Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:49 am

Author Topic: New FZS1000 (on the continent)?  (Read 1497 times)

grenade

• Cager in Training
  • professional meanderer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New FZS1000 (on the continent)?
« on: 03 April 2015, 08:18:24 pm »

Last week returning to where I was parked (in Basel, Switzerland), I found a shiny new FZS1000 parked beside my 2005 model. It was completely identical to my bike in every way (other than my after-market mods), except it was brand spanking new. I was astonished. While I stood staring at it, it's owner turned up. I asked him how he kept his machine so shiny. He said he bought it new, a few weeks earlier. I told him that I thought they stopped building these in 2005 and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I tried to explain that in England, the FZS1000 became the FZ1 in 2006 with a different looking frame and seat and he started to get upset with me, like I was suggesting his dealer had passed him off with old stock. He indicated he wasn't interested in discussing it further and we parted ways.

I was genuinely excited. The only thing I want to change about my bike, is it's age. The gear changes have become a bit clunky and I feel like I'm not getting the 125hp that it dyno'd at a few years back. Other than that, I see most other bikes as inferior (for my needs). Because I do adv touring, the more capable machines (BMW, KTM) look to me, like they will attract unwanted attention (from thieves and undesirables) in some of the scarier places I ride (or want to ride). The FZS1000 ticks all the boxes for me (OK, I'll admit, I also want all-terrain tires, better shocks and I wouldn't complain if I got 150hp and a bigger fuel tank).

Does anyone know any more about this? Is it possible to buy a new FZS1000? Did I imagine the whole thing?
« Last Edit: 03 April 2015, 08:21:58 pm by grenade »
Criticism is something you can easily avoid by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: New FZS1000 (on the continent)?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2015, 09:43:08 pm »
Maybe it was new or news to him  :lol :lol :lol in more ways than one :lol :lol :lol

As far as I know production ceased in 2005, killed off by the emission regulations, a small few bikes lingering on to new 2007 registrations (mine is July 1st 2006) but was imported unregistered from Spain and registered in the UK in 2006. Now on an Irish plate.
I have seen a few 2006 registered FZS1000, but have only ever seen one 2007 reg FZS1000.

Unless they are being made in China or Brazil :eek

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: New FZS1000 (on the continent)?
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2015, 10:18:55 pm »

Last week returning to where I was parked (in Basel, Switzerland), I found a shiny new FZS1000 parked beside my 2005 model. It was completely identical to my bike in every way (other than my after-market mods), except it was brand spanking new. I was astonished. While I stood staring at it, it's owner turned up. I asked him how he kept his machine so shiny. He said he bought it new, a few weeks earlier. I told him that I thought they stopped building these in 2005 and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I tried to explain that in England, the FZS1000 became the FZ1 in 2006 with a different looking frame and seat and he started to get upset with me, like I was suggesting his dealer had passed him off with old stock. He indicated he wasn't interested in discussing it further and we parted ways.

I was genuinely excited. The only thing I want to change about my bike, is it's age. The gear changes have become a bit clunky and I feel like I'm not getting the 125hp that it dyno'd at a few years back. Other than that, I see most other bikes as inferior (for my needs). Because I do adv touring, the more capable machines (BMW, KTM) look to me, like they will attract unwanted attention (from thieves and undesirables) in some of the scarier places I ride (or want to ride). The FZS1000 ticks all the boxes for me (OK, I'll admit, I also want all-terrain tires, better shocks and I wouldn't complain if I got 150hp and a bigger fuel tank).

Does anyone know any more about this? Is it possible to buy a new FZS1000? Did I imagine the whole thing?
I think something was lost in translation with the owner ;) :lol
If it's broken, it's not fixed.