2013, 10:08:03 pm »
cheers chaps  :thumbup :thumbup

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2013, 10:12:36 am »
R & G do a fantastic one.

Mines gotta be about 4 years old now and is still absolutely fine. Waterproof, heatproof, got a couple of material pocket type things so you can run chains through it to secure it, it's then got a couple of decent clips on the bottom and has an elasticated bottom so it really hugs the bike.
Best cover by far I've ever owned, went through a couple of cheaper oxford ones and I wish I'd just gotten this straight off!

peterjca

« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2013, 11:50:17 am »
Used an Oxford Stormex for many years without any problems (apart from having to replace it last year when a mouse made big holes in it over the summer).

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2013, 01:31:40 pm »
On a similar note, I've heard people say not to put a cover on a wet bike that's just been ridden?

When I get home from work I'd throw the cover on regardless but i've heard people say that the heat from the bike coupled with the water already inside the cover from the bike can cause problems?

Any thoughts on that?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2013, 02:25:18 pm »
Yes. Don't do it.

Its a bad idea, because you have them created a perfect storm for rust to form in. Two catalysts for rust are salt and heat. So you cover your hot, wet (and the water will contain salt, moreso at this time of year) bike. The heat begins to dry the bike put and also speeds up the oxidisation process further ad it increases the amount of energy available to change the iron into rust.

In short. If you did it once or twice it would likely be fine, but it is still bad practice.

reddeviljp

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2013, 09:36:15 am »
I use an Oxford Aquatex and it's the bollocks. Comes with the under the belly-pan strap that locks and even in the gales it was never going to blow off. Very happy with it. £25.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2013, 06:39:36 pm »
Used an Oxford Stormex for many years without any problems (apart from having to replace it last year when a mouse made big holes in it over the summer).

just ordered one of these,as it seemed the best option of the 3 variants that OXFORD do

thanks again for the advice/tips  :)

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2013, 07:44:10 pm »
My Oxford rainex has been outside for the last 4 years in all weathers and still working a treat.