Author Topic: clunk  (Read 1181 times)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
clunk
« on: 18 January 2013, 09:28:47 pm »

why do bikes clunk into first gear from neutral? cars don't....
is it clean enough?

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: clunk
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2013, 09:47:32 pm »
slack in the chain mostly i think

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2013, 09:59:59 pm »
Cars have synchromesh . . it's like a cone shaped clutch between the dogs which get the two gears up to the same speed before engaging. Bikes don't have synchromesh largely because they don't need it. Not sure why, I'd hazard a guess at it being because they're sequential, the inertias are very low (except Harleys and old Guzzis) and the ratios are so close.

When going up the box, there's just enough of a slowdown of the input gear to allow time for the unloaded dog to slip into the window of the gear it's about to slide into, but when downshifting, we blip to unload the transmission and match the input and output gears to get that window. Which is why downshifting without a blip often gets a clonk too.

I think . .

Having Google it, I see there's not a lot of pages which explain this precisely, not that I'm 100% sure I've explained it correctly anyway!

« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 10:52:09 pm by AyJay »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2013, 09:44:20 am »
ayjay...well explained  :D .....clutchles gear changes are all about matching engine speed to road speed,the more you ride your bike the smoother the changes will be,you will get to know when the bikes happy to change up or down,with practice you can get a smooth change without using the clutch  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2013, 10:25:10 am »
ayjay...well explained  :D .....clutchles gear changes are all about matching engine speed to road speed,the more you ride your bike the smoother the changes will be,you will get to know when the bikes happy to change up or down,with practice you can get a smooth change without using the clutch  :D

just dont do clutchless comin down the gears. unless u want a fooked gearset. congrats on 1000 posts red. and may u today  get unexpectedly snowballed by a wicked shot and all the snow goes down the back of ur neck !! :lmao2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2013, 10:32:24 am »
thanks exupnut  :( ......lots of snow here in south bucks,loads of kids round yesterday with a epic snowball fight......and yes they did pick on me  :( :( :( :( :( .....fantastic fun though  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....